NGGP: NextGen Garbage Pile (aka: No one reads the topics or stays on topic) *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the link, what I contend is we don't know what the DME does, eurogamer says in the Orbis leak....

You call it fairy dust but you're ignoring that the DME could have simple graphic related functions similar to how the daughter die on the X360 handles frame buffer operations like MSAA and transparencies, who is to say that more roles couldn't be imposed on the DME related to deferred rendering?

Read this http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1697311&postcount=422

Often game studios produce high resolution assets, and then the pipeline handle's the export to different target platforms. What this means, especially for key NPC's/characters, there is a really high resolution model, then they export out the lower poly models for various LOD's and textures that have backed in bump/normals at various different resolutions.

If memory really ends up being a big problem for PS4, it would be easy enough to user a lower quality LOD as the base, or export out a special version for that target platform. So no, I don't think developers will target the lowest common denominator like you suggest. Game development has changed a lot since the start of the current generation. Developers have much more scaleable engines and pipelines.
Yes, but the final resolution you export to has less to do with how much RAM is available, and more to do with how much of that RAM you can send to the GPU each frame, I'd think. Personally, I don't think either console will be able to max out their per-frame asset allocation, so I don't expect to see a lot of differentiation there.

Since March 2012 (even further back from the alpha dev kit), people have been circulating PS4 rumors:
http://semiaccurate.com/2012/03/02/...l-be-an-x86-cpu-with-an-amd-gpu/#.UP6-xiiEklJ

I suppose that Compute Unit Eurogamer spoke about is the DSP. The SPUs were called DSPs before. So I guess any vector engine with a local store is referred to as a DSP by these people. :)

EDIT: It would explain why none of the alpha devkit leaks mention an extra Compute Unit. They wrote abut extra hardware for processing video, audio, etc. I am very curious what exactly Eurogamer saw. Probably just a tech doc ?

I remember and old article about Cell i think it was from anantech about Cell and some one call the SPE DSP,but was in response to some apparently from MS who call SPE nothing more that useless DSP.

I remember and old article about Cell i think it was from anantech about Cell and some one call the SPE DSP,but was in response to some apparently from MS who call SPE nothing more that useless DSP.

Yes, that would be Major Nelson. ^_^

Wouldn't it just be something like an AVX2 extension? Extra CPU compute units might be more realistic though, and they would have to be modified from what exists within their GPU, so hence why they'd call them a "dedicated compute unit" rather than "CPU CUs" or "addtional CUs".

*shrug*

Kaz Hirai seems very proud of Sony's 4K work. He highlighted Sony's proprietary scaling tech for 1080p <-> 4K scaling. Perhaps there is indeed scaling hardware in PS4 (or something assisting it).

It also depends on how up-to-date their leaked tech docs are. I believe this is the primary source of leaks. Someone on GAF sent me a summary, thinking that I am one of the dudes he met in a convention. From the info, it looks like that version of tech doc is outdated w.r.t. CPU cores. But most of it matches what others are reporting.

EDIT: A CPU vector extension may be correct too since the new rumors confirmed a switch to Jaguar cores. So all past leaks about Steamroller CPU cores would be outdated.

Well it is not that far, the subject came into the discussion again not that long ago, are SPU CPUs?

Imo no, even Abrash in one of his paper describe the Cell as 1 CPU and 8 coprocessors, I would bet he knows what he is talking about ;)

The "extra compute unit" in Orbis is apparently nothing much according to proelite on GAF. He said it's just an extra scalar unit on some of the shaders (Eurogamer was wrong in a sense) and already included in the 1.84 teraflops.

So it looks like you can eliminate Orbis special sauce basically.

Funny how all of s sudden a part which is not included on the GPU already is been accounted for it alone side it,sound like the whole argument on how the 720 will be 100% efficient comments that started to rain from Aegies as soon as the specs were posted on VGleaks and people begin to complain about the low specs.

It's hilarious how devs are going to target the PS4's lower RAM, but somehow NOT the Durango's lower flops. If anything they'll do both. Go look at Xbox vs PS2 where Xbox had a massively massively better GPU, but 90% of multiplatforms basically looked like the PS2 game.

The fact is the RAM advantage for Durango (5:3.5) is 43%. Thats essentially as large as the flops advantage that everybody is rushing to bury Durango and crown Orbis king over. That and the possibility MS could reduce OS footprint over time and make it even bigger, say 6GB would seem to be a obvious target. I find the spin hilarious, I even see armchair gaffers declaring "whatever MS sets for the OS reserves cant ever be changed" wishful thinking. To which I point out how much the PS3 OS allotment was reduced over time. I dont think MS has plans to reduce os footprint currently, but I bet their plans may change if they realize they need extra visual punch vs Orbis. And say a 6GB/2GB split still leaves way more for OS than anybody seems to think reasonable.

That's not even knowing the rest of the systems. Apparently the audio DSP's in Durango are super powerful. In order to keep up with them is PS4 either going to have to downgrade audio, or suck up precious CPU cores? There are lots of caveats we dont even know about here.

I'd guess a 50% deficit in one narrow component might lead to 20% better looking games if that was the only difference. But now account Durango's more RAM, the fact most games are multiplatform, and maybe the difference will be 5%? With Durango possibly $100 cheaper if the 299 PPT is to be believed, and with Kinect packed in drawing casuals? And the fact Xbox is now the defacto brand in at least the USA and UK?

Yeah like all developer would stop using the PS2 as lead platform in favor of a complete unknown platform from a new comer,by the time the xbox hit the market the PS2 was 20 months old almost 2 years,and had like a 15 million ahead on MS if not more,you were asking to much from developer,in fact the xbox library wasn't even close to the PS2 one there where more than 1 thousandth games on PS2 that never make it to the xbox.

Durango has more Ram both Ram doesn't equate to power,there are many cards out there with allot more ram than other while been weaker and delivering lower frames.

Also the PS4 one is say to be faster which also make up for not having as much.

You last part is apparent that your letting your personal taste in it,this generation will have nothing to do with the next, saying the xbox is the defacto brand in US says nothing,so was Nintendo and Sony was even more the defacto brand world wide now look how things play out this gen..

You are even already naming prices,when the current xbox is old tech and is been sold still today for $300.

Cool ! I wonder if Eurogamer will clarify. The Compute Unit is explicitly said to be outside the GPU. We shall see.

Well it is not that far, the subject came into the discussion again not that long ago, are SPU CPUs?

Imo no, even Abrash in one of his paper describe the Cell as 1 CPU and 8 coprocessors, I would bet he knows what he is talking about ;)

It's an "in-between" !

...because the SPUs are tightly integrated into a CPU and can handle some OS and general purpose functions (e.g. running a scheduler or Java VM). But modern DSPs probably have evolved further these days.

There is an incentive for studios to create the best looking games they can, if developers can take advantage of 1.5-3GB more RAM on Durango than they will, if Orbis has more FLOPS than Durango than they'll utitlize it. If both consoles come with custom blocks on the side then they'll be utilized depending on the value of those blocks.

There weren't as many common denominator games this generation as people believe but rather most games, particularly later in the generation, utilized the HW value necessary for their individual design needs.

If they've reserved 3 GB for the OS, you should be thinking a lot bigger than DVRs. I'm not saying the 3 GB is true, because I'm not sure any of the rumours are totally accurate, but you have smartphones and tablets with 1 - 2 GB of RAM, so what's so crazy about a media-center computer with 3 GB with a multitasking OS?

Looking at it from another perspective.

Microsoft probably is expecting PS4 to be using maximum 4GB RAM.
They know they're using DDR3 and that does mean that they can't use THAT much bandwidth per frame, but because DDR3 is cheap, they went ahead and got 8GB of it anyway.

Both of these basically is telling Microsoft that there is probably no f***ing way that devs will fill up anything past the 5GB point with anything really meaningful other than cache.

We're looking at 68 GB/s here. Lets target 30fps which gives us the largest bandwidth per frame with a reasonable framerate.
That gives us a mere 2.28GB/frame, assuming perfect efficiency.
5GB is more than TWICE that.

If I were a Microsoft engineer and faced such a situation, I would surely say ya go ahead and reserve 3GB for the OS and all the other stuff we might stuff in later.

What's the difference for the game department if they reserve 3GB or1GB?
You'd still be looking at bandwidth of 2.28GB/ frame, with total memory of 5GB vs 7GB.
Large difference? hmm.
Reserve 3GB? go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at it from another perspective.

Microsoft probably is expecting PS4 to be using maximum 4GB RAM.
They know they're using DDR3 and that does mean that they can't use THAT much bandwidth per frame, but because DDR3 is cheap, they went ahead and got 8GB of it anyway.

Both of these basically is telling Microsoft that there is probably no f***ing way that devs will fill up anything past the 5GB point with anything really meaningful other than cache.

We're looking at 68 GB/s here. Lets target 30fps which gives us the largest bandwidth per frame with a reasonable framerate.
That gives us a mere 2.28GB/frame, assuming perfect efficiency.
5GB is more than TWICE that.

If I were a Microsoft engineer and faced such a situation, I would surely say ya go ahead and reserve 3GB for the OS and all the other stuff we might stuff in later.

What's the difference for the game department if they reserve 3GB or1GB?
You'd still be looking at bandwidth of 2.28GB/ frame, with total memory of 5GB vs 7GB.
Large difference? hmm.
Reserve 3GB? go for it.

I just don't understand MS decision for this it just doesn't make sense,i was looking now on Toms hardware,most GPU of 2011,2012 are all GDDR5 the majority from 512MB GDDR5 to 4 GB..

I just don't understand MS decision for this it just doesn't make sense,i was looking now on Toms hardware,most GPU of 2011,2012 are all GDDR5 the majority from 512MB GDDR5 to 4 GB..

According to some posts here it feels to me that the xbox team is now full of MBAs instead of gamers.

According to some posts here it feels to me that the xbox team is now full of MBAs instead of gamers.

Don't kid yourself. Every tech company is loaded with those people. It's just a matter of degrees (bad pun intended). bkillian didn't seem to be happy they'd gone with more of a bottom-line mentality, but it isn't as if you have a bunch of business guys engineering the software and hardware.

There are gamers on this board and others that expected an Xbox 720 with a couple Xeons, a Power 7, and a server rack of storage.
That may not be quite as bad as some are making it to be.

360 uses 32 MB of ram for the OS today and provides a ton of functionality...........does anyone seriously believe that XB720 will jump from 32MB to 3GB?!?!?!?!

That just makes no sense to me what so ever , even the highest end stand alone DVR units use like 512 MB of RAM.
I have been the most stoic resistor to the notion of massive OS reservations. However, if all the rumours and noises are saying that, it's time to reconsider rather than indulge in denial. What exactly is a console OS? I mentioned Orbis's significant 512 MB OS footprint, and if that includes all the features of the PS3 optional functions that consumed significant MBs (things like Friend List taking 20 MBs, Voice Chat taking 20 MBs, all on top of the OS reservation), it's not such a huge chunk relative to PS3.

So what could 3 GBs be? Maybe there's 1 GB HDD cache, handled by the OS? Maybe enough for a webpage for in-game guides? There's going to be something taken up by Kinect and voice recognition. IIRC they are more data driven than processing driven.

In short though, I think it's time to remind ourselves these are consoles are the OS will be console-centric, serving needs that we don't associate with PCs and smart-devices.

I don't fully understand the argument about MB/frame needing to be close to the amount of memory (if all frame buffers fit in esram). The only textures being read at their maximum resolution (and read entirely) are those very close to the camera. Other textures are read at some mipmap level below, and ONLY the data in the frustum are being read for the frame. That can't be more than a fraction of the main memory if you consider the amount of data needing to reside in memory at any moment. 2GB/frame would be HUGE for a console with only 5GB available, or even 8GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back