XBox One, PS4, DRM, and You

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think you really understimate the importance of used games. Half of the games i own(probably more) are used, and my friends are no different. We can't pay 70$ for every game. DRM is the most stupid thing MS has done in years.

I really think you really understimate the importance of used games. Half of the games i own(probably more) are used, and my friends are no different. We can't pay 70$ for every game. DRM is the most stupid thing MS has done in years.

Which system doesn't allow used games ?

And used games will exist on both consoles. The only differences.

1. One console can resell digital while the other can't.
2. One console doesn't have any restrictions on giving away physical retail copies of games.

That's the only difference.

Regards,
SB

what don't you understand about Xbox is allowing you to still buy used games?

So is that why steam failed ? Cause you shouldn't need to have internet access to play a game you bought on a disc ?

These arguments make no sense at all.

It will be interesting to see the advantages devs give to ms because of this .

We've already seen the announcement of both COD exclusive DLC and BF4 exclusive DLC .

I wonder if MS will end up getting a lot of DLC and content by virtue of the DRM on the system

depends on if people want to buy into drm. early on there might also be shortage issues if the yield issues are true.

Polar opposite here, I only have a few used and that was only because they were out of new copies (older games). My friends buy new as well. I don't sell my games due to poor trade values.

DD will be my first choice now.

2. One console doesn't have any restrictions on giving away physical retail copies of games.

Regards,
SB

that's the big one to me... I don't disc share with friends but I will not even buy discs this gen... soo done with discs, and the ability to get Credit for my digital games? yes please.

I am happy Ms is going in this direction .... forward

that's the big one to me... I don't disc share with friends but I will not even buy discs this gen... soo done with discs, and the ability to get Credit for my digital games? yes please.

Can you? Just to a 30 day old friend in live and just once, if you bought the game from another friend then you can't resell it again. And this can be blocked by the publishers.

Yeah, I'd love it if I could "sell back" some of my games on Steam for cash or credit. I have some stinkers that I bought over the years that I've never finished and probably never will finish.

Then again, a lot of the time I only paid 25% of the retail cost during a sale. But not all.

Regards,
SB

That's still significantly more than you can do on the PS4, right?

Can you? Just to a 30 day old friend in live and just once, if you bought the game from another friend then you can't resell it again. And this can be blocked by the publishers.

no you can trade a game into gamestop also and other participating retailers

You can "gift" a game only once and only to someone on your friends list that has been there for 30 days. A game can be resold any number of times, it just has to be done through an approved retailer.

Regards,
SB

Regards,
SB
If you buy a digital copy on either platform you cannot resell it. It only disc based games.

"Trade-in and resell your disc-based games

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. "

Xbone has no advantage at all over PS4 in drm.

You can "gift" a game only once and only to someone on your friends list that has been there for 30 days. A game can be resold any number of times, it just has to be done through an approved retailer.

Regards,
SB
This is only for disc based games...

correct physical media can not be "shared" on Xbox except as you have described... as I said to many many people, that is not something they do often.

to some they do it extensively, as I said earlier I will recommend PS4 to my teenage step son as he has not enough money to buy the games they all want and he and his friends share and trade all the time.. I personally don't think the industry can continue to sustain itself with that behavior but if they would not otherwise buy them so what...

Also the 10 "family" members have digital access to library may just be the DRM friendly digital version of disc sharing but with the restriction of only one extra member besides owner can access library at a time... would serve the purpose of making it more friendly ...

I think as more info comes out we may be surprised how friendly some of these are while maintaining the digital progress and getting devs paid for their work (hopefully) more often

I don't care about DRM,I have steam,iPhone,and iPad!I do like to rent games,but I buy most of my games new!For a majority of my friends it is a big deal!

XBL Gamertag themisterphenix

Again. Microsoft has never said they will allow sale of digital downloads. They have only ever been talking about added restrictions on disc transfers relative to last gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back