God Of War Ascension PS3

I dunno I was hoping for something else than a prequel with Kratos again... I'm sure it'll play great and all, but come up with something new already!

I expected sequel, and a posible hint of new location and pantheon of gods [Rome/Norse].

But, prequel will do just fine. GOW3 was really good and i cant wait to see what awesome graphic can they produce from aged PS3.

I expected sequel, and a posible hint of new location and pantheon of gods [Rome/Norse].

But, prequel will do just fine. GOW3 was really good and i cant wait to see what awesome graphic can they produce from aged PS3.

Whilst I hear this alot, and agree in part that it does sound nice in theory, in practice i think it would ruin the series completely and would be a cataclysmic disaster.

Frankly GOW isn't GOW wihtout the ancient greek mythos. Likewise no reasonable nor remotely believable story that makes any attempt at taking itself seriously could aquately marry both greek gods and mythology to something as disparate and completey different as norse gods and mythology. It simply wouldn't be anything other than a complete and utter mess.

Also, Roman gods/mythology and greek is basically the same thing. Just with different names.

I'd rather that for a sequal they be creative and elevate a completely new pantheon of greek gods, elected by Kratos as the new ruler of the gods (after taking Zeus' place). The player character could be someone completely new that has to complete some epic quest in this new world ruled over by former mortal-olympians. There are still lots of other greek Gods and characters they can include into the fiction such that it retains the same ancient greek setting and feel.

I guess a prequel isn't particularly bad per se, but maybe just a little unimaginative.

I wouldn't even have minded a brand new IP set in Norse mythology either :D "God of Ragnarok" or something :p

I could less about MP myself, I just want the SP to be as grandeur, epic, lengthy as possible. I honestly don't know if they can one up the first 40min of GOW3 in sheer visual impact, and did I mention we need ample titan gameplay this time around?

I wouldn't even have minded a brand new IP set in Norse mythology either :D "God of Ragnarok" or something :p

I was hoping for something like that. They don't need to make a GoW game to make a game with that kind of gameplay. Some creative freedom could probably do a lot of good.

But no, it has to be GoW again. Mess up the existing storyline even further. Pretend like there is still meaning behind the whole quest for revenge thing.

I could less about MP myself, I just want the SP to be as grandeur, epic, lengthy as possible. I honestly don't know if they can one up the first 40min of GOW3 in sheer visual impact, and did I mention we need ample titan gameplay this time around?

It can be topped easily. GOW4 might be fully deferred this time.

GOW3 left a bad taste in my mouth for the series, so I donno about this one.

Nerver understood why a lot of people said this when thinking of GOW3 because I easily found it the best of the whole series in terms of gameplay combat mechanics without doubt, every weapons, degree achievement has a sense where in the prequel we can live without a lot of those . I'm just so irritating how the most of gamers (especially on GAf forum) never understood how deeper is the game gameplay, especially at Titans level of difficult, it's pretty comparable to colossuses like DMC or NG; give it a chance because who never tried it at the maximun level of difficult, missed the core of the gameplay in GOW 3. I concur just for the level design & the story, compared the three is artistically the more bland & less various without doubts.

Last edited by a moderator:
My very first playthrough was in Titan and no it's not even close to being comparable to DMC/NG/Bayonetta. It's far too simple to be compared to those three games. The only points where I had some trouble while playing GOW3 in titan were the Cerberus Fight and the Hades fight, but the difficulty in GOW comes from the enemy having insanely high health and you have quite low health in comparison, the difficulty in DMC/NG/Bayonetta comes from the enemy being more aggressive (especially Ninja Gaiden).

Regardless it's not the gameplay that bothered me, I enjoyed the gameplay to be honest.
It's the story and the characters themselves which I started to despise, Kratos (sans GOW1) in particular is quite possibly the worst playing character ever...I hated him so much in GOW3 that it was enough for me to hate on the game itself.

assurdum said:
Nerver understood why a lot of people said this when thinking of GOW3 because I easily found it the best of the whole series in terms of gameplay combat mechanics without doubt, every weapons, degree achievement has a sense where in the prequel we can live without a lot of those . I'm just so irritating how the most of gamers (especially on GAf forum) never understood how deeper is the game gameplay, especially at Titans level of difficult, it's pretty comparable to colossuses like DMC or NG; give it a chance because who never tried it at the maximun level of difficult, missed the core of the gameplay in GOW 3. I concur just for the level design & the story, compared the three is artistically the more bland & less various without doubts.

Gameplay, art, graphics, immersion, sound and acting for some characters were brilliant. Easilly the best out there. Unfortunately all these show a big contrast next to the plot and character development. The story has reached a point of saturation. It had no room for further development and Kratos did things that oppose his former character and what we would want to do if we were him. It was hard to identify with him. In order to move further into the game we made choices that were horrible. Its the kind of actions that usually develop hate for a bad guy. The Gods didnt seem as bad as him. He threatened to ruin balance and the world and succeeded at it. Its usually an evil enemy that wants to do that.

I'd be a lot more interested if it was a different character this time around. Like nightshade, I really do not like Kratos at all. He's really not a character I want to play. There's a lot they could do in their loose adaption of Greek mythology, without having to drag Kratos into it again.

I like the button mashey gameplay, but I would like to see them put a little more thought into adding new mechanics. 1, 2 and 3 all played pretty much the same. They improved the cinematic elements and QTEs, but I'd like to see some more thought put into the base gameplay.

Scott_Arm said:
I'd be a lot more interested if it was a different character this time around. Like nightshade, I really do not like Kratos at all. He's really not a character I want to play. There's a lot they could do in their loose adaption of Greek mythology, without having to drag Kratos into it again.

I like the button mashey gameplay, but I would like to see them put a little more thought into adding new mechanics. 1, 2 and 3 all played pretty much the same. They improved the cinematic elements and QTEs, but I'd like to see some more thought put into the base gameplay.

Well, sorry Scott, but...that is like "I want the next Mario game...without Mario"

With respect to gameplay, my opinion is: GOW is easily the best out there...no doubt.

I hope, it is really for PS3!! For me, GOW3 is best game this gen (graphics, gameplay, production value and entertainment...not story), so I am really happy that their is at least one high potential consol game in sight...

I wonder if they have any ideas left after the firework GOW3 is? I hope they just refine their graphics engine and don't re-engineer it to death (a la KZ3 and UC3)....

Well, it's not like they restricted themselves to Ares/Mars, the true God of War anyway, so I don't see why they shouldn't be able to write in a new God of War who actually was likeable.

The sad thing is that he used to be likeable (well, sort of) at some point. He was never a nice guy, but he was a great anti-hero and a tragic figure fueled by motives a normal person could get behind in the first game (which obviously wasn't created with the intention of spawning a franchise.)

In GOW II and especially in GOW III he was just a merciless, despicable killing machine (I'm still quite amazed how GOWIII of all games managed to get a completely uncut release here in Germany). I'm sorry, but I have a hard time sympathizing with someone who crushes a hapless woman for the sake of nothing more than keeping a fucking door open (at least give me a better reason for doing such a thing)

Back