*spin-off* Ryse Trade-Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't the simple answer be; is that they reduced the main character(s) mesh to accomplish a certain frame-rate and enemy count? Hell, they reduced the resolution, why not the meshes.

I'm implying the numbers different that could be from any number of things.

But we don't know the reason(s) for downgrading the triangle number. We can only speculate.

I guess they need more time and it is impossible at all, then, they choose to go to 900p and less triangles.

It looks like Ryse is using subsurface scattering for the faces.

I think so..yes.

iJKtgxwQvdpl7.png

Perhaps it's just the reality of the actual hardware as opposed to the dev kits? It's a downgrade for sure but who's going to actually notice?

The number of polygons is immaterial as long as one cannot see the polygon intersects. Is the 85k a horrible, pointy messy? Nope? Then the reduction in triangle budget is the sensible thing to not waste resources!

Discussion about the difference in polygon counts requires two very large, detailed images for comparison, to see what perceivable difference it has made. the numbers are meaningless without context.

https://twitter.com/RealtimeCevat/status/383508732296323072

Hero Marius 85k polys? It was choice: 150k polys w LODs vs 85K + better shading + no LODs (stable). The latter wo at better quality!
The number of polygons is immaterial as long as one cannot see the polygon intersects. Is the 85k a horrible, pointy messy? Nope? Then the reduction in triangle budget is the sensible thing to not waste resources!

Indeed... I wonder where exactly they took their pounds of flesh, so to speak. They can also be more aggressive in some parts of his model than others.

Yes, the 85k is from DICE Summit, 2 or 2 days ago.

EDIT: It looks like Ryse is using subsurface scattering for the faces.

And vegetation by default. It actually uses SSS for skin since Crysis 2 and it worked on current-gen consoles too.
Actually in SDK You can apply SSS to everything You want.

---

Cevat's presentation is here: http://www.twitch.tv/dice/b/465212354
Starts at 1:16h

----
Also there is scene from E3 demo with updated lighting and Marius model lacks dagger on back belt.

Personally I can see the difference between the LoDs.

I preferred the clever use of LoDs. It can be seemless and only techno-nerds like us know it. But to the average player they can be fooled into thinking the in game cinematic LoD Marius head model is one and the same as the gameplay full body model (cinematic model: focuses on the head and used depth of field to introduce low poly/low surrounding texture environments enabling all the gpu horsepower to be put into the face).

From Twitter:

Cevat Yerli ‏@RealtimeCevat 4h
#Ryse Hero Marius 85k polys? It was choice: 150k polys w LODs vs 85K + better shading + no LODs (stable). The latter wo at better quality!

so, he confirms that th emain character model has had a downgrade in terms of polys.

Reminds me of Stranglehold last gen. THey had to bring down a lot of stuff once they got their hands on real ps360 hardware.

From Twitter:

so, he confirms that th emain character model has had a downgrade in terms of polys.

Reminds me of Stranglehold last gen. THey had to bring down a lot of stuff once they got their hands on real ps360 hardware.

We have to rewrite the meaning of downgrade. :LOL:

This is a lesson in less is more AFAICT

Saw this posted on gaf a comparison before downgrade and after?
Seems to have some nice lighting and skin improvements.

Before:
ryse_son_of_rome_3.jpg

After?
9mV8V6c.jpg

They look like totally different models from the skin to the armor and the bridge.The skin on the second picture is a hell of lot better. The armor also fits better on each character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back