Project Cars [PS4, XO]

Apparently so:

http://wccftech.com/slightly-mad-studios-boss-nvidia-paid-penny-amd-working-fix-performance-issues/

After all these years Amd continues to totally suck at gpu drivers hence why I haven't touched one of their gpu's in years. Meanwhile the peanut gallery continue to blame it all on NVidia.
I had thought that, with AMD having secured both new-gen console gpu's, the necessity of optimizations for the consoles would translate well into the PC space for AMD line of GPUs, thought it would be good for AMD. I'm very surprised.

They do partly though? It may just as well be that they have been using a lot of their programming resources on that, at the cost of DirectX driver optimisation / per game optimisation (the amount of work Nvidia does for each major release is nothing short of staggering - I wonder if this is a good business model, and if Sony should adopt it to invest in making sure some of their advantages are used as well as possible). And DirectX on PC isn't the same as writing drivers for consoles.

We’re reaching out to AMD with all of our efforts. We’ve provided them 20 keys as I say. They were invited to work with us for years, looking through company mails the last I can see they (AMD) talked to us was October of last year.

Categorically, Nvidia have not paid us a penny. They have though been very forthcoming with support and co-marketing work at their instigation. We’ve had emails back and forth with them yesterday also. I reiterate that this is mainly a driver issue but we’ll obviously do anything we can from our side.

This is one of the reasons I now have an Nvidia card after having AMD for several generations.

Any blur you see on the car is caused by the "ghosting". When it's small enough, it looks like a blur apparently. I'm basing this because the programmer said they are leaving cars out of the motion blur shader.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=162346699&postcount=8514

It's also worth noting this was early in the timeline and he was "pretty sure" the ghosting was because of the motion blur! I then showed examples of ghosting on cars. It later turned out to be the AA. Given the info at hand, I thought the game didn't apply any motion blur on PS4. It turns out they do, but with absurdly reduced velocity setting.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21863-Ghosting-Issue/page3

A couple of reviews:

Recommended by Eurogamer (which means a 9 or more)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-08-project-cars-review

The second review scores the game sky high and highlights the stunning visuals and sublime handling.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/133831-project-cars-review-the-best-new-gen-racer-yet

For
Looks fabulous, car feel is unbelievably good, open-ended structure works beautifully, contains some of the world’s best tracks and cars, caters for the hardcore and casual alike

Against
Dodgy menuing system, inconsistent race engineer communications, online racing could use a bit more structure

They are trying to change that trend of years being behind the competition in the performance department, on the CPU and GPU side.
My comment had nothing to do with the performance of AMD parts, and I wouldn't say they've been behind in performance on the GPU side for years.

The main problem turns out for me that on PC:

1. the tire screech sounds are way too soft, to the point of being completely inaudible most of the times, so you can't hear when your losing grip sideways or locking any wheels when braking.
2. the default force feedback settings *per car* are off. They default to 26, which is far too little. Usually they need to be in the high 60s at least for you to start to feel your car hit the curbs. Even then though, contact with curbs is underreported at least on my DF Pro wheel.

I also tried driving with 3 screen support, and this is a real treat. It doesn't perfectly support it yet (the perspective seems a little off, making the center of the screen a bit too small, so waiting for a 3-screen setting as Assetto Corsa has), but otherwise it looks wonderful. Here the field of view setting for Cockpit and/or Helmet cams need to be at least 130 though before you can actually see enough of the car (i.e. including the speedometer, rpm, etc.).

So it needs slighly more work then, but otherwise, you can tell that the game has good physics underneath. I'm comparing, say, the Clio Cup car with my own driving in a Swith Rent4Ring car on the Nurburgring, and the behavior is very similar, and the G-forces are also very well simulated.

I also would recommend everyone to start with the Clio rather than the karts. They are surprisingly hard to drive (they chose difficult tracks, and don't really give you an opportunity to get to learn them in the career).

Is there any reason we can think of why the devs decided to add this 'feature' to the PS4 version and not to X1 or PC?
That's really curious indeed. If it's a nice image enhancement feature, they should at least give it as an option on the PC, if that feature is so taxing to provide on the Xbox One. (I think it's something like 50-50 or 60-40 frame blend with camera moved less than a pixel, shouldn't be too taxing, no? Though I'd gladly like to view a presentation of their anti-alias solution: until pointed out, SMS said they were using the same anti-alias solution as XBoxOne (EQAA))

The more curious part is, no review I've seen talks about it. If this is the case, SMS might have found the perfect anti alias solution: Cheap as bubble gum, and it does seem to provide nice anti-alias for everything standing still, and 99.5% of human population don't notice the ghosting when in motion.

This would be easy to test with any moblur free game video. Just edit it one frame offset with a 50% blend or whatever.

My comment had nothing to do with the performance of AMD parts, and I wouldn't say they've been behind in performance on the GPU side for years.
It seems like with Windows 10, AMD is back in the game. This Windows 8.1 vs Windows 10 comparison shows how much better the framerates of Project Cars are when running in Windows 10, using DirectX 11 both in Windows 8 and Windows 10. Better AMD drivers?

A new patch that will come out soon, will improve XO performance by a 4-7%. SMS say that we can expect more improvements in the future.

http://www.gamepur.com/news/18813-p...performance-xbox-one-4-7-dev-explains-no.html

How much of that is better AMD drivers vs better WDDM model utilizing resources better? I'd like to see if Nvidia experiences the same boost or not since their DX11 performance in resource limited situations was generally much better.

Wow, not even a DX12 version of the game.. That's a remarkable imrpovement. Of course more tests are needed with different setups to make sure this is not just caused by a bad Windows 8 installation.. Edit: Yes, it'd also be nice to see Nvidia as well.

Back