The Order: 1886

Having different tastes is not a vendetta.
Can't we at least agree that opinions are honestly split?

1. Bad reviews prove the game sucks, and good reviews are bought by Sony.
2. Good reviews prove the game is great, and bad reviews are bought by Microsoft.

Confirmation bias is a powerful thing when looking for conspiracies. :yes:

Beautiful concepts for other cities.

They really had plans for a huge world.

10981307_941624009183276_4214070348444594734_o.jpg

10830510_941624002516610_7669666198958226010_o.jpg

11022557_941623995849944_7767699041481661607_o.jpg

Is it? It does look like it.

Someone said it was berlin, florence, and sydney. I gladly believed it and reposted here without question. :-|

Well it does look like a lot of planned content was cut eventually, so it could be anything, especially as it's a fictional timeline.

The flag in the top image is blue white red which is Yugoslavia I think. My guess is that it is supposed to be France though.
I'm seeing it as black-white-red, which would be the correct colors for germany in 1886.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_German_flags

Second image seems to be the santa maria del fiore in florence.

Third... I don't know, this must be the place where they invented vegemite.

Last edited:
I'm seeing it as black-white-red, which would be the correct colors for germany in 1886.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_German_flags

Second image seems to be the santa maria del fiore in florence.

Third... I don't know, this must be the place where they invented vegemite.

Oh you could be right. Now I look at it again it does look more black than blue. And that makes sense as the
Agamemnon makes direct flights to Germany according to the flight plan you see

You said TO has the same mechanics than HR and Beyond. Choice is one of the main mechanics lacking in TO compared with those games.
TO has the same QTE's, focus on story and gfx and lack of exploration+ linearity.
HR/Beyond had choices, TO has gunplay. One gets 1,2,4 out of 10, others don't.

As soon as the collector's edition comes down in price, I'm picking this up. Hearing excellent things about the graphics at our studio and I am anxious to experience it.

For now, it's almost universally agreed that this game is the graphics king. That says a lot about the team that made the game IMO. Talented folks!

The game is so good visually. I am on my second run for platinum and it continues to impress. I try one thing to play to Infamous and KZ SF yesterday visually they are far from The Order 1886. For Infamous it is not so fair an Open world game.

On PS4 it is setting a benchmark.

Last edited:
The game is so good visually. I am on my second run for platinum and it continues to impress. I try one thing to play to Infamous and KZ SF yesterday they are far from visually The Order 1886. For Infamous it is not so fair an Open world game.

On PS4 it is setting a benchmark.

To be honest, I would love to see this game on the PC.. ;) But alas, we'll have to settle for PS4 for now.

I wonder if the game would look the same? How much of the look and the decision they made is driven by the PS4 being a limited platform.
The black bars necessary for the aspect ratio would almost certainly be optional.

The black bars necessary for the aspect ratio would almost certainly be optional.

If they keep black bar you can keep the same ratio but with 4K, 60 fps, better AF and even better MSAA and better quality for self shadowing, it is the biggest visual flaw of The Order 1886 very visible during all cutscenes. Everything is very consistent in quality. I think motion blur and DOF are full res effect or worst case 1/2 res effect but I doubt it. I like the fog, the volumetric lightning, materials, character model, cloth physics, music, sound. Not everything is new, they used baked GI lightning because they don't need a dynamic world but everything is top notch. Maybe they will answer about their choice in a GDC or Siggraph presentation but I will not be surprise for example if they did not use screen space reflection because it was not good enough for the visual they wanted to achieve. I doubt an Open world game can be so consistent in visual quality and it is not a question of power but probably budget...

They can improve skin shading but it is not a power problem it can be done on PS4. Skin shader is a bit weird in sunny condition. And the most extreme facial expression like anger are sometimes weird some uncanny valley problem. I think maybe they can improve eyes but it is much better than in early build. After replaying a little Infamous it is on par for facial expression. But I was more impressed by Naughty Dog facial expression work on UC4 demo but we need to wait to see more of this game. And it depends of the character some are better than other.

I think the best praise to RAD is that you need to scrutinize the game to find flaw and the most proeminent are only visible during cutscene. Maybe the first game to look better during gameplay than realtime cutscene but it depends of scene some are very good with only one very visible flaw self shadowing.

Yesterday I was watching a Bloodborne trailer and I think all team need to take care of specular aliasing because after playing The Order 1886 it is hurtful for my eyes.

The game has some flaws but I like it some qualities:
  • Best PS4 visual and among the best on all platform.
  • Shooting part of it
  • Sound design during battle, not only sound of gun but advice of friendly AI
  • Friendly and enemy AI during shooting. Enemies AI talk between them and are coordinate. . And you can use their talk against them. thumb up for this! Special mention to chapter 3 big battle.
  • The different class of ennemies are good.
  • The command are very precise and good.
  • Very good fictional weapons
  • The story is good and good acting.
  • It is not a QTE fest
  • Very good balance for hard level of difficulty it must have been the normal mode. No problem of game length with this.

They can improve many things and if someone of RAD reading this forum can talk about my grieves:
  • Some character miss some exposition
    I wasn't emotionally involved into Perceval death because during the first part of the game we were mostly with Lafayette and Igraine. Same thing for Lucan treason very easy to guess because you never had a mission with him before. Igraine anger against Galahad is much more credible. And some people find it strange than Galahad don't pick Igraine or Lafayette with him but it is logical he loves Igraine and doesn't want her to be involve into this unofficial and dangerous mission and Lafayette is a new member of the Order. It is my only grip with the story. Character exposition is much better in TLOU or ICO or Shadow of the Colossus.
  • Enemy AI can improve it look like enemies always know where you are during a shoot sequence and melee is not very useful because of it. If the enemies have vision cone maybe it is more a problem of level design. Battle are often a big room with only cover and nothing to hide. I don't ask the game to be TLOU because the game is more a shooter but it can give more option to the player to fight. Keep some big scenes of shooting but give other scene a more complex level design where you can mix hide and seek with shooting. Another rare flaw Most of the time enemies fight you but also your teammate. During the bridge sequence one shotgunner only fight against you and ignore your teammate, annoying. Try to send more shotgunner maybe.
  • I was annoyed by munitions everywhere, it is more a videogame design fault not visible only in RAD game. When possible give possibility to the friendly AI to give munition to the player with a little dialogue. And when you want the player to use a new weapon don't let the weapon on a bench but for example the room before or even better two rooms before. And no infinite munition like in Chapter 3 battle next time.
  • Prologue is very good on story side but it is very bad in term of game. If it was a movie maybe I would have quit the theater because of my deception
    Give control to the player only a few second is bad and TLOU scene when Joel is hurt is what you need to do.
  • One bad sequence during shooting
    Fight with Lycans are very weak. The game is a very good cover shooter but when you need to fight lycan shooting from the hip would have been convenient but you need to shoot with crosshair because the head of Galahad hide the lycan. No visual feedback at all when you touch the beast and no feedback if it is efficient or not.
  • Infiltration, insta death was not the biggest problem for me but the AI is so bad no sound cone because you can run to arrive 2 or 3 meter behind the guard or walk with discretion it is the same thing. And I hate the automatic sequence with the animation with triangle prompt and the fact you need to keep a certain distance between you and the guard when you touch the triangle if not he turns and kill you.
  • QTE are too surprising and unpredicatble sometimes.
  • Other series of minor weakness, traversal problem when the scenery is complex. Do like Naughty dog in TLOU give an indication to the player after a certain time in the same area. QTE fight against Lycans need more explanation, I was angry until someone on a forum tell me that indication arrive on the side of the blow. And maybe you need to change timing of low blow it is much more difficult to read because of the FOV of the game. The game need another higher level of difficulty, it is too easy on second run. During non fighting sequence give possiblity to the player to run in the street it is ok in building to walk. Don't make shoulder change on touchpad next time, as an exclusive PS4 developer not use DS4 speaker for phonograph is a crime. The game miss multiplayer and coop component but I am mostly a single player gamer.
I hope the sales will be good for example 2 or 3 millions and the next game will be greenlight and become a franchise. You can improve and it will be easier now than, the technology ,tools and content pipeline are ready. I think scale from 40 people to 120 people was not easy too. Now RAD only need to improve gameplay add more mode and content and improve the tech not build it.

EDIT: The art direction is top notch and artists did a great job. I think it can have edge even against some more advanced rendering engine because of this. It will not be a surprise to see more and more Forward plus games MSAA is so important for IQ.

Last edited:
Look over substance and Drive Club? Are you kidding me? The game is full of single player content and when they were reviewing the game the online component worked well. The core gameplay is good...

I'm fairly certain the complaints were that it wasn't open world and lacked 'content and features' of other games, hence my comment.

I'm fairly certain the complaints were that it wasn't open world and lacked 'content and features' of other games, hence my comment.

Since when a driving game need to be Open world, imagine a world without Drive Club, Forza or GT... DC is simple no customisation of car, same car for all people only AI or human or time or challenge against your skill. It is the essence of driving.

They can improve visual customisation of car but I don't want engine customisation in Drive Club. A game is not a chekbox feature. It is choice of a developer.

Last edited:
Got it via Gamestop trade-in yesterday and played for a bit too. Seriously folks, if this game didn't look half as incredible as it admittedly does, nobody would give a single fuck about it. The story is dull as hell, the shooting isn't gratifying because there's almost no punch to it, combat feels stale because the A.I. is happy to just stay in place while taking pot shots from behind cover, and most of the time you're really just slowly walking about doing nothing. Supposedly the stealth is even worse than the combat (I'm not that far in), and if the reviews are to be believed, the story doesn't even come with an ending.

So far I'm sufficiently distracted by the spectacle to press on, but then I'm also what you'd call a graphics whore. Lucky me, because the gameplay in this game is utter shit.

Also: Damn you critics for hating on this game just because you're not "understanding" it.:rolleyes:

Since when a driving game need to be Open world, imagine a world without Drive Club, Forza or GT... DC is simple no customisation of car, same car for all people only AI or human or challenge against your skill. It is the essence of driving.

They can improve visual customisation of car but I don't want engine customisation in Drive Club. A game is not a chekbox feature. It is choice of a developer.

I don't disagree, I'm talking about why reviewers knocked points off...there were silly comparisons to it being limited compared to Forza Horizon and there being a lack of overall content.

Got it via Gamestop trade-in yesterday and played for a bit too. Seriously folks, if this game didn't look half as incredible as it admittedly does, nobody would give a single fuck about it. The story is dull as hell, the shooting isn't gratifying because there's almost no punch to it, combat feels stale because the A.I. is happy to just stay in place while taking pot shots from behind cover, and most of the time you're really just slowly walking about doing nothing. Supposedly the stealth is even worse than the combat (I'm not that far in), and if the reviews are to be believed, the story doesn't even come with an ending.

So far I'm sufficiently distracted by the spectacle to press on, but then I'm also what you'd call a graphics whore. Lucky me, because the gameplay in this game is utter shit.

Also: Damn you critics for hating on this game just because you're not "understanding" it.:rolleyes:

Your are at the beginning, prologue and a part of 1rst chapter are very bad, like I said if it was a movie I would have not seen the end... I begin to like the game middle of chapter 3. And you will see not all enemies stay on cover, it depends the weapon they have. After I have 9 people on my friend list having the game 7 think it is a good game(7) but not very good(8) or excellent (9+) game. It will not be a GOTY contender and will be forgettable out of visual after end of generation. And 2 think the game is very bad out of the visual.

It is a good game 70/100 for me too many flaws and not a GOTY contender at all... Maybe Bloodborne will be the first big critical hit for the PS4...

Last edited:
Back