Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

It's a console that I would be interested in and provided that both SKU's are on the market I don't see it as an issue.

Perhaps if they remove the bluray drive they can rework the case and cooling system and get rid of the power brick. If the xbox uses less power than the PS4, there's no reason why it couldn't have an internal power supply as well.

They could also potentially sell the hardware to TV suppliers like Virgin here in the UK (the same way that Tivo is now). Then I'd be buying an Xbox One even if I didn't necessarily want one. ;)

I see know reason why the xbox could function as a DVR. IMO, it would be a killer feature for MS. The hardware is there: ability to control a tuner, HDMI in, TV Guide, and ability to record video. All that's missing is an App that can setup the appropriate channel at the right time and record the HDMI in. I would get an xbox in a heartbeat if I could do that. I don't know how it is in Europe, but for me to get a DVR is usually an addition $10/month fee from the cable TV provider.

I see know reason why the xbox could function as a DVR. IMO, it would be a killer feature for MS. The hardware is there: ability to control a tuner, HDMI in, TV Guide, and ability to record video. All that's missing is an App that can setup the appropriate channel at the right time and record the HDMI in. I would get an xbox in a heartbeat if I could do that. I don't know how it is in Europe, but for me to get a DVR is usually an addition $10/month fee from the cable TV provider.

It'd need a cable input too, but otherwise the hardware is there already. The market then suddenly increases massively. My mum would have one... It'd be a win-win for the cable/satellite companies and Microsoft.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, but that could make Playstation obsolete very quickly. God, I've scared myself with this prospect.

Somebody please come along and tell me I'm wrong and that it can't work.

MS tried to push Windows Media Center for a long time. WMC has DVR capabilities.

But they've stopped developing it, moving away from it. Never got the kind of traction they wanted.

There were rumors that the next Xbox would have DVR capabilities but obviously MS chose not to go that way.

In the US, they'd have had to deal with the mess that is CableCard. Satellite TV in the US also has special authentication schemes that couldn't be supported on PCs either.

MS tried to push Windows Media Center for a long time. WMC has DVR capabilities.

But they've stopped developing it, moving away from it. Never got the kind of traction they wanted.

There were rumors that the next Xbox would have DVR capabilities but obviously MS chose not to go that way.

In the US, they'd have had to deal with the mess that is CableCard. Satellite TV in the US also has special authentication schemes that couldn't be supported on PCs either.

I hope you're right, but I'm fairly sure it'd be quite easy to add a card reader into the device. During MS's reveal, didn't they have a list of cable/satellite providers they're working with?

I'd have my mum asking on Skype to play me at Titanfall. It'd be really embarrassing if she was better too.

ThePissartist "Sorry mum, I want to play my PLAYSTATION! It has more flops".

Mum: "I don't care. Oh and change your gamertag, it's vile".

Jeebsters: "okay mum, but no titan only battles this time".

Well in the UK, people actually bothered enough to watch a lot of TV (cable or satellite) will get Virgin or Sky, which come with free DVR boxes.
Not much of a need for a box without Sky or Virgin. Everyone else is on Freeview or Freesat which are both free, but unless I'm missing something, there wouldn't be much of a market here given the free Sky/Virgin boxes that come with at least 1TB hard drives, last time I checked, and are fully intergrated with the services provided.

Well in the UK, people actually bothered enough to watch a lot of TV (cable or satellite) will get Virgin or Sky, which come with free DVR boxes.
Not much of a need for a box without Sky or Virgin. Everyone else is on Freeview or Freesat which are both free, but unless I'm missing something, there wouldn't be much of a market here given the free Sky/Virgin boxes that come with at least 1TB hard drives, last time I checked, and are fully intergrated with the services provided.

None of those boxes are 'free'. And besides there's plenty of spare memory floating about in the box for a few software updates.

You're right though, it won't happen..........

I think the best you can hope for is a more robust ability for the XBO to slave DVRs.

New beta is out that brings OneGuide to smartglass and provides DVR control. Allows DVR content streaming to smartglass devices. DVR content listing still missing so it doesn't seem to be the most streamlined solution.

Cable companies are moving toward wireless setup boxes. I have a DVR in my masterbed that serves all my TVs which are on wireless units. I think XBO acting as DVR becomes less relevant in a future where most subscribers have similar setups.

Right now: HDMI-in and Kinect; IMO, Kinect is a bigger deal than Bluray ever was for PS3.

In time, the OS architecture will be leveraged to run all kinds of things (branding prediction: Windows One).

Cheers

Bigger how?, we already had one Kinect, what did it change? besides my living room arrangement to make it work :)

I understand that, but I think HMDI-In enables functionality that wasn't available before. For example, when I order cable from Time Warner here in Austin, I can get the cable box for $11 or with DVR service for $24 a month. If I want to watch any kind of cable, I need that box, but the xbox could free from the additional DVR service fee.

In my personal situation, I'm contemplating dropping cable in a couple of months all together so an OTA tuner for the xbox (with DVR functionality or at least pause/rewind capability) would be a great addition. With all the focus on TV, I really wish MS had done more to enable cord cutting.

I see know reason why the xbox could function as a DVR.
Unless they thought about this before and have engineered a solution in anticipation, this may reduce gaming performance when the Xbox One is acting as a DVR. You may not want to game when recording.

Mind you, the app OS has 2.5Gb of RAM so maybe that space could be used to buffer recordings.

Last edited by a moderator:
It'd need a cable input too, but otherwise the hardware is there already. The market then suddenly increases massively. My mum would have one... It'd be a win-win for the cable/satellite companies and Microsoft.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, but that could make Playstation obsolete very quickly. God, I've scared myself with this prospect.

Somebody please come along and tell me I'm wrong and that it can't work.
PS3 had the Freeview tuner option. It didn't take off. Standalone boxes are common as mcuk and add versatility. Many TV subscribers get them as part of the package too. I've a decent HD PVR but my ISP is offering me a NowTV box as part of my communications subscription for example. TBH, it's probably quite hard not to have a PVR of some sort these days, at least in the UK. ;)

Could MS add PVT to XB1. Sure. Would it really be worth it? I doubt it, certainly not as a value-add USP. Kinda like BRD in PS4 doesn't really add significant value as everyone who wants to watch BluRays likely already has a player. It's still a nice feature, but isn't the must-have feature it once had unlike PS3's BRD drive.

And with more and more TV moving to internet streaming instead of broadcasts (eg. I can subscribe to a Sky internet service without needing to subscribe to Sky and get a Sky box nor dish), PVR becomes less and less important.

Dvr is simply not a hot item, unless you really really want the xb1 to lose more gaming focus. I can see the obvious connection but..

Most modern tvs support a USB disk you just plug in and viola Dvr. Most cable boxes comes with built-in Dvr functions or offer it as a on-demand service.

And around here everything is coded anyway, so you can't record it unless you lock the recording to the TV..

Dvr is simply not a hot item, unless you really really want the xb1 to lose more gaming focus. I can see the obvious connection but..

Most modern tvs support a USB disk you just plug in and viola Dvr. Most cable boxes comes with built-in Dvr functions or offer it as a on-demand service.

And around here everything is coded anyway, so you can't record it unless you lock the recording to the TV..

It isn't an important feature for gamers but for the platform holders its huge bc it could generate recurring monthly fees.

Uhh?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-grand-theft-auto-5-face-off

The differences between the 3rd party titels have shrunk constantly since the release of the PS3, and it's safe to say that there is plenty of examples 3rd party titles doing a good job on the messy PS3 hardware, so many that those that suck can be blamed on the developers... budget.

I dont think so necessarily. This is just the first example I grabbed as I perused DF last gen face offs, http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-call-of-duty-ghosts-face-off

PS3 renders COD Ghosts at 860X600 (!) (1024X600 for 360). PS3 tends to still lag in many multiplats, after all these years, it's not a problem that somehow went away, it's just not focused on lately as we move to current gen and focus on that.

While we're on the subject, I think MS and any console company underestimates the effect of weaker hardware in one specific aspect for example, every game gets demoed on the stronger hardware. So, every game defaults to "PS4 version" now, when shown publicly, trailers, etc. Just as most games were demoed on 360 last gen, which was a powerful help for 360. Every dev of course wants to put the best foot of their game forward, and demo the best looking version, it's common sense. Why would Ubisoft demo Watch Dogs on X1 when rumor is it's not even 1080P? Granted I believe Wtch Dogs has some kind of marketing deal with Sony, but it will be the case regardless.

It's funny MS just assumed this wasn't an issue or didn't even think about it or just brushed it off with arrogance "oh consumers dont care about graphics". Video game companies, so out of touch...

It seems as if MS wanted to protect XBL subscription revenues. Particularly putting Netflix and other apps behind the paywall.

They noticed towards the end of X360 that a lot of XBL Gold subscribers were spending more time on Netflix and other apps than gaming itself.

So Kinect with the TV features was suppose to be another draw to subscribe to XBL.

Problem is it raised the cost/price of the hardware and then people realized there's really no justification for paying for XBL Gold to access Netflix.

Was Netflix ever not behind a paywall? If you want to use the internet with an Xbox - any Xbox, you have to pay a fee. Right?

MS didn't migrate anything new behind a paywall this generation - Sony did. The price of the live membership isn't the stumbling block this generation just as it wasn't last generation. The price of entry though, the extra $100 for added features that might be cool to have but nobody is interested in paying for specifically is the problem.

Just as the extra memory card slots and hdmi ports and usb ports weren't worth the extra cost to many with the PS3. Fortunately for Sony, none of those things effected the console's core functionality and it had enough remaining core features to differentiate it from the competition that it could just get rid of those additional features and their additional costs and very few cared.

MS doesn't have that luxury. Removing the features that result in the additional cost would remove core functionality and leave a console that can differentiate itself from the competition only by being the less capable.

Granted I believe Watch Dogs has some kind of marketing deal with Sony, but it will be the case regardless.

It's funny MS just assumed this wasn't an issue or didn't even think about it or just brushed it off with arrogance "oh consumers dont care about graphics". Video game companies, so out of touch...

On this topic (MS being a little out of touch/sync), they've let things get a little bleak in terms of blockbuster releases this year at least. Sony seem to have pocketed Watch Dogs, Batman, Destiny, and of course CoD as being, now, perceived as being primarily Sony platform games. They seem to have just lost direction so far this gen.

Back