God Of War Ascension PS3

Have you played Ninja Gaiden 2 on 360? the "impact" in this game is amazing, the flow and rhythm of combat is so smooth and so brutal at the same time and the beautiful gore helps a lot too - best "combat feel" in an action game ever IMO just for the Obliteration Techniques alone...the animations of Ryu and the camera work look freakin' amazing and feel so satisfying when you play.

But this vid just proofs what I said?!? camera is broken...is it really fun to battle enemies that are not even on screen, because of the camera work?

But I am tired about this discussion in every GOW thread. If you like DMC combat more, I can understand and see your arguments. I guess, all people have different taste.
I just like and enjoy GOW combat more than DMC and NG combat...

To be honest Bayonetta and DMC3/DMC4 are on the same level as far as combat complexity goes. What people want from hack and slash game is depth, the depth in Bayonetta and DMC comes from the free form combo and chaining/linking your weapons to create different combos and cancelling previous ones to make even more combos. The depth in Ninja Gaiden comes from the extremely large move set given to each weapon and the challenge put up by every single enemy.

When I look at God of War I don't see this depth, since the move set is limited and neither are the enemies anything more than sponge who take a lot of hits before dying. Regardless of anything games like Bayonetta/DMC/NG can be played in lower difficulty and you will still appreciate the complexity in combat but in GOW playing in lower difficulty you can basically finishing the whole game square square x combo and the game won't put any challenge. Infact even when playing on Titan I only used this move along with triangle, triangle, triangle and small jabs of square to chip away some health...nothing more.

Also you don't need to apologise so much for your English, as long as people understand why does it matter? Not everyone's a native speaker :)

Forgive me but I missed the point to 'biasis' the whole GOW 3 gameplay mechanics just for this flaw; I mean, a lot of games can be finished without problems simply smashing casually the buttons but to give the chance to be 'appreciated' to a larger audience not means the game mechanics aren't studied for a deeper purpose; we can give the match to curve difficult & AI to DMC/NG (well I'm not so sure about the last one for DMC honestly; enemies not appears to me so smart at higher level of difficult; seems just more matter of energy bar decrease for major hit damage curve than gameplay design) but talking overall of gameplay mechanics where is GOW 3 that inferior? I mean, DMC/NG are full of useless weapons or magic (DMC 3 bat elettric guitar my God what disgusting taste to weapon design but even more for it's useless ...) or I have in mind the minor relevant weapons or ninpo in NG, to be honest I have more than a time the impression who can live without a lot of those, especially talking of ninpo
I repeat, too much times GOW 3 gameplay is delegitimate unfairly, just because too much people don't see what achieved, or maybe are unable to see or simply not want to see just because don't like it; but the curve setting of difficult isn't the only way to judge the combat gameplay mechanics; there are factors like weapons usage balance, very, very important, extremely delicate to fit for the whole game, something even masterpiece like DMC/NG fail to catch more than at time for the long sessions of combat. To me GOW 3 is one of the top in this trait, something extremely tough to achieve; sometime the quality is sacrified too much for the orgiastic quantity & I have great expectations for the prequel/sequel because the series seems mature more than more the time passed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great! IMO GoW3 is my personal favorite game this generation. It's not that I was too interested in the plot or story, but the gameplay, the mechanics and the sensation of reaching the next bigger badder boss made it such a rewarding and mindblowing experience. I'd say, bring it on!

And yes, IMO - a God of War without Kratos is like a new Mario without Mario.

(I am yet to complete GoW1 & 2).

To be honest Bayonetta and DMC3/DMC4 are on the same level as far as combat complexity goes. What people want from hack and slash game is depth, the depth in Bayonetta and DMC comes from the free form combo and chaining/linking your weapons to create different combos and cancelling previous ones to make even more combos. The depth in Ninja Gaiden comes from the extremely large move set given to each weapon and the challenge put up by every single enemy.

When I look at God of War I don't see this depth, since the move set is limited and neither are the enemies anything more than sponge who take a lot of hits before dying. Regardless of anything games like Bayonetta/DMC/NG can be played in lower difficulty and you will still appreciate the complexity in combat but in GOW playing in lower difficulty you can basically finishing the whole game square square x combo and the game won't put any challenge. Infact even when playing on Titan I only used this move along with triangle, triangle, triangle and small jabs of square to chip away some health...nothing more.

Also you don't need to apologise so much for your English, as long as people understand why does it matter? Not everyone's a native speaker :)

Wow, so GOW is a bad game because when you play it on easy difficulty, the game is easy?... oh wait?... :p

It's a silly premise.

GOW games have less depth in their combat than DMC, NG games and Bayonetta. I'll agree with this conclusion. However, this is neither a bad thing nor would I ever say that GOW games don't have a "reasonable" amount of depth in their combat to still make the games enjoyable and satisfying. In the end the millions more people that enjoy GOW games than the others mentioned, probably do so BECAUSE the games have more accessible combat and less convoluted fighting systems. GOW games also have a WHOLE LOT more gameplay variety with their puzzles and structure, not to mention utterly superior graphics, story (which is non-exsistent in those other games) and level design.

To me they're not really the same types of games at all. As personally I see GOW games as more hack-n-slash type action/puzzle/story-driven affairs, whereas my DMC, NG and Bayonetta games are more like actual full on fighting games where the combat is the sole focus of the game over everything else (and it shows).

Which do I prefer? Well, it depends on my mood. But most days i'd opt for a GOW game over the other, purely because I love the setting and the level of polish and production values far far outshine the other games.

Glad to see they didn't go with the Norse gods...I can swallow that Kratos beat Cerberus and Zeus, but he wouldn't stand a chance against Fenrir and Odin

WHat I loved about GOW3 in th eend was how they could make me play the whole game even though my hate for Kratos kept increasing with each encounter. He wasn't a human anymore, he was mad, insane, bloddy psychopath, but yet, they kept me hooked. ! In th ened I wanted him to rott in hell, liek every god he had killed.
The end shows that they had done that on purpose ad it worked wonderfully ! The best part is that they kept it so controlled that I did not stop playing, I kept going , kept doing things as Kratos, that I did not want to do and saw to it that the mofo died well at the end !

A job well done ! :cool:

WHat I loved about GOW3 in th eend was how they could make me play the whole game even though my hate for Kratos kept increasing with each encounter. He wasn't a human anymore, he was mad, insane, bloddy psychopath, but yet, they kept me hooked. ! In th ened I wanted him to rott in hell, liek every god he had killed.
The end shows that they had done that on purpose ad it worked wonderfully ! The best part is that they kept it so controlled that I did not stop playing, I kept going , kept doing things as Kratos, that I did not want to do and saw to it that the mofo died well at the end !

Loool, :LOL:

Well said ;)

ha ha ha, well said :D

Holy shit!! New God of War images posted in the official Playstation page on Facebook fresh from the oven just now!!

Looks amazing!
149369_10150855827191803_14104316802_11832523_1923759374_n.jpg

558744_10150855827276803_14104316802_11832524_1623189556_n.jpg

photo.php

301809_10150855826976803_14104316802_11832521_864431094_n.jpg

401655_10150855827096803_14104316802_11832522_420333000_n.jpg

And these are just from the multiplayer!!

Holy Psychotic Spartan and friends!! If they get the multi player to looks as good as GoW3 single player and then add some special sauce to the single player campaign the I'm sold!!

And I'll be god damned, how is it possible the MP in GOWA looks better than GOW3 :)? Man this giant cyclops looks like something out of a CGSociety 3d piece, the lighting, modelling and texturing are phenomenon and seriously it makes Cronos look "bad" in comparison.
20qghfm.jpg

Why can't SSM show some SP screenies already, as gorgeous as MP looks I could care less about it really.

No way... There is more fidelity going on in the background for GOW3.

But yes... Very good signs pointing to an amazing looking singleplayer.

Wonder how gow3 mp turns out?! Hope sp does not suffer...also, support of 3d in sp makes me nervous...typically, graphics in sp suffer imo due to 3d (see e.g. KZ3).

I heard composer changed this time...:(, GOW3 soundtrack is easily among the best out there!

I wonder how mp works? I heard about competitive 4 vs 4...but the clip shows 4 vs the cyclops?

Nevertheless, easily my most anticipated game on consoles!

PS: the chains of the cyclops look rather weird, clearly shows the beta status...

...also, support of 3d in sp makes me nervous...typically, graphics in sp suffer imo due to 3d (see e.g. KZ3).

Since when? KZ3 is quite a bit bit prettier looking than KZ2, Uncharted 3 is definitely a better looking game than Uncharted 2, and Resistance 3 is a much better looking game than both of its predecessors.

if anything all the first party dev said 3D help them optimize the game more for 2D mode. Getting a smooth performance in 3D means you should be even more stable performance in 2D.

Well, but imo the IQ (aliasing) in both games suffered compared to their prequels. So for me, while some upgrade happens, my overall impression of those games was not an improvements in graphics.

I know its due to change in AA method, ironically initiated because of the MLAA used in GOW3...but (without better knowing) I just think that 3d mode is guilty that they could not dedicate more time to tweak AA, but probably only a kind of personal aversion against 3d in general :D

I wonder why they change to a new climbing system? Climbing was ok in GOW, but I dont care much because it was only a relativ short part in GOW3...

I wonder why they change to a new climbing system? Climbing was ok in GOW, but I dont care much because it was only a relativ short part in GOW3...

Think Tappy said everything is more fluid and feel more cinematic, the old platforming still system feels like a game and looks like playing a game still. And there will be less prompt too or something, probably meant by the QTE or some floating button on top of enemies for finishes.

Back