Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Some would say the same thing about console gaming in general and spending $300-$500 on a platform when your smartphone offer games.

Whether you can argue the finer points of someone making such a claim is irrelevant. The only person that has to justify such purchase is the person that bought the tech for themselves. If that person is satisfied then how can it be silly.

I think I acknowledged that in the rest of my posts.

Sure, an external camera could create a demarcation zone around a player and give visual cues when they've entered into that zone. But then the game would be dictated by basically a safety protocol. You wouldn't want the game to get too hectic where the visual cues may be missed because of focused demanded on the player.

If people sued because of inadvertent slinging of the Wii controller, you know they will sue the moment they stub their toe using a VR system. I think most home VR systems would discourage such use where a player is basically blind to their environment but the games actually requires them to navigate within that space.

I suspect you're right. It's too bad, because the potential for even greater immersion is lost.

Buying a new console to play video games is not embracing new tech. Consoles and video games have been around for a long time now.

Kinect is only three years old and it's only in its second iteration. It's pretty new tech. Voice control isn't new in itself.

Like I said, the main point I had in posting the article was this conclusion at the end.
http://recode.net/2014/01/01/can-do-vs-cant-do-culture/

Kinect and PS Eye are long term. You have five to seven years for improvements in software (either to existing or new features) before the next hardware iteration comes out. Looking only at what they can do right now is shortsighted. Making any kind of a prediction of success or failure as a business strategy based on what they are right now is pure guesswork.

But it's not new, it's pretty freaking old, it's been around on consoles for the past 10 years, even the idea of gesture control was a part of the original vision for Eyetoy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EyeToy

Kinect as hardware and software is new, but the basic idea is not and the advance in technology and games have not brought us earth shattering new games.

Where you have a point is XB1 is the first(?) device designed and conceived around the idea that using gesture and voice control is the primary way to use it. But imho the technology doesn't scare people away from it. The performance and implementation on the other hand is where i see the challenge.

And if i look outside these forums it seems others have more issues than our small sample, i look forward to getting my own so i can finally sample it for real.

Dude you are speaking to a guy that played a good portion of mgs 4 at sd because the ps3 didn't come with hd cables and was too amped to wait until I could make it to the store.

The 360 nor the ps3 gives u Wii visuals at SD resolution. Yes u would of been required to invest in a memory card and a game too. Still doesn't change the fact that the Wii offered little in terms of cpu/gpu performance for the price they asked for the Wii.

If last gen would of simply been the 360 core sku versus a Wii, which console would you have chosen as your primary gaming device? A $80 dollars difference would have no where near enough to make me choose a wii over a 360 if with all the bells and whistles of the Pro removed.

I would have chosen the Core pretty much regardless of the pricing difference between it and the Wii. Wii wasn't really wanted here. Like you I would have played some games if I didn't have an access to a HD-cable, but I think HD-picture and space to save your games were core features of these consoles. Perhaps one can be without them for a while, but I'm pretty sure I remember right that the Premium version by far outsold the Core. You don't typically see a more expensive SKU within the same range outselling a significantly cheaper one unless there is a clear gap in value proposition, which there was for many at least. Those two accessories brought the price to $380 and you still had quite a bit less than the $399 version. Perhaps me calling the Core shitty was a bit extreme as you could still upgrade it and in the end the premium wasn't that high, one could also hold off with the HDD purchase and get a bigger one later on. I do think that when the Arcade came and they included some memory to it and a HDMI-port that the lower SKU gained a lot of traction.

The whole thing started with the pricing comparison, but I never said that pricing is the only thing that matters or that Wii sold so much because it was priced lower. They could have priced it higher and still see great sales. It was a great product at a right time. Large part of it was appealing to different demographic than consoles traditionally do. I think it kind of went for a niche, but the niche turned out to be massive instead. Repeating something like that will be difficult for anyone.

No worries Alphawolf, it's been a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude you are speaking to a guy that played a good portion of mgs 4 at sd because the ps3 didn't come with hd cables and was too amped to wait until I could make it to the store.

Just fyi, that was a common occurrence at the time and ultimately what led to all sorts of usability issues/reports coming in about our games with fonts not readable enough, etc. The last thing we had expected was that people would have bought a $600 ps3 and connected it via sd but apparently the practice was relatively common at the time simply because people used the cable that came in the box. To add to the mind bogglingness of it all, on the support calls apparently these same users often thought they were playing in hd because the ps3 is an hd console. Fun times.

Just fyi, that was a common occurrence at the time and ultimately what led to all sorts of usability issues/reports coming in about our games with fonts not readable enough, etc. The last thing we had expected was that people would have bought a $600 ps3 and connected it via sd but apparently the practice was relatively common at the time simply because people used the cable that came in the box. To add to the mind bogglingness of it all, on the support calls apparently these same users often thought they were playing in hd because the ps3 is an hd console. Fun times.

My first 15 minutes after oogling my brand new PS3 and going to hook it up.

"Composite?"
"Huh"
"No way!!!"
"Let me check the box"
"Must be in here somewhere"
"Did I drop it under the entertainment center?"
"No"
"Can't be!!!"
"WTF!!!"
"Why would Sony do that?"
"No way!"
"Let me check the box again"
"Must be in here somewhere"
"Did I drop it under the entertainment center? No, did I dropped it behind it?"
"No"
"Shit!!!"
"Can't be!!!"
"Why would Sony do that?"
"Maybe its under the box!"
"No"
"Shit"
"Manual, Manual, Manual?"
"Is HDMI or Component listed in what comes in the box section?"
"No"
"Shit"
"Is HD possible over composite?"
"Are these special composite made for HD"
"Yeah I wish!!!"
"WTF!!!"
"WTF!!!"
"WTF!!!"
"Sigh"
"Should I go to Best Buy and buy some overpriced HDMI?"
"Hell No!!! MGS 4 in SD here I come!!!"

Kinect as hardware and software is new, but the basic idea is not and the advance in technology and games have not brought us earth shattering new games.

Thats because Kinect is less analogous to a game controller and more analogous to a keyboard and mouse.

Its less about some new revolutionary way we interact with games and more about the way we interact with our consoles in general.

Games are about mental stimulation not physical. So how can a game controller with a new way to physically interact with games going to revolutionize gaming consoles. It can't. So MS found a way to extend the usefulness of Kinect that went beyond a niche segment of software.

That being said the leaked docs from a couple of years ago shows an image of Kinect v1 with VR glasses labelled sensors when breaking out whats planned for each year between 2011 and 2015.

I'd be more interested to know how much the X360 sold until most part of first adopters got one and demand dropped. Sure it's definately impressive, but i doubt it will continue to sell at this rate (PS4 also). The question is; how much longer can it keep it up?

Now for the love of god get some good, innovative Kinect games out there. Not some broshot headbob gimmick or some arse licking fighting game.

When demand for 1Bone falls all MS need to do is price match with the PS4 and then let customers chose between somewhat better graphics (if they actually care or can even tell) and Kinect.

The negativity around Kinect is mostly coming from people that have never used it (see the B3D poll). I think that Kinect will have a surprising amount of pull with the family oriented entertainment crowd. Move entertainment apps outside the Gold paywall, drop the price modestly, and I think 1Bone will make quite an attractive device for families with a little cash to spend on entertainment.

Now for the love of god get some good, innovative Kinect games out there. Not some broshot headbob gimmick or some arse licking fighting game.

When demand for 1Bone falls all MS need to do is price match with the PS4 and then let customers chose between somewhat better graphics (if they actually care or can even tell) and Kinect.

The negativity around Kinect is mostly coming from people that have never used it (see the B3D poll). I think that Kinect will have a surprising amount of pull with the family oriented entertainment crowd. Move entertainment apps outside the Gold paywall, drop the price modestly, and I think 1Bone will make quite an attractive device for families with a little cash to spend on entertainment.
Yep, there definitely need to be some good games for Kinect released. The potential is there, but developers have to stop thinking about traditional games with traditional mechanics and then trying to shoehorn Kinect in.

As to the price, supply and demand. One of the things I've always thought odd about consoles is that they launch at a way too low price. If there are widespread shortages, your price is too low. If they start letting the price float with demand, they will actually increase overall profit while making sure customers are happier.

As to the price, supply and demand. One of the things I've always thought odd about consoles is that they launch at a way too low price. If there are widespread shortages, your price is too low. If they start letting the price float with demand, they will actually increase overall profit while making sure customers are happier.

There may be a lot of confounding factors for floating prices, which would depend on a lot of factors not in the console maker's control.

There is market competition, which takes away some of the pricing control in the absence of some kind of at least informal collusion.
The lead times and inventory accumulation for the volumes necessary can pose a problem for the distribution and retail chain if pricing isn't handled in a more stable manner.

Consoles also haven't escaped the historical legacy of the razor blade model, so the market's expectations put a damper on how much it is willing to accept, and pricing uncertainty can lead to overly conservative buyers.
Getting the price/demand estimation wrong would lead to optimizing hardware revenues at the expense of the software and services the hardware is supposed to be a lead-in to.

At least early on, there are less tangible things like network effects and critical mass for the installed base that can lead to trying to get more consoles out there than the optimal initial sale price would indicate.

It would be significantly easier to do this if a console platform launched in isolation.

Yep, there definitely need to be some good games for Kinect released. The potential is there, but developers have to stop thinking about traditional games with traditional mechanics and then trying to shoehorn Kinect in.
Your post gives me hope.

You see, the company that created the device is the one to decide whether to use it properly or not and how to if so.

function, great post, btw.

When MS designed the features for Kinect 2, certainly they must have envisioned some new game mechanic ideas?

Why for instance have it detect your pulse if there wasn't some specific gameplay idea to wrap around such a capability?

So we can expect first-party and other exclusives to utilize these features?

Back