News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is the PC version so much more expensive?
Because you're not just buying the device, you're buying the software that allows you to write code for it, and you're buying a license to distribute that code.

And because they can. It's not integral to their vision for windows, so they can charge what the market will bear. It'll go down in price over time I suspect. Just standard economics.

Why is the PC version so much more expensive?

I assume you're talking about Xbox One Kinect v2 and PC Kinect v2...

Maybe it's not. Perhaps it's the exact same cost (price), however the Xbox One version is subsidized via software sales and the PC version is not.

Here are specs MS gave (That I know):

8GB RAM, 8 core CPU.

768 shaders, though I dont really count that as it's one hidden mention.

32 MB ESRAM? I'm assuming they said that at some point, dunno.

5 billion transistors

Here's specs Sony gave:

8GB GDDR5
1.84 TF GPU
8 core x86 CPU
18 CU's
176 GB/s BW.

I think you're incorrect in both cases. ESRAM amount was not mentioned as far as I recall. And the PS4 has never announced the number of CUs, we just inferred it from the TF. They did mention AMD jaguar, and AMD GCN.

MS also said, in a throw-away comment, that there was "over 200GB/s bandwidth" in the memory subsystem. I'm sure it was at least partially intended to be picked up by the forum crowd and be used as a comparison point to the competition.

MS also said, in a throw-away comment, that there was "over 200GB/s bandwidth" in the memory subsystem. I'm sure it was at least partially intended to be picked up by the forum crowd and be used as a comparison point to the competition.

that or ... there is just that much available bandwidth on the machine :smile:

that or ... there is just that much available bandwidth on the machine :smile:

Of course, if we knew then what we *think* know now about ESRAM... (133GB/s and 192GB/s) :)

Come to think of it, i think the 768 ops/clock was also derived from that architecture panel...

Of course, if we knew then what we *think* know now about ESRAM... (133GB/s and 192GB/s) :)

Come to think of it, i think the 768 ops/clock was also derived from that architecture panel...

As much as I would LOVE for some of this unicorn hoof sauce to be true I just dont see it happening. ..no way.

These things take fecking years of planning and hundreds of millions of $$ to get to where we are now...5 months from launch, other than adding more ram or adjusting clocks I cant see how any major changes can happen this late.

On a side note I fond my self very intrigued with the cloud power possibilities. ..could really make a huge difference down the road.

I think you're incorrect in both cases. ESRAM amount was not mentioned as far as I recall. And the PS4 has never announced the number of CUs, we just inferred it from the TF. They did mention AMD jaguar, and AMD GCN.

Mark Cerny said " a unified array of 18 compute units" when they announce ps4. Only thing not announce was cpu clock.

And the PS4 has never announced the number of CUs, we just inferred it from the TF. They did mention AMD jaguar, and AMD GCN.

They did actually reference the number of CU's directly in some of the documentation from the initial launch. It was even front an center in the press release:

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130221a_e.pdf

The Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) has been enhanced in a number of ways, principally to allow for easier use of the GPU for general purpose computing (GPGPU) such as physics simulation. The GPU contains a unified array of 18 compute units, which collectively generate 1.84 Teraflops of processing power that can freely be applied to graphics, simulation tasks, or some mixture of the two.

Wow, major changes to announce? Certainly they aren't going to just go up there and just talk about/show games right?

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/4/4493906/report-microsoft-planning-gamescom-press-conference

It would be hilarious if Sony's attempt to out maneuver Microsoft on the memory and price end up being countered with the real Xbox One specifications.

I'll duck before the rotten tomatoes come my way but 5 billion is a lot more than 3 billion. The entire 7790 transistor count is 2 billion.

Mainly just kidding, so don't go full fanboy on me. But *maybe* they are up to something.

6T and ESRAM replies in ...3... ...2... ...1...

Wow, major changes to announce? Certainly they aren't going to just go up there and just talk about/show games right?
Gamescom is the largest consumer gaming convention in the world. With new hardware to promote for its release at the end of the year, it makes sense to put on a show. In fact it'd be stupid not to (same with TGC)! This isn't indicative of changes at all (changes could happen, but having a press conference isn't evidence of them).

Gamescom is the largest consumer gaming convention in the world. With new hardware to promote for its release at the end of the year, it makes sense to put on a show. In fact it'd be stupid not to (same with TGC)! This isn't indicative of changes at all (changes could happen, but having a press conference isn't evidence of them).

They announced they'd be at Gamescom in May. This has been planned for a long time. This wasn't a last minute show to announce major changes.

I do hope they are able to show the OS and how all of those features work, since E3 was barren of any kind of look at the actual system.

It would be hilarious if Sony's attempt to out maneuver Microsoft on the memory and price end up being countered with the real Xbox One specifications.

I'll duck before the rotten tomatoes come my way but 5 billion is a lot more than 3 billion. The entire 7790 transistor count is 2 billion.

Mainly just kidding, so don't go full fanboy on me. But *maybe* they are up to something.

6T and ESRAM replies in ...3... ...2... ...1...

What if the specs are the specs? Then what?

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/4/4493906/report-microsoft-planning-gamescom-press-conference

There won't be major changes. They can't change the hardware, because they would have to redesign the APU. I doubt there will be any increase in clocks, because the effect would be too small (100MHz increase = 150 GFLOPS, not worth it), and they can't remove Kinect, or otherwise the would only have a weaker version of the PS4 for the same/a higher price.

They just want to use this opportunity to present their new console and games to the European public.

What he said.

Come on people, the desperation some of you are displaying is not displaying you in a good light.

"MajorNelson inhales" - Xbox One has an upclock

"MajorNelson exhales" - Xbox One has more memory.

"Mattrix leaves" - Xbox one has more CUs.

What if the specs are the specs? Then what?

Then it will be an awesome system with great games and fantastic OS and services.

The bottom line is that MS believes the user experience of having their OS and features with Kinect as standard will be worth the extra $100 to consumers. If they implement it well then they're probably right.

Come on people, the desperation some of you are displaying is not displaying you in a good light.

Right, because another bunch of B3Ders weren't rushing in a frenzy to link whatever fragment of misinterpreted information as tantamount to a doomsday downclock situation.

I am literally rolling my eyes irl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back