*spin-off* Ryse Trade-Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't you agreeing with Jay there Shifty?
Yes. I'm disagreeing with the article

Well obviously Crytek saw some merit for using 150k at the beginning , all those polys were there for a reason .
Because they had a polygon budget and designed the models for it, and then found it wasn't contributing anything worthwhile to the visuals. Possibly.
If they kept the 150k and add better shading + no LODs yes , that is optimisation .
Now it's a trade off .
Well, we can argue semantics over whever it's an optimisation or a compromise, but that doesn't really matter. The issue is people assuming less polygons == downgrade, ignoring completely the purpose of those triangles and considering the point that really matters - what's on screen. If what the eye sees isn't any worse, it's not a downgrade.

I actually like less shine, for me it's more realistic.

I'm fully prepared to hear that the second pic is incorrect and not from the current build or something.
Mistakes happen :)

Maybe they should have tried something like the The Order 1886 guys are doing rendering with 1920*800 with black bars(Or was that only for cinematics ingame?) it 96k pixels more.

https://twitter.com/RealtimeCevat/status/383508732296323072

Indeed... I wonder where exactly they took their pounds of flesh, so to speak. They can also be more aggressive in some parts of his model than others.

A twitter confirmation wasn't really needed, since Yerli mentioned the polygon count this past Tuesday.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/09/25/c...me-with-ryse-on-xbox-one/#IQpwTUAp5PdS4JiV.99

“Next-gen enables us to really heighten the gameplay experience,” said Yerli. “With the combined power of CryEngine and next-gen platforms we can close the gap between games and cinematic experiences.”

Yerli went over a number of techniques that Crytek is implementing in Ryse. For example, Xbox One’s power enables the studio to use the same exact character models from the video cutscenes during gameplay. The model for Ryse hero Marius includes 85,000 triangle polygons and 770 joints for life-like articulation. Many of those joints are in Marius’s face.

Is anyone really able to tell that the polygon count has decreased by looking at those screens? I can't. Seems like a good choice.

Saw this posted on gaf a comparison before downgrade and after?
Seems to have some nice lighting and skin improvements.

Before:
ryse_son_of_rome_3.jpg

After?
9mV8V6c.jpg

Those pictures should be switched around... the top is actually XB1, the bottom is the PC-XB1 approximation. The black belt/strap clipping through the armor is a dead give away. Plus, I reviewed a couple of videos, the first one is far more in line with the recent build.

Darn!! The "After" picture has a richer background, lights, rain, better sky...

But most of all, the skin Shaders look amazing.:oops: The game has improved a lot, it looks like CGI /characters/.

Day one buy for me since a long time ago.

The textures aren't as sharp but again, the shading is like 100x times better in the second screen and they don't look as lifeless as in the "before" screen where the textures seem to be glued to the image rather than being part of it.

The second picture has been quite heavily doctored as well. If you look at the septimes shoulder plates you can see some obvious clipping in the first picture but it has been photochopped in the second picture.

Anyone have a source for the images/screengrabs?

What videos?

The head of the soldier is a completely different model. Even the lion head is pushed back a bit on the second one.

Those pictures should be switched around... the top is actually XB1, the bottom is the PC-XB1 approximation. The black belt/strap clipping through the armor is a dead give away. Plus, I reviewed a couple of videos, the first one is far more in line with the recent build.

Are you really sure?

EDIT: The recent videos are from the multiplayer. The vidoc (the last video from the campaing) is from July.

Those pictures should be switched around...
That's an important consideration - what's the source of these two images for comparison, and are they even comparing the models at different polygon resolutions, or are they different builds using same geometry? Given the source is GAF, I imagine the comparison is complete and utter bollocks showing jack shit but giving them plenty of material for powering their endless noise-generation protocol...

Until we get source data, those screenshots serve no purpose other than to show there are different, unqualified visual references out there.

Are you really sure?

EDIT: The recent videos are from the multiplayer. The vidoc (the last video from the campaing) is from July.

Just looking at the E3 PC-XB1 build Vs. the current XB1 build, you can tell things have changed... the skin shaders/textures are slightly scaled back (not much, but it's there). The biggest concern shouldn't be Ryse overall visual appeal, but rather the lacking animation - or stiffness in the characters. The cutscenes are awesome, but once the gameplay kicks in, it ruins the cinematic feel.

Just looking at the E3 PC-XB1 build Vs. the current XB1 build, you can tell things have changed... the skin shaders/textures are slightly scaled back (not much, but it's there). The biggest concern shouldn't be Ryse overall visual appeal, but rather the lacking animation - or stiffness in the characters. The cutscenes are awesome, but once the gameplay kicks in, it ruins the cinematic feel.

Is there a video with current build? again, the last videos (since Gamescom) are from multiplayer.

The combat videos? how can you compare a full level of the game with small videos showing some combat?

Dude really? :rolleyes:

The video link that I presented, has way more than enough footage on seeing that things have changed. If you choose to believe it or not, is your choice, which I have no problem with. There are low quality textures in some places that are obvious now, compared to the E3 build. And the animation has gotten slightly worst - but that's my take on what I see now, compared to back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back