All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well everything you've said can be applied to both camps so it's a wash. The fact is early next year (when sales will struggle) MS has very little compared to Sony, and anything announced at E3 will likely be for the following year, and as I've already said I can't see the PS4 momentum slowing...I mean, why would it?

its very true both ways. I never said anything else except that I'm sure MS has more games at e3 so I wouldn't worry about them.

Sony is going into 2015 with a more expensive console and while it has some earlier exclusives they are really unknown quantities since neither of them are a continuation of previous franchises and at least for the order its getting mixed reviews as of now( its still early however)

Don't forget that while Sunset / Halo and Forza horizion were out this year they will continue to sell and be a motivating force for new buyers in January and Feb of 2015.

I don't think its that cut and dry for 2015. in 2013 early 2014 a lot of people though that Sony would have more exclusives than MS this holiday and it didn't work out that way.

What big PS4 games are we waiting to be released very soon except of Bloodborne?

Sony has bloodborne and the order I believe early in 2015 and so far MS only has a partner ship with evolve for first beta and first dlc that we know of.

Did I ever tell you, you are an asshole? :p

To maintain momentum in the US Sony would have to sell 9.6 Million in one year in the US alone. Is that likely to happen?

To maintain momentum in the US Sony would have to sell 9.6 Million in one year in the US alone. Is that likely to happen?
Thats a very unlikely target. I dont understand though. Why should we associate such a high target with momentum?

Thats a very unlikely target. I dont understand though. Why should we associate such a high target with momentum?

Because the original post said they didn't see Sony momentum slowing down. I took the logical approach of using the current momentum of 800K sold in one month and continued that for the year.

Because the original post said they didn't see Sony momentum slowing down. I took the logical approach of using the current momentum of 800K sold in one month and continued that for the year.
Haven't they been selling roughly 1 million a month world wide? I think that's about right and also think its sustainable. However if MS can continue to subsidize cost of adaption for XB1 we might see some of that number move to MS.

Haven't they been selling roughly 1 million a month world wide? I think that's about right and also think its sustainable. However if MS can continue to subsidize cost of adaption for XB1 we might see some of that number move to MS.

They sold 800K in November in the US. That's the most recent sales numbers we've been talking about the past few pages and that's what the original post about momentum not slowing down was responding to.

Oh I dont think he meant that.
Perhaps he meant very very healthy sales and more sales than competition.

The real test of the console game industry's health is now and I believe a big and sustained post-holiday slowdown is going to show it's not as healthy as it was perceived to be. Of course, the indicators of this lack of health have been there all along.

It's possible - nay likely - that Microsoft have heavily cannibalised their January and February sales with their very generous sale.

January and February often show a lull in sales anyway but for any prospective Xbox One buyers who were planning or saving to buy a One early next year, then the November / December price cut is a phenomemally tempting reason to stretch yourself and get it earlier than planned, rather than in one or two months time when the price goes back up and the tempting bundles disappear.

If all they achieve with the sale is front-loading sales for the November thru February period and, on average, sell no more than they would have done anyway, but have also lost revenue because of the sales and bundles, then that's not great except in PR terms.

Of course WHAT IF questions are impossible to answer, but they'll be a sense of sales in January and February using whatever metrics people can scrape together.

Front loaded for November mostly is a thought. November is essentially Xbox Fan Service with MCC and COD coming out at the same time as the price cut and crazy bundled pricing ( including gift cards etc. ) . December might be a bit lighter than it seems now. Part of this equation is how many people actually believe MS will let the price go back up in January dropping sales down to very low levels as opposed to merely low ones ? A sense of scarcity was the point of the exercise besides merely capitalizing on MMC/COD ( as well as getting rid of excess stock, covering lots of bases is a theme with MS/Xbox ) and if folks logically assume there will be no price increase there will be less incentive to buy in December so the buying decision for those not already on board with MCC/COD might be put off until whenever.

December will give MS the scoop on how much value the public puts on the perceived performance differential ( 50 bucks is a good number to start with as any ) and give them an idea of when to introduce a cost reduced $299 BD-less version that I think is an obvious next phase.

In terms of BOMs etc I wonder how much old stock ended up being sold at the discounted price and has there been another tear down of an XB1 to see if the main board and other components were reved for lower cost ??

Oh I dont think he meant that.
Perhaps he meant very very healthy sales and more sales than competition.

I would hope not. That is why I asked why that momentum would continue.

I completely agree that the PS4 will continue to outpace the competition and see broader adoption rates. It'll likely even continue to widen the gap and even increase the ratio!

its very true both ways. I never said anything else except that I'm sure MS has more games at e3 so I wouldn't worry about them.

Sony is going into 2015 with a more expensive console and while it has some earlier exclusives they are really unknown quantities since neither of them are a continuation of previous franchises and at least for the order its getting mixed reviews as of now( its still early however)

Don't forget that while Sunset / Halo and Forza horizion were out this year they will continue to sell and be a motivating force for new buyers in January and Feb of 2015.

I don't think its that cut and dry for 2015. in 2013 early 2014 a lot of people though that Sony would have more exclusives than MS this holiday and it didn't work out that way.

Forza Horizon 2 probably sell less than Drive Club. The sales of driving game comes from Europe and except in UK the gap between Xbox One and PS4 is huge... Much bigger than PS3 and 360 gap for the moment, very often 2:1 in most country continental Europe. 7:1 in Spain, 4:1 in Germany. In March I heard 4:1 for monthly sale in France and 5:1 for December. Many store do some big discount on Xbox One for clearing stock... The console and 5 games for 399 euros for example...

Forza sells much less than GT because Playstation console are more popular in Europe. It is the inverse of metacritics between the two racing game...

Last edited:
Forza Horizon 2 probably sell less than Drive Club. The sales of driving game comes from Europe and except in UK the gap between Xbox One and PS4 is huge... Much bigger than PS3 and 360 for The moment. 7:1 in Spain, 4:1 in Germany. In March I heard4:1 for monthly sale in France and 5:1 for December.

Forza sells much less than GT because Playstation console are more popular in Europe.

That's a shame if Europe would rather buy a buggy broken game than a really solid game like forza .

Seems to be very silly if you ask me.

That's a shame if Europe would rather buy a buggy broken game than a really solid game like forza .

Seems to be very silly if you ask me.
The point was that there's a lot more Playstations in EU than X1, so it's more likely that DC sold more because of the larger install base. It's not like PS4 owners have a choice between DC and Forza. For us it's DC or DC. Do we even have figures to confirm these sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back