Too much story in modern games? *spawn

You need to stop playing video games, then, because 99.9999999% of video game stories don't even rise to pulp fiction level. If you want a narrative to feed your brain, I might suggest books.
But I _like_ pulp fiction :). Seriously though, most of the games I've played and enjoyed this generation have been to find out what happens. Mirror's Edge, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Gears of War. For me, the draw _is_ the narrative. There are a hundred games that have you hiding behind chest high walls running low on ammo all the time, but only Gears drew me in with an engaging narrative that made me want to find out more. (And the best game ad I'd ever seen...)

Admittedly Gears did not deliver on what I actually wanted to see (I wanted flashbacks to before the invasion etc), and so I never bothered with Gears 2 and 3, but it was the story that drew me in in the first place.

You can't use that definition. Some people find entertainment in being shocked or scared, such as watching horror flicks. That's a very different form of entertainment to having fun.

They are getting pleasure from it, if affects them on an emotional level, which can vary to great extents.

Stuff like this should be common sense, but poorly defined terms screw everything up.

diablo 3 for instance has a horrible story, and for some reason your forced to play through the story over and over again, the devs should have known better. known that their story was garbage, and designed the game as to make the story less integral to the experience. now the game does have some other problems but at its heart its mechanics are solid, and its fun to play.

Diablo never really had solid mechanics.

Very stat-based, indirectly controlled with camera angle that keeps you away from the action, procedurally generated dungeon crawler. Combat so repetitive that it can't be its own reward, so they need to keep you hooked with carrots in the form of new skill for each level and stronger loot. It's grindfest to the extreme.

A dungeon crawler with solid ruleset is something like Ancient Domains of Mystery.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are getting pleasure from it, if affects them on an emotional level, which can vary to great extents.

Stuff like this should be common sense, but poorly defined terms screw everything up.
:???: Well, Dr Evil is getting pleasure from story-driven games then. By your definition, a person playing catch with a frisbee is having fun because they find pleasure in it; a person being terrified on a rollercoaster is having fun, because they find pleasure in it; a person reading a book is having fun because they find pleasure in it, as is someone knitting, as is someone following the story in a simple computer game.

IMO entertainment has lots of more accurate subtypes, just like 'happy' can be broken down into types of happiness. 'Fun' is simple, easy entertainment. Other types of entertainment can be a tough challenge with a satisfying reward, while another is emotional affection. These distinctions are important. A game going for 'fun' (MarioKart) is different to a game going for 'emotional involvement' (Heavy Rain) and the designs and requirements of both are different, with the 'fun' game not needing a story arc and preferably having more options to change the rules and conditions of the activity.

Check the dictionary, and the definition for 'fun' is different to the definition for 'entertainment' and 'pleasure', so your equation "*entertainment = fun = pleasure/enjoyment" doesn't work.

Which is the crux of the issue. Games need to recognise what they are and what they're going for, and do as good a job as possible rather than stretching themselves too thin. Fun games that try to do entertainment like stories will have a much harder job achieving both successfully than focussing on one or the other.

So your mind isn't entertained/challenged when you are playing a good action or strategy game?

Yes mostly entertained than challenged though, but after the game mechanics have reached a point of good enough, further bettering of them doesn't make as much difference to me as bettering the story and making the game world richer and complex in a meaningful way. Ninja Gaiden imo had better combat mechanics than God of War, but for me God of War was the better experience, because NG had retarded story aspects.

This is the problem with your argument. People are often caught up in a narrow meaning of entertainment'^, usually something cheap or dumb or shallow.

What matters is the response a person get's from an experience. One picture can cause two totally different responses in two different people. You feel like a person that has difficulties being satisfied if every detail doesn't match your personal subjective preferences 100% (you also seem to have difficulties realizing what is subjective and what is not)

The most complex artworks have the potential of being the most enjoyable/entertaining.

A circle is one of the simplest and most complex things at the same time.

:???: Well, Dr Evil is getting pleasure from story-driven games then.

Stories in games don't have the same significance as in novels and movies (the most important aspect of movies is scene composition). They, along with the rest of presentation (visuals, audio, music), serve to provide a motive to solve game's objectives through those aesthetic means.

And lol @ anyone mentioning Gears as something with a worthwhile story. :D

By your definition, a person playing catch with a frisbee is having fun because they find pleasure in it; a person being terrified on a rollercoaster is having fun, because they find pleasure in it; a person reading a book is having fun because they find pleasure in it

Yes, why is that surprising to you? Pleasure is important, because life in modern world is filled with boring things like jobs and servitude (although, work can be a source of enjoyment too, if you love what you do).

'Fun' is simple, easy entertainment.

No, it isn't. You are just muddling it up. As I've said in the previous post, fun (enjoyment) is not easily attained when you are involved in whatever medium or activity that interests you. Fun is certainly not cheap when you have good taste.

Other types of entertainment can be a tough challenge with a satisfying reward, while another is emotional affection

Interaction with every object in existance evokes an "emotional impact" of some kind. Purpose or "meanings" and "messages" don't depend on the objects, but on the subject which regard them. That an object has meaning at all means that there is some will dominating it, bending it toward certain interpretation. A belief in absolute anything means to give in to one particular interpretation of a thing, to essentially allow oneself to be dominated by a particular will. This philosophical doctrine is called perspectivism and has significantly influenced postmodern thought.

You make it sound like "meaning" or "emotion" is something that needs to be explicitly aimed for in order to be achieved instead of something that arises naturally out of any work people make, that they just place it in there and the consumers of his work need to "get it" by going into the bushes in search for it. And what makes games art aren't things unique to them (interactivity) but rather supplemental coats of paint taken from other mediums. And when it comes to emotions, it's almost always talk about sad emotions and with meaning only "moral meaning".

These distinctions are important. A game going for 'fun' (MarioKart) is different to a game going for 'emotional involvement' (Heavy Rain) and the designs and requirements of both are different, with the 'fun' game not needing a story arc and preferably having more options to change the rules and conditions of the activity.

Mario Kart is a good racing game with solid mechanics, which is why it can give pleasure to people playing it. Heavy Rain is a really bad game mechanically (QTE fest) with abysmally written plot and characters, bad VA and facial animation. There are games with crime drama/detective theme which have far better mechanics and stories, and they provide much greater "emotional involment". For example, Blade Runner, The Last Express, Police Quest. And if one wants a story about a loss of a loved one, Silent Hill 2 does it infinitely better, which is not surprising given that the storyline is based on Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment.

Games need to recognise what they are and what they're going for

And what they are? What is a definition of a game? Is there a universally accepted one?.Ludwig Wittgenstein in Philosophical Investigations says that one cannot see anything in common with various games, but similarities and relationships exist. According to Encarta, games are "activities or contests governed by sets of rules. People engage in games for recreation and to develop mental or physical skills". An activity where a goal is set in advance, which be achieved within a set of predefined rules. The obstacles created by the rules must present a challenge, they cannot be easily overcome. The more complex the rules are, the greater the barrier to entry and the greater the challenge. Chess has greater complexity compared to checkers because each playing piece moves differently in its ruleset, while checkers only provides one type of piece and one type of movement. Thus, the greater the complexity of the ruleset, the greater its depth (the ammount of how much there is to learn the game, to master it; it can be measured as a distance betwence the best and the worst players), which fosters greater skill. A lack of accessibilily can signify depth and a great ammount of accessibility be a source of shallowness. However, we need to differentiate between "meaningful" and "meaningless" complexity. Meaningless complexity would be all the possibilities that don't really affect the game, they don't make it more complex, they only ostensibly do so. For example, useless moves in fighting games or weapons in first person shooters. Or how 3D action games (the likes of DMC, Ninja Gaiden, God Hand, Bayonetta) provide far greater possibility space than 2D action games, however practically all of them are easier and not as good (skill-based) as the best arcade belt scroll games. That's partly due to the economics of arcade game design, which creates a unique environment for operators, developers and players.

Fun games that try to do entertainment like stories will have a much harder job achieving both successfully than focussing on one or the other.

Huh, you are muddling it up again. "Entertainment like stories", what exacty does that mean?

Yes mostly entertained than challenged though, but after the game mechanics have reached a point of good enough, further bettering of them doesn't make as much difference to me as bettering the story and making the game world richer and complex in a meaningful way. Ninja Gaiden imo had better combat mechanics than God of War, but for me God of War was the better experience, because NG had retarded story aspects.

You are far better reading mythology books which can eleborate those themes much more in-depth. Similarly, if you want to know about US foreign policy, you read Noam Chomsky's books not watch political cartoons. Or postmodernism, you read philosophy and literature, not watch The Matrix or Kojima's cutscenes. Though, you can do plenty of things in film you can't do in literature (non-fictional in particular). Cutscenes in MGS are pretty good for setting the mood and flavoring, but mechanics should have the utmost priority in design of any electronic game. Which is why I'd rather play Thief.2 or SC:Chaos Theory than any MGS game.

I would describe people who prefer GoW and in particular HS over DMC and NG as shallow, as in they prefer style over substance games or simply shallow games, the ones with bombastic presentation.but not much substance. Perhaps they will get offended by this but I don't care. Maybe they lack the physiology to play and appreciate more complex games and so they use various excuses to justify games with crappy handhoding mechanics or that they appeal to more people which is argumentum ad populum..Similarly, MW2 is shitty compared to Q3A. And so is Uncharted's third person shooting compared to RE4's/Vanquish's and its brain-dead "puzzles" compared to TR's/Zelda's/Soul Reaver's.

It doesn't have to be worthwhile by your criteria to be entertaining to people. There's a great deal on television that I consider complete garbage that still manages to entertain the masses.

No, it isn't. You are just muddling it up. As I've said in the previous post, fun (enjoyment) is not easily attained when you are involved in whatever medium or activity that interests you. Fun is certainly not cheap when you have good taste.
You're making a real meal out of this. ;) There are entertainments like watching a film or playing chess. Chess is playing a game. Watching a movie isn't. The general definition of 'fun' is frivolous or lighthearted entertainment, so 'fun' is a particular subset of entertainment. We would say a five year old mucking around in a ball pit is having fun or playing, where we wouldn't describe them as having fun or playing when they were reading a book. I doubt there are any hard and fast definitions - typically only scientific or academic circles are so precise - but for the sake of general discussion about people's experience on consoles, the distinctions are necessary. The experience of Mario Kart is different to the experience of Heavy Rain. The desgin philosphies are different, and the way the player is engaged is different; Mario Kart by involving the player's skills and reactions, and Heavy Rain by involving the player in the story played out with the characters.

Mario Kart is a good racing game with solid mechanics, which is why it can give pleasure to people playing it. Heavy Rain is a really bad game mechanically (QTE fest) with abysmally written plot and characters, bad VA and facial animation.
Ah, well, as your involvement in this discussion is clearly pure elitism, you won't be able to engage us grunts with bad taste and such low standards. Clearly we're too dumb to be able to understand our own pasttimes or tastes, so you may as well just leave us to suffer in peace.

Stories in games don't have the same significance as in novels and movies (the most important aspect of movies is scene composition). They, along with the rest of presentation (visuals, audio, music), serve to provide a motive to solve game's objectives through those aesthetic means.

This is entirely your opinion though. If a story gets you to play through an 80 hour grindfest with frankly appalling gameplay mechanics then it's arguable that the story has more significance than in a book that takes 12 hours to read, and much, much more significance than in a shitty 2 hour sfx summer blockbuster.

The time you spend playing and interacting with a game's characters and world can actually help build up a strong relationship with the characters and world within that game, and there's no direct substitute for time spent and interaction. Some things that games do are difficult (time) or impossible (interaction) to achieve with books or films.

So there is potentially some emotional value in interaction, and this value can add to (or modify, or potentially detract from) the emotional value of a story. And that's that, basically.

Maybe you don't like it. Maybe you do. Maybe you value it. Maybe you don't. There's no universally right or wrong or better or worse.

If it adds value to someone's experience of playing the game then it was worthwhile for them. If it's increases the returns on the game then it was worthwhile for the devpub (if it increases anicipation for the sequel doubly so).

Ah, well, as your involvement in this discussion is clearly pure elitism, you won't be able to engage us grunts with bad taste and such low standards. Clearly we're too dumb to be able to understand our own pasttimes or tastes, so you may as well just leave us to suffer in peace.

It took you this long to realise this? His previous discussion re Heavy Rain (a game I've never played but I can at least understand why people could like it) clearly spells this out.

Personally the only game I'm annoyed ATM is the new "Tomb Raider" The new super story driven direction kills what was absolutely awesome about TR: freedom.

It took you this long to realise this? His previous discussion re Heavy Rain (a game I've never played but I can at least understand why people could like it) clearly spells this out.

It was the moment I read his comment on Heavy Rain, along with everything else he wrote that I recognised him as "that guy" from the HR thread a while back.

Anyways, since I too have bad taste and am some lowly peon unworthy enough to conform to the almighty exalted standards and superlative tastes of green.pixel, I shall cease any more discourse in this thread, unless anyone else wants to actually engage in mature and respectful discourse on the topic at hand.

I can't figure out if Green.Pixel states his own perception as fact on purpose or by mistake.

Because, he made a very good point:
green.pixel said:
Challenge and fun are inseparable. People tackle challenges because they are stimulating, and they are enjoying themselves (aka having fun) because they are stimulated by the material. In other words, challenging yourself is empowering. Afer a certain time, they need more intricate material to keep them stimulated because the novelty of whatever they have been dedicated to will worn off, i.e they have developed their taste.

Art has to move you emotionally or intellectually (or both). As you experience books, movies, music or games you evolve your ability to appreciate the finer details. Therefore, what constitutes art is entirely subjective.

This implies that to appreciate a complex game (or any media), you need to have some experience with it already.

Making a game is a balancing act, you need to have an engrossing experience for as big an audience as possible: make it too simple at it will come across as trite or inane, make it too complex and it will be perceived as elitist or in-accessible. This relates to game play mechanics and narrative alike.

One can always look at the underlying narrative and determine if it has quality. Is it internally consistent? Plausible? Are the persons portrayed with depth? Are their responses consistent with their persona etc.

Many, many games fall short. Gears of War being a prime example. However, if the game play mechanics are good, that might not matter, same goes for movies if the visuals are good. Books are obviously different, the story is the *entire* experience.

Perfect game for me: An un-broken KOTOR game with Ninja Gaiden fighting mechanics (and polish).

Cheers

Making a game is a balancing act, you need to have an engrossing experience for as big an audience as possible: make it too simple at it will come across as trite or inane, make it too complex and it will be perceived as elitist or in-accessible. This relates to game play mechanics and narrative alike.
Except 'simple' and 'complex' are relative to the audience. I cannot abide the majority of mobile games, which strike me as gobsmackingly dull, but a lot of folk find them very entertaining. If the audience for your game doesn't want or need complexity or story or such, there's no point adding it. ;) Where current game-console interest is focussed seems to be something of a mythical audience IMO, who want some of everything. Other platforms (download, mobiles, PC indie, portables) aren't afraid to provide games focussed solely/tightly on the skills and challenge without worrying about adding a significant narrative thread. And this is different to last gen where lots of games were based on simple play, such as kart racers. I can't think of any AAA title that is about playing without following a narrative. The AAA online shooters that prove so popular still feel a need to add a narrative single player game, and it's often that which is showcased during game shows like E3. Then again, I don't know what the definition of AAA was last gen to know what constitutes.

My big question mark is why it's only the AAA, strong narrative element games that headline MS and Sony shows? Actually, that's untrue, at least with titles like LBP or Kinect Adventures. Kinect was all about play. Maybe it's not as bad as I think, and I'm just a jaded cynic? :mrgreen:

Many, many games fall short. Gears of War being a prime example. However, if the game play mechanics are good, that might not matter, same goes for movies if the visuals are good. Books are obviously different, the story is the *entire* experience.
Gears had so much potential! The world is stunning, even if only hinted at. There could have been an amazing narrative. Instead you basically find that the culture that could build so many beautiful buildings just felt like leaving chest high walls all over the place, and a bunch of muscle-bound grunts shoot everything that moves. It could have been about the fall of a great civilization, it could have been about two cultures meeting and causing global destruction because of a simple misunderstaning, it could have been about a FTL experiment gone wrong causing the locust to appear, it could have been that the locust _are_ the original inhabitants, but their lifecycle contains a million year dormant period. But no, shoot and run, that's the whole story.

Gears had so much potential! The world is stunning, even if only hinted at. There could have been an amazing narrative. Instead you basically find that the culture that could build so many beautiful buildings just felt like leaving chest high walls all over the place, and a bunch of muscle-bound grunts shoot everything that moves. It could have been about the fall of a great civilization, it could have been about two cultures meeting and causing global destruction because of a simple misunderstaning, it could have been about a FTL experiment gone wrong causing the locust to appear, it could have been that the locust _are_ the original inhabitants, but their lifecycle contains a million year dormant period. But no, shoot and run, that's the whole story.

Problem is, story would have needed to be exposed without damaging the gameplay.
But as of now the games with the greatest stories we have now are basically movies, and this cinematographic mania has ruined quite awesome brands (like the last Tomb Raider)... :cry:

As the guys from extra credits said once, the current videogames industry is far too full of movie screenwriters and storywriters.
Need to purge them all and get VG-trained storywriters, or there will never be a game with real gameplay and awesome story. :cry:

Where do people go to train as video game story-writers?

Internet forums. At least, they should - it's a good place as any to start. ;)

The regular story and script writing education provides a good foundation, but I don't know if there are any books.

Anyone care to collaborate on writing one? :D I did four years of English Lit at university, specialised in narrative techniques, and have miles of gaming behind my belt, so perhaps I am as good an author for that kind of thing as any. :LOL:

Problem is, story would have needed to be exposed without damaging the gameplay.
But as of now the games with the greatest stories we have now are basically movies, and this cinematographic mania has ruined quite awesome brands (like the last Tomb Raider)... :cry:

As the guys from extra credits said once, the current videogames industry is far too full of movie screenwriters and storywriters.
Need to purge them all and get VG-trained storywriters, or there will never be a game with real gameplay and awesome story. :cry:

Hyperbole:!:

The games with the best most engrossing stories this gen have been RPGs. So games with the greatest amount of non-linearity, branching narrative, player choice and agency.

But of course I'm speaking too much truth... I should shut my filthy mouth and allow those who want to nerd rage over the silly notion of movies spoiling games to continue to rage in irrational incandescent choler.

:rolleyes:gimme a break

Hyperbole:!:

The games with the best most engrossing stories this gen have been RPGs. So games with the greatest amount of non-linearity, branching narrative, player choice and agency.

But of course I'm speaking too much truth... I should shut my filthy mouth and allow those who want to nerd rage over the silly notion of movies spoiling games to continue to rage in irrational incandescent choler.

:rolleyes:gimme a break

In my opinion, the this-gen game with the best story is Flower. That game has zero branching, choice or dialogue.

Back