The Order: 1886

I think we need a new Killzone. One with atmosphere and dialog of KZ2, pacing of KZ3 and precise, responsive controls of KZSF.

Except it's not worded as such. It's presented as a objective quality of the game rather than subjective preference.
This is getting interesting. What needs to be determined here is whether most gamers in the target audience honestly think it looks amazing. This is the end goal for the company making the game, and therefore it's arguably the measure of success for their artistic choices. There are few other metrics available.

I agree there's a difference between a single personal statement of preference and a generalization about the opinion of the target audience, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I guess the later was implied, and it cannot be easily dismissed.
The number of people who believe something has no relevance on how reasonable that belief is.
It does here. The consensus among members of the target audience (that the game looks amazing) is exactly the relevant data. The statement is arguable, but reasonable.

This is getting interesting. What needs to be determined here is whether most gamers in the target audience honestly think it looks amazing. This is the end goal for the company making the game, and therefore it's arguably the measure of success for their artistic choices. There are few other metrics available.

I agree there's a difference between a single personal statement of preference and a generalization about the opinion of the target audience, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I guess the later was implied, and it cannot be easily dismissed.

It does here. The consensus among members of the target audience (that the game looks amazing) is exactly the relevant data. The statement is arguable, but reasonable.
There's quite the difference between "looks amazing" and "[it] is the first current gen game to look head and shoulder above the rest". Exactly what criteria is being used to make that determination? You'd need an objective criteria to make that call. Then again, how do you decide on the elements of that criteria? If we measured say, "crispness" it would be immediately disqualified xD.

There's quite the difference between "looks amazing" and "[it] is the first current gen game to look head and shoulder above the rest". Exactly what criteria is being used to make that determination? You'd need an objective criteria to make that call. Then again, how do you decide on the elements of that criteria? If we measured say, "crispness" it would be immediately disqualified xD.
On an informal discussion forum, you have to make allowances for hyperbolic vernacular. People will use their natural language when expressing themselves.

As I said it's arguable, as in not proven. "It's [arguably] the first current gen game to look head and shoulder above the rest"

I imagine a poll "Does 1886 looks head and shoulder above the rest", with a good enough sampling of gamers would be good data. Right now all we have is an unscientific general impression, reading forums, and reading the impressions from gamers. It's still useful data.

On an informal discussion forum, you have to make allowances for hyperbolic vernacular. People will use their natural language when expressing themselves.
Sure. My point simply is that many of us here should know better by now xD.

As I said it's arguable, as in not proven. "It's [arguably] the first current gen game to look head and shoulder above the rest"

I imagine a poll "Does 1886 looks head and shoulder above the rest", with a good enough sampling of gamers would be good data. Right now all we have is an unscientific general impression, reading forums, and reading the impressions from gamers. It's still useful data.
We certainly have plenty of data which shows that players think it looks amazing. The "first to look above the rest" part is another matter entirely.

It's kind of funny looking back and seeing how crappy that reveal trailer looks by today's standards.

What's funny is just how much this 10-years old piece still has on current game rendering technology - a huge scene geometry complexity, proper hair rendering, full dynamic GI lighting, volumetrics, and so on.

Sure, the art direction and the asset quality could be done better today, even on the same budget; but it's still unmistakably offline rendered. There's no game renderer out there that could match the results.

What's funny is just how much this 10-years old piece still has on current game rendering technology - a huge scene geometry complexity, proper hair rendering, full dynamic GI lighting, volumetrics, and so on.

Sure, the art direction and the asset quality could be done better today, even on the same budget; but it's still unmistakably offline rendered. There's no game renderer out there that could match the results.

Which shows that for a person like me art > tech.

Ok. Initial impressions of the graphics are stellar! The best use of PBR materials to date followed by a close second by AC:Unity. They have so many variety of materials in this game that's quite a surprise but again, I see how they was able to pull it off (see further impressions). The geometry looks pretty good and I see a lot of curvature with most objects. I can't really judge the texture quality or filtering because these are compressed videos. Framerate seems to run pretty stable. Lighting looks on par with AC:Unity as well. Environment lighting looks pretty good with good baked GI light probes for indirect illumination.

Now for the bad part -- the game is extremely linear and almost feels like it's taking you through a tour of the game. Lots of enclosed spaces that you can't explore. Too many QTEs just to move the story forward. It feels even more linear than Ryse because of all the cutscenes they throw at you. Also counted the number of enemies on screen during a firefight and sadly, they limit this to like 4-5 at most. Also, while some objects can move around (i.e. cans, teapots, glasses, bottles, etc..) others can't. I also hate the shadow projection reflection implementation. I'd rather have color or nothing at all. They also seemed to have skimped out on dynamic occlusion for the character against a wall during a firefight. I couldn't see any shadow. I hate the SSS maps on the ears. I wish they could have done a more conservative approach as they went overboard. Looks quite unnatural to me. Lastly, still no real hair like in TR, but oh well..

Overall, this is definitely the Ryse game for PS4 owners. But I'm still more impressed with AC:Unity's open world and number of NPCs, open buildings, and free roaming with 2nd place PBR materials and par lighting.

May I ask why? If someone expresses their opinion that they find a game or piece of art to be "the most impressive thing they've seen", why must they qualify that with any objective criteria?

Surely it's an inherently subjective statement, and I don't think you need a degree in english literature to be able to take it as such.

If the dude had said, "it's the most technically impressive game and stands head and shoulders above the rest" I could understand your stance. He simply said "it LOOKS head and shoulders above the rest", which implies that it's based on his own subjective opinion which cannot be argued against.

For someone who was getting so riled up with me about my supposed dismissing of people's opinions about this game, you're really working hard to do the same to this guy.

Ryse is the most boring game that i have ever played, seems like a tech demo transformed in a game, and the order is miles away from it. This is the first hour of the game, many action adventure game have this kind of tutorial intros and slowness, it's much more similar to Uncharted in the structure ( they have taken inspiration from that series and it clearly apparent in these video) in how is executed. I doubt that if you touch heavy objects these alwasy move so easy, anyway it bother me too these things, in uncharted games there was the same behavior. For the graphic alone the order is the king of the kingdom, let's see who will beat it in the future.

Based on the videos posted above:
Visually: Holy smokes awesome (not a fan on the back bars though and as VFX sais above there a tons of noticeable shortcuts taken that pop up once the player actually has control of the camera)
The rest: WTF is that? Dragon's Lair? This is an interactive movie :( the few Gameplay sections (actual shooting etch) look boring/lame as hell.

Based on the videos posted above:
Visually: Holy smokes awesome (not a fan on the back bars though)
The rest: WTF is that? Dragon's Lair? This is an interactive movie :( the few Gameplay sections (actual shooting etch) look boring/lame as hell.

it's a cinematic shooter, simply, and this is known it from a very long time, this is the first hour of the game, with an integrated tutorial in it, and is very similar to Uncharted in so many ways. Do you like it ? You play! This genre is boring for you ? Move one! It's so easy! I remember another Dragon's lair in terms of interactivity.....

wow the qte is sooooo out of context. they can learn from asura wrath

btw the drama is forced dunno how they will make it consistent with gameplay (enemy will shoot at you even when you are holding hostage, boss enemy wont aim at you when you are holding enemy, locks can easily be destroyed to your advantage)

Last edited:
Now for the bad part -- the game is extremely linear and almost feels like it's taking you through a tour of the game. Lots of enclosed spaces that you can't explore. Too many QTEs just to move the story forward. It feels even more linear than Ryse because of all the cutscenes they throw at you. Also counted the number of enemies on screen during a firefight and sadly, they limit this to like 4-5 at most. Also, while some objects can move around (i.e. cans, teapots, glasses, bottles, etc..) others can't. I also hate the shadow projection reflection implementation. I'd rather have color or nothing at all. They also seemed to have skimped out on dynamic occlusion for the character against a wall during a firefight. I couldn't see any shadow. I hate the SSS maps on the ears. I wish they could have done a more conservative approach as they went overboard. Looks quite unnatural to me. Lastly, still no real hair like in TR, but oh well..

Overall, this is definitely the Ryse game for PS4 owners. But I'm still more impressed with AC:Unity's open world and number of NPCs, open buildings, and free roaming with 2nd place PBR materials and par lighting.
I'd still reserve judgement on some of the "shortfalls" such as number of enemies on screen, movable objects or the openness of the level in general since we still haven't seen everything the game has to offer. Also cloth physics and character model are the best I've seen so far, the fact they're consistent with cut scene all the time puts it above 99% of games out there. Ac Unity awes in a very different way by showing huge vista and unholy number of npcs while The Order succeeds at quality per pixel with maximum amount of care on individual characters and assets. For me the latter naturally offers a far more CGI look on a per pixel basis.
We certainly have plenty of data which shows that players think it looks amazing. The "first to look above the rest" part is another matter entirely.
Still so hung up with my earlier statement I see. Well like others have pointed out I didn't specify "technically" it's head and shoulder above everything else, just what I can perceive optically. And in the end isn't that what really matters? What good is shoehorning a slew of techniques when your result is less than stellar whether doe to bad art or forced to make sacrifices else where?

we dont need anymore KZ...

Slightly off topic, but indeed what the heck is GG doing since KZ SF ? Last time there was some news, it was mentioned they were working on "new IP".

And please never ever such a trailer again supposedly demonstrating the power of a console, then 2 years later releasing the game heavily downgraded.

Back