Technical Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just common sense calculation from the Southern Islands TDPs you can check at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_HD_7000_Series

The Jaguar TDPs were discussed here and anandtech I think. ESRAM+Misc is more an educated guesswork as there are no easily available numbers. I would put that at 10W.

I was hoping for something more official than your guesswork. Thanks anyhow though. Maybe I'll watch the hardware panel one more time tomorrow to see if it is noted. They seemed to be rather proud of that aspect of their design.

Knack should be pretty far along compared to other PS4 games because Cerny's bosses want him to use a game to guide hardware design and implementation. Cerny wanted to focus only on the hardware initially.

What other specs have been updated? Name them please. Go on...make a list if ya don't mind.
I have no idea, but then MS hasn't exactly been forthcoming. None of the specs they have revealed are different from the leaked specs though.

And this is all assuming that vgleaks post is not BS (which it certainly seems like, note they also claim used games won't be blocked)

astrograd said:
And not that it's at all on-topic, but I never claimed there's be a raytracing chip on X1. I noted that real time path tracing exists on current GPU's today (see: Brigade by OTOY). Don't go quote mining only to invent arguments to present on my behalf please.

Well that's what people were coming on here and claiming, I don't have time to go through your TeamXbox posts (they seemed to have banned you for some reason?)
But what about TBDR and dual APUs, you didn't believe that either?

astrograd said:
The 278.4GB/s bandwidth figure for 360 came from Major Nelson. Not Nick Baker. Drop that line of reasoning.

http://majornelson.com/2005/05/20/xbox-360-vs-ps3-part-1-of-4/[/QUOTE]

Perhaps read your own links better:
Our world class technology team looked at the numbers and claims and decided to do what everyone else does: compare them to the PS3. The difference it that these guys are uniquely qualified to do so, and can cut through the smoke and mirrors to see what the real deal is. To that end, I present this summary, which I have broken up into four parts to make it more RSS Reader friendly.
So the engineers were doing the writing, not Major Nelson.

astrograd said:
And there's no reason you shouldn't be able to plug a 360 Mini into a X1's HDMI input for "BC", just as the rumor says.

Well you have to somehow get data from the Durango drive to the mini 360 (making sure the connection matches it in performance) so need at least two cables connecting them.

And why are they so unconcerned about BC 'If you have back compat you're really backwards' etc when they have this Xbox Mini solution waiting in the wings?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Specification updates" could mean clock increases. That's all I'm saying. It seemed like you were implying it could not and I dont get why you would think that was a fruitful angle LOL. I'm speaking of the literal interpretation of the words.

And the realtime ray tracing unit is still a secret and has not yet been announced by us, I mean them, them, them of course. Shhh :LOL:

It certainly could, but it could also mean changes to say SHAPE or fiddling with ancillary stuff like TrustZone chip, the Bluray drive, the WiFi chips/antennas etc.

Until we have a complete idea of the specs from MS, we can't claim that 'specification updates' (which btw, is one aside in a completely unrelated article) is likely to mean 'clock increases'.

It certainly could, but it could also mean changes to say SHAPE or fiddling with ancillary stuff like TrustZone chip, the Bluray drive, the WiFi chips/antennas etc.

Until we have a complete idea of the specs from MS, we can't claim that 'specification updates' (which btw, is one aside in a completely unrelated article) is likely to mean 'clock increases'.

"Specification updates" could mean downgrading the clocks ;)

Yup. 5-10% chance only imo...

i wonder if we can find out at e3.

Im not saying its true, but this would be inline with the rumours of heat problems.

Oh good grief. Durango Clock increases? impossible! Clock decreases? Now of course that speculation has great merit :rolleyes:

If don't find out at E3 (and i don't think we will) I have a strange feeling the information will never be publicly released.

In which case we're gonna need leaks...

Why has all leaks gone so dark?

Bkilian dont work at MS for months so he cant hint anything recent, Lherre, well not sure it's true but I heard rumor he wasn't even a real dev, whatever the case he doesn't talk now...we have nothing :(

Vgleaks is petering out, supposedly DAE was their source and he is shut down now too with legal troubles.

Save I guess articles by Edge, CVG and the like should they ever appear. I think good Xbox spec news tends to get suppressed by the media anyway, if there was a clock increase it's going to be a lot harder to find out.

Things leak at E3 though maybe anyway just because you know, a lot of gaming people talking in one place. Then I said the same thing about GDC and absolutely nothing came out of that.

In the absence of news the 1.6/800 clocks have to be assumed the status quo.

Im not saying its true, but this would be inline with the rumours of heat problems.

Considering how similar the two console systems are, if one have problems running at target frequency, you'd expect the other to have too.

XB1 is estimated to be around 100-120W with a HSF the size of a Volkswagen, where does that leave PS4 ?

Cheers

Oh good grief. Durango Clock increases? impossible! Clock decreases? Now of course that speculation has great merit :rolleyes:

[...]

They did say that XBOX One will be capable of "four times the number of calculations per second as the Xbox 360" during the reveal event. That's referring to theoretical peak flops (they talked about actual performance improvements in games in the following sentence).

Given that Xenos clocked in at ~240Gflops and Xenon reached ~80GFlops theoretical peak, we're looking at a system in the realm of ~1,3TFlops in total. So the ~1,2TFlops GPU + ~100GFlops CPU numbers seem pretty much spot on.

If their statement was solely referring to the GPU, though (and there's a real possibility this is the case - as in the above-mentioned scenario the marketing guys could actually have come up with "five times the number of GPU calculations per second, which would have sounded even better), we'd be looking at a ~1TFlops GPU.

So going by their most recent official statements, if clocks were actually changed compared to the older leaks (on which we're still basing our speculation), it's - as a matter of fact - more likely that clocks went down. Any notable clock increase would have been mirrored in that rough peak calculations per second statement I started from (assuming Microsoft's PR guys aren't completely incapable of doing their job).

Bkilian dont work at MS for months so he cant hint anything recent, Lherre, well not sure it's true but I heard rumor he wasn't even a real dev, whatever the case he doesn't talk now...we have nothing :(

Vgleaks is petering out, supposedly DAE was their source and he is shut down now too with legal troubles.

Save I guess articles by Edge, CVG and the like should they ever appear. I think good Xbox spec news tends to get suppressed by the media anyway, if there was a clock increase it's going to be a lot harder to find out.

Things leak at E3 though maybe anyway just because you know, a lot of gaming people talking in one place. Then I said the same thing about GDC and absolutely nothing came out of that.

Theres no more leaks because everything has been leaked.

I never said it had great merit, nor even merit, if we are to entertain the possibility of a up clock should we not entertain the possibility of the other? they both have evidence going for them albeit i will admit less for the down clock, and neither have any great deal of evidence.

Because theres nothing left to leak would be another answer.

Personally I think the clocks are going to stay the same for both.

can you give me a timestamp? cant remember it.

From Eurogamer after the the Xbox one launch

In terms of the GPU hardware, hard information was difficult to come by, but one of the engineers did let slip with a significant stat - 768 operations per clock. We know that both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are based on Radeon GCN architecture and we also know that each compute unit is capable of 64 operations per clock. So, again through a process of extrapolation from the drip-feed of hard facts, the make-up of the One's GPU is confirmed - 12 compute units each capable of 64 ops/clock gives us the 768 total revealed by Microsoft and thus, by extension, the 1.2 teraflop graphics core. So that's another tick on the Durango leaked spec that has been transposed across to the final Xbox One architecture and the proof we need that PlayStation 4's 18 CU graphics core has 50 per cent more raw power than the GPU in the new Microsoft console.

I never said it had great merit, nor even merit, if we are to entertain the possibility of a up clock should we not entertain the possibility of the other? they both have evidence going for them albeit i will admit less for the down clock, and neither have any great deal of evidence.
I would be surprised if MSFT lower the specs as they are already at deficit vs the competition, they can't really afford it. Though they could have to do it depending on what they get from the fabs.
If what they get from the fabs ain't that good I would expect the same to apply for Sony.

Actually looking at Sony position now, they already managed to be perceived as the most powerful system and unlike in 2005/6 the systems are really close (from an architecture pov) which doesn't let much ground for fans to fight about it, it would make sense from my pov for Sony to actually lower its specs for the sake of both power consumption and costs.
It would not change much if they were to lower the GPU clock speed a tad and disable 8 ROPs and 1 CU and may be one CPU cores depending on how many cores MSFT reserves for the OS/background tasks. So something like 7 CPU cores, 17 CU (@700MHz ~ 1.% TFLOPS).

At the end of the day they would still be in a position to claim technical superiority, definitely some people would complain but I don't think it would change perception about the system(s).

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be surprised if MSFT lower the specs as they are already at deficit vs the competition, they can't really afford it. Though they could have to do it depending on what they get from the fabs.
If what they get from the fabs ain't that good I would expect the same to apply for Sony.

Actually looking at Sony position now, they already managed to be perceived as the most powerful system and unlike in 2005/6 the systems are really close (from an architecture pov) which doesn't let much ground for fans to fight about it, it would make sense from my pov for Sony to actually lower its specs for the sake of both power consumption and costs.
It would not change much if they were to lower the GPU clock speed a tad and disable 8 ROPs and 1 CU and may be one CPU cores depending on how many cores MSFT reserves for the OS/background tasks. So something like 7 CPU cores, 17 CU (@700MHz ~ 1.% TFLOPS).

At the end of the day they would still be in a position to claim technical superiority, definitely some people would complain but I don't think it would change perception about the system(s).

The amount of cores Sony reserving is probably more than you think, disabling one for no reason makes no sense. And MS are not downgrading the specs my quote was pointing out that upgrading a system can mean anything.

From Eurogamer after the the Xbox one launch

In terms of the GPU hardware, hard information was difficult to come by, but one of the engineers did let slip with a significant stat - 768 operations per clock. We know that both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are based on Radeon GCN architecture and we also know that each compute unit is capable of 64 operations per clock. So, again through a process of extrapolation from the drip-feed of hard facts, the make-up of the One's GPU is confirmed - 12 compute units each capable of 64 ops/clock gives us the 768 total revealed by Microsoft and thus, by extension, the 1.2 teraflop graphics core. So that's another tick on the Durango leaked spec that has been transposed across to the final Xbox One architecture and the proof we need that PlayStation 4's 18 CU graphics core has 50 per cent more raw power than the GPU in the new Microsoft console.

Not what I wanted. He said MS said 4X 360 calculations per second and then built this big it only has 1 TF GPU house on top of that.

I kinda doubt they even ever said that (they prefer to say 8x or 10x power of 360 if anything, sounds much better, why would you say 4x?), but not gonna watch the whole event and tech panel looking for it.

i mean i watched the event live and dont recall that, but not saying it couldn't have happened.

Edit: Ok I found it, pretty flimsy. It's actually a EA sports guy who says they've built new technology in the game that allows players in the game to make decisions with 4 times the calculations per second.

So yeah, nothing about One's power at all really, just EA's AI algorithm (probably CPU based anyway).

It's somewhere around the 29:25 mark here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bFVptu6QbY&t=29m25s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back