The Order: 1886

50 bucks is a lot harder to swallow than 10 bucks. People don't go and see 5 movies in a row. (just as they usually don't buy 5 indie games for 10 bucks a pop all at once)

I don't get the reviews frankly, if Heavy Rain and Beyond can have all the same mechanics and get good reviews, why can't The Order? Just because it let's you hold a gun ? Suddenly everything else fades and u expect it to be just like other shooters and not an adventure game.
What choices can you make in TO?

It is odd, like I said before - only other game to review (relatively) badly but was well recieved by gamers was Driveclub - both games had very high expectations and aimed for looks over substance...
(sorry if this is going off topic)

I think it happens more often than we realize. The discussion reappear whenever a game has a large amount of gamers who loved it, even if the "average" is similar between critics and gamers.

Ryse was more like 1886 in it's focus on graphics (but with multiplayer): gamers >> critics
Metacritic: 8 positive, 60 mixed, 9 negative
User Rating: 242 positive, 25 mixed, 68 negative

Knack was sub-par in terms of graphics, old school in terms of gameplay. gamers >> critics
Metacritic: 9 positive, 46 mixed, 28 negative
User Rating: 165 positive, 27 mixed, 38 negative

1886 is nowhere near the discrepancy of the above two games: gamers == critics
Metacritic: 28 positive, 36 mixed, 7 negative
User Rating: 327 positive, 39 mixed, 103 negative

Neither is Driveclub: gamers < critics
Metacritic: 45 positive, 38 mixed, 1 negative
User Rating: 171 positive, 35 mixed, 110 negative

All four games have a healthy pool of gamers who loved it, despite a mixed average.

What matters for sales, is the percentage of gamers who liked it enough to be satisfied with their purchase (and will buy the sequel, or the next game from that studio). Mixed reviews, or mixed gamers reception, is a completely different thing when everybody thought it was only an average game, versus 50% loved it and 50% hated it.

If you're on a tight budget then a game with much more replayability is likely to appeal more. Sure you can sell The Order but you won't get what you paid and then your having to find another game that fits within the price range of your sale.

no, you'd likely lose £10-20 depending how much you pay & sell for, still not bad value for at least 9 hours entertainment

It is odd, like I said before - only other game to review (relatively) badly but was well recieved by gamers was Driveclub - both games had very high expectations and aimed for looks over substance...

Look over substance and Drive Club? Are you kidding me? The game is full of single player content and when they were reviewing the game the online component worked well. The core gameplay is good...

And The Order 1886 is not so short when you play the first run on hard 10/11 hours for me. I think it miss a harder level of difficulty.

I like The Order 1886 but there are many flaws. Drive Club as a pure simcade racer is very good. At launch it was not so good because of online component. Now it is very good not excellent because replay and private lobbies are missing...

But in 2 to 3 months when the game will be feature complete it will be a blast and being one of the best game of current gen...

Last edited:
(sorry if this is going off topic)

I think it happens more often than we realize. The discussion reappear whenever a game has a large amount of gamers who loved it, even if the "average" is similar between critics and gamers.

Ryse was more like 1886 in it's focus on graphics (but with multiplayer): gamers >> critics
Metacritic: 8 positive, 60 mixed, 9 negative
User Rating: 242 positive, 25 mixed, 68 negative

Knack was sub-par in terms of graphics, old school in terms of gameplay. gamers >> critics
Metacritic: 9 positive, 46 mixed, 28 negative
User Rating: 165 positive, 27 mixed, 38 negative

1886 is nowhere near the discrepancy of the above two games: gamers == critics
Metacritic: 28 positive, 36 mixed, 7 negative
User Rating: 327 positive, 39 mixed, 103 negative

Neither is Driveclub: gamers < critics
Metacritic: 45 positive, 38 mixed, 1 negative
User Rating: 171 positive, 35 mixed, 110 negative

All four games have a healthy pool of gamers who loved it, despite a mixed average.

What matters for sales, is the percentage of gamers who liked it enough to be satisfied with their purchase (and will buy the sequel, or the next game from that studio). Mixed reviews, or mixed gamers reception, is a completely different thing when everybody thought it was only an average game, versus 50% loved it and 50% hated it.

Because you use user review as a metric on metacritic. Between the fanboy of each side and the astroturfing I don't think it is a relevant metric at all...

What shooting/fighting can u do in HR? C'mon.
Exactly and whats the point comparing it to other games. The only metric I use for rating a game is did I enjoy it and so far I'm loving the Order 1886 cool story, very cool characters and satisfying gunplay. I have also put about nine to ten hours into it and I'm on chapter twelve. Playing on hard without auto aim and I read the newspapers :) RAD
Why no zoom feature for the newspapers I have to get real close to read them lol.

no, you'd likely lose £10-20 depending how much you pay & sell for, still not bad value for at least 9 hours entertainment

Just to be clear - I don't have a problem with the game's length. I've bought, played and enjoyed shorter games like Heavenly Sword and Modern Warfare 1, 2 and 3 where I only played the campaigns (many times, admittedly) and I've failed to complete a lot of games because I just tired of them before the game is over. I have too little free time to spend playing a game I'm not fully enjoying.

If you enjoyed heavenly sword I think you would enjoy the Order:) so if I was you and you see a good priced second hand one in like a month or so, give it a chance :)

I recall that Heavenly Sword seems very different to how reviews describe The Order. HS is not constantly cutting back and forth between gameplay and cutscenes, the combat is open and freeform and the game is most definitely not holding your hand through the game. I took the time to master Heavenly Sword's combat. The Heavenly Sword was my bitch :yes: I think there are only superficial similarities between the two games.

'
I hated DriveClub and I would probably hate this. But I think I agree with the "looks over substance"....

Personal vendetta against the game? Conspiracy against Sony? Lol.

Why do you even bring up Sony! No one mentioned it. Only for you, Sony is so important. Lol...you guys are funny :)

PS: I also think that reviewers had a personal vendetta against Ryse btw ;-)

Last edited:
Why do you even bring up Sony! No one mentioned it. Only for you, Sony is so important. Lol...you guys are funny :)

PS: I also think that reviewers had a personal vendetta against Ryse btw ;-)

A vendetta over what? Why would reviewers, in general, have some axe to grind with RAD? Every other game Ready At Dawn has made has been well received. It doesn't make sense.

Same with Ryse. The idea that the game was somehow ganged up on by reviewers who are out to get the developer is insane.

Back