News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
At MS I'd be more concerned about the political agenda, than whether she has hardware experience.

The XBox group has been largely insulated from various company wide initiatives, if it's part of windows then that pretty much ends.
Won't affect the XB1 hardware software stack at this point, but I have to wonder how 1st party development and 3rd party development would be impacted.

I think its actually a good thing. PC and Xbox using similar hardware and similar Os' and all seems to be the synergy MS is looking for... and why not? You can drive two markets from one codebase.

VERY BAD things happen when software people start thinking they have a clue about running hardware divisions.
I dunno how you can make that sweeping generalisation. Kutaragi was the most hardware-oriented guy out there, and because of that the consoles suffered. A console is the sum of its software and hardware, and neither/either can take preference. You can lead with a software experience and find hardware to fit, or you can lead with target hardware and make the best software to fit.

I dunno how you can make that sweeping generalisation. Kutaragi was the most hardware-oriented guy out there, and because of that the consoles suffered. A console is the sum of its software and hardware, and neither/either can take preference. You can lead with a software experience and find hardware to fit, or you can lead with target hardware and make the best software to fit.

Considering they are likely to have people that are strong in their fields guiding the hardware and software groups, it shouldn't be an issue of who is at the top of the pyramid as long as they are not grossly incompetent. People overrate the importance of public figures at the top of the pyramid while a lot of good people do the heavy lifting out of sight.

Playing the devil's advocate, I think a top exec who isn't proficient in hardware design will be a lot more willing to trust the engineers decisions. Their job should be about the business side, not the engineering side.

Considering they are likely to have people that are strong in their fields guiding the hardware and software groups, it shouldn't be an issue of who is at the top of the pyramid as long as they are not grossly incompetent. People overrate the importance of public figures at the top of the pyramid while a lot of good people do the heavy lifting out of sight.
Yep. One could even argue that a person with a ahrdware or software background probably won't have the skillset of someone with a management background andis skilled and talented and balancing the needs and wishes of the different arms contributing to the product. The best leaders are sometimes the most humble and open as opposed to the most opinionated, like a good, neutral diploma at the negotiating table.

Well from living through that scenario. Not many people on the planet who can lead both.

But yes, pretty sweeping and there are exceptions. But still would not recommend software oriented lead for hardware division. Yes, combo of hardware and software. Still would say keep the software oriented over in the software division, hardware lead in the hardware division and both reporting to the right person one level up.

I think its actually a good thing. PC and Xbox using similar hardware and similar Os' and all seems to be the synergy MS is looking for... and why not? You can drive two markets from one codebase.

Theory is fine.
Issue is previously the XBox group was free to make decisions they saw as best for themselves, as a part of Windows that decision making process has to include the larger platform and branding.

Having worked at MS and having tried to collaborate with the Windows group, I don't envy any group being stuck in that org.

Now it has changed since Sinofsky left, and since the hardware and OS will be done when it happens, it'll limit the damage. So how it pans out remains to be seen.

FWIW I've always said the best thing that can happen for Sony is if the Windows group becomes more involved in XBox.

Well from living through that scenario. Not many people on the planet who can lead both.

But yes, pretty sweeping and there are exceptions. But still would not recommend software oriented lead for hardware division. Yes, combo of hardware and software. Still would say keep the software oriented over in the software division, hardware lead in the hardware division and both reporting to the right person one level up.

That's true. In a flat world, like mine, having a software VP for our group wouldn't work. But that's basically one-step removed from the people at the bottom. There are no middle managers. But the actual president of something like an Xbox division? Probably doesn't matter, especially where Microsoft most likely has a pyramid type structure.

Pastebin Halo Xbox One "leak" - well at least it sounds reasonable. Some interesting HW things in it:
http://pastebin.com/qW6LVdFx
Tech:
60 FPS has been confirmed at E3, now the team around Corinne is basically taking the Halo 4 Engine, "dumps" it on Xbox One Devkits and measures the perfomance and goes from there.
The Xbox One hardware is really powerful, though as many have stated not as powerful as Sony's machine. Nevertheless the team does have the goal to create one of the best looking titles next year. People are seriously overstating the power difference and underestimate the potential of the eSRAM (yes, it was included for bandwidth reasons, but the low latency does increase efficiencs in real world perfomance, if the eSRAM is used in smart way. I basically got the same code, with some optimization with the eSRAM running only 20% worse on Xbox Oen than on a PS4-Devkit from January.
Now what tech and graphical features will be implemented?
Deferred Shading will finally be implemented, Halo 4 was really sparse on terms of dynamic lights, a drawback of havin to use a traditional forward renderer. G-Buffer will consist of 4 MRTs. The entire pipeline is HDR and linear space. Those Render Targets will probably be stored in the eSRAM or split between the two pools, depending on perfomance.
Some form of SSAO will also be implemented, Halo 4 only had static and baked AO which looked great in pictures.
PRTs will be used, current tests with eSRAM and the results are amazing. Thanks to 5GB of ram (soon 6GB ;) ) the textures will look amazing and the models will have plenty detail.
There are a few drawbacks with aiming for 60 FPS. First the game will not render in native 1080p. Current resoultion on display plane 2 is 1920x720 (1,3 Megapixel compared to 2 for 1080p), display plane 1 (HUD an weapon) will be native 1080p. You literally cant tell the difference.

Well it's pastebin, so take it with a truck of salt.

Btw: first post here. :)

Heh, maybe Halo 5 will allow the player to walk more than 5 meters away from a dropped weapon before it disappears.

There are a few drawbacks with aiming for 60 FPS. First the game will not render in native 1080p. Current resoultion on display plane 2 is 1920x720 (1,3 Megapixel compared to 2 for 1080p), display plane 1 (HUD an weapon) will be native 1080p. You literally cant tell the difference.
I think this is the xbone secret sauce.

Render the HUD at 1080p and the game at 720p. No one will be able to tell the difference and you can say the games at 1080p@60fps. I think this is what they are doing already. Very clever....

I wonder if DF would even been able to tell the difference.

True, but I want to know will playing a game and not having any negative complaints filed against you count as a positive experience? In the old system, it wouldn't matter how many 'neutral' or even positive experiences you had, you simply saw the outcome of the negatives even after 8 years they're still impacting your reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back