XBox One, PS4, DRM, and You

Status
Not open for further replies.
You want a guarantee that lasts until infinity. Now why would any company want to commit to that?

I didn't say infinity, and I didn't as for a guarantee. I'm asking for what the current generation of systems is still selling me, and what every generation prior has.

You're spinning again, and trying to make this sound like an outrageous position. Wii U also provides what I'm asking for btw, and PS4 will provide at least some of what I'm asking for.

I'm interested in finding out if Microsoft has walled off the authentication function from its other initiatives. It was stated in that interview that MP bans won't shut off single player, but I'm curious where Microsoft would draw the line.

For a game with compulsory online elements or that uses a persistent online world for "lone-player" elements, how do you even ban people without effectively killing single player? And how does a silver member go about playing these games - if the "online elements" and persistent world are inseparable and the game can't be played disconnected?

DVD ....blue ray .....my god I collect old game so I've spent a lot of time at car boots ...free markets ......and you know what DVD ....blue ray there going to end up like video tapes in the skip in 10 years time
Its called change it happens things come and go that's just the way it is .......the next generation of gamers those being born now will look at a game disk and go how quaint did you use them grandad .
:) :) :) :)

But those were all changes for the better. DVDs had clear benefits over VHS tapes and Blu-Rays are clearly better than DVDs if you are serious about your movies. Those were all worthwhile upgrades unless you are a fan of low resolutions and waiting 5 minutes to rewind a movie which degrades in quality every time you re-watch it. You also own them. Digital releases, at least the ones MS is trying to peddle, only have added shackles.
Sure, eventually all that good stuff is gonna get phased out, but I don't think we've reached that point quite yet.

For a game with compulsory online elements or that uses a persistent online world for "lone-player" elements, how do you even ban people without effectively killing single player? And how does a silver member go about playing these games - if the "online elements" and persistent world are inseparable and the game can't be played disconnected?
There are some parties involved that don't see that as being a problem.

We can look to what online services like Origin and Steam (I think) for an example of where the ability to invalidate a player's whole library can be used spell out how billing disputes and chargebacks are resolved with the consumer.

Ease of use no more disks clutering up my gaming area ....no disks getting scratched .....cheaper games as you cut out extra costs like game shops taking there percentage ......shipping costs .....packaging costs.

Its not hard to believe games will get cheaper if they go to a online distrabution model .....just name one time going to a online business model has not rejiuced costs and in turn price of the product .
:)

Ease of use no more disks clutering up my gaming area ....no disks getting scratched .....cheaper games as you cut out extra costs like game shops taking there percentage ......shipping costs .....packaging costs.
I've never managed to scratch a CD, DVD (movie or game) or Blu-ray (movie or game) where it had issues being read. I use shelves to prevent clutter. Digital purchases are already an option but cheaper games due to cutting out extra costs, aren't happening for me. In most cases, I can still buy a game on disc at retail or online, cheaper than I can from a digital store.

Which digital game service is cheaper than retail exactly? Steam sure as hell isn't. As a matter of fact Amazon undercuts it just about every single time a new game is being released. Sure, there are great deals, but it's not like those don't happen with retail games.
As for scratched games. I still have my Ridge Racer disc dating back all the way to the Playstation launch. Hasn't seen the insides of a protective case in decades and is scratched as hell. Still works like a charm.

Which digital game service is cheaper than retail exactly? Steam sure as hell isn't. As a matter of fact Amazon undercuts it just about every single time a new game is being released. Sure, there are great deals, but it's not like those don't happen with retail games.
As for scratched games. I still have my Ridge Racer disc dating back all the way to the Playstation launch. Hasn't seen the insides of a protective case in decades and is scratched as hell. Still works like a charm.

I collect Retro games and rare games now there has been many a time that my heart has missed a beat other finding a rare game at a car boot ......then my hopes are often dashed as I look at the disk and it looks like its been kicked across the floor half a dozen times .

Last game I saw in this state was a copy of Panzer dragoon sage two off the the four disks looked like a scratch pad had been taken to them .

I buy all my games off of amazon why because its a online business hence cheaper proving my point....about a online business ...reduced costs hence prices for me the customer .:)

Its not hard to believe games will get cheaper if they go to a online distrabution model .....just name one time going to a online business model has not rejiuced costs and in turn price of the product .
:)

Microsoft had stated that their game pricing will not change and stay at $59.99. I don't see any cheaper pricing due to the DRM scheme.

An end to physical goods means an end to manufacturing and transportation, with positives for reducing human impact on the world. think of all the video and cassette tapes filling up landfill. Media's impact in that respect is completely eliminated (landfill or recycling costs) by a switch to something like an on-demand service. You also would have access to a far larger library than most folk could afford to buy for themselves or could fit in their house. 10,000 disc-based games would be a lot of space and a lot of capital, but a move to an on-demand future means everyone could have this.

It's a false choice to say that we can either have an all-digital future or 10,000 physical discs for personal collections.
It is possible to have digital data in which the consumer is able to manage personal access and maintenance without an external constraint.

The Xbox One could have really furthered the tech if it tried that for DD products.

Microsoft had stated that their game pricing will not change and stay at $59.99. I don't see any cheaper pricing due to the DRM scheme.

Correct, I'm just curious how much of that is due to retail demanding price parity..... to put it another way this isn't all due to corporate greed as some will likely conclude.

Price is a reflection of the desires and needs of the consumers, platform provider, publishers and retailers. Not simply the DRM scheme.

Steam's lower pricing is a result of Valve serving as the retailer and the platform provider where distribution is exclusively DD. Its doesn't really serve as a good model to predict what will happen on consoles with DD as B&M retailers have different demands and DD serves as their direct competition. Furthermore, its not like the realities of the console market have no direct bearing on the PC market. Development cost of titles are shared. You can afford to sell $40 titles on Steam when you sell $60 titles on the Xbox and the Playstation.

Digital distribution on consoles doesn't naturally mean we will have Steam like pricing and sales. It provides the possibility, but its a question of how much push back MS and Sony will get from retailers who hold the keys to hardware based sales.

I look at it like this if i where running a game publishing or game development company .

I would want a end to second hand game market as it stands right now ......i'd also want out of physical copies of my games .

Why.....well...

I'd want the option to decide when my game goes on sale and for how much .....

i'd like to control the destiny of my company by maximizing as much profit out of every game I produce that includes setting my own pricing policy from new all the way down to bargain bucket price .

I'd allow second hand games by running my own second hand store where i'd give credit off of new code because with no physical copy of a game that's all it is code .

I'd resale old code traded in at the same price I gave back in credit for it .......and because of no bricks and mortar stores .......or packaging ....or storage ....or shipping costs. i'd sell my games at a cheaper price than today .

I'E ... what ever cut of sale price today these things add up to .

Now that to me is just business one O one ....now i'd still have to compete on price with other developers and publishers so i'd still have to show value to my possible customers which would mean competitive pricing .....special weekend discounts ...holiday discounts ...

Now who on here would not do this if they where a publisher or developer .
Remember we live in world ruled by making money there's nothing wrong with making money capitalism works people it drives down prices as people reduce cost improve there product as they compete against others in there field :) :) :) :)

the next generation of gamers those being born now will look at a game disk and go how quaint did you use them grandad .
Grandad will show them and then say "Now show me how you used your digital games" and they will reply "We cant microsoft no longer runs the authentication servers"

The stories I read said first-party titles were going to stay at $59.99, but publishers were free to set their own prices.

... to put it another way this isn't all due to corporate greed as some will likely conclude.

Right, but the $500 msrp of xbone certainly is.

DRM for an all digital library should be accompanied by steam-like sales. I saw an Angry Joe interview with Major Nelson the other day (guy came off as a douche) when asked about steam-like sales, he pointed to the "wonderful" sales they already do on xbl. If that is the bar they are setting for themselves as a reason to be excited for DD games, count me less than thrilled.

I look at it like this if i where running a game publishing or game development company .

I would want a end to second hand game market as it stands right now ......i'd also want out of physical copies of my games .

In my opinion, even though they don't readily admit it, manufacturers are more interested in ending the second hand market than publishers.

Right, but the $500 msrp of xbone certainly is.

Possible? Yeah its a possibility that MS is simply being greedy.

Certainly? No, the Xb1's media functionality is bound to attract consumers to the Xb1 who don't have any interest in gaming and the Xb1's video and music functionality isn't just applicable to goods purchased through MS's video and music store. Its not a given that those users will contribute to MS's bottom line like gamers. XB1 price may be the result of other exigent circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back