Advice on water cooled PC *spawn*

FYI frozencpu.com has Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15 fans in stock today (120 pieces just now). They will go fast and I highly recommend these for radiators. They are silent but the hum is low pitch and the static pressure is excellent.

I assume most people have a mixer tap, if not a sort of y unit one end on the hot one on the cold
inline pump ? I can shoot water down a 30 meter hose pipe from my tap a bit of tubing will be no problem

I assume most people have a mixer tap, if not a sort of y unit one end on the hot one on the cold
inline pump ? I can shoot water down a 30 meter hose pipe from my tap a bit of tubing will be no problem

You would need a pump, you have a constant mains pressure fed pipe to your computer the rest of the pressure at your taps will drop.

What you would want is a separate plastic cold water tank fitted in the loft with a ball stop fitted ( like the ones toilets use ) to control the capacity. All that then pumped through your computer, you could then pump it back into the loft through a massive radiator and then back into the tank were the low ambient temperatures would help to main the cold temperature.

How does one get Intel to send you samples...?

I used to do hardware reviews for a website, stopped doing it in late 2009, but the site's owner contacted me last month asking if I might be interested in a CPU roundup article testing the latest simulations (DCS A-10, Project CARS, Rise of Flight, BF3, etc. So I pinged my old Intel contact and he sent the 3820 my way.

I'll check out frozencpu's stock. I'm fine with air, but that Intel water cooler is $84 on Amazon so if comparable sink/fan coolers are close in price I'll probably opt for it.

Lets hope you dont test that cpu and publish benchmarks from a game still in beta - not that you'd do that john ;)

@almighty u.k water pressure in the u.k is 5 bar I beleive i dont think i'd need a pump

Actually no, I just realised it wasnt you it was andy bush, who used a lomac beta to test a new p4. eagle dynamics wernt happy
as everyone went woah, those framerates suck

Actually no, I just realised it wasnt you it was andy bush, who used a lomac beta to test a new p4. eagle dynamics wernt happy
as everyone went woah, those framerates suck

LOMAC was a performance hog on highest details, but nothing computers 5 years later couldn't handle :smile:. Kind of Crysis in Sim world.

CPU is an i7-2600k @ 4.5 GHz. 580s are running stock for now, but I have to start OC'ing them and maybe push the 2600k closer to 5 GHz now that it's got nice cooling.

Have you tried any OC'ing on those GPU's yet and has the system ran fine?

I think I might be trying to build a watercooling loop into my case as well.

I found this cool 3x180 slim radiator that looks to be pretty much made for my Raven02 case.

ex-rad-287.jpg

With pretty minor modding it should fit right in and I can keep the things I really like about my current case, great dust filters 3x air penetrator fans and the positive pressure design. I know as a result this wont be a silent rig, but I love this case and I just really want to do this :)

There is a video of the smaller version of that radiator being built into Raven02, he shows the bigger one as well and it looks huge! (1.25 min)

Even keeping the case fans and filters you lose some room, but can still easily fit cards the size of GTX 680 in there.

I'm a total noob on this watercooling thing though. I wonder what sort of performance difference is between 2*180 or 3*180 radiator? The big one should be more than enough for a CPU and 1 GPU?

edit: I'll gladly take some advice on everything. Blocks, pumps, hoses and whatnot :)

I probably wont be buying any new PC components at this time though so it'll be i7 950 and GTX 680. Good thing is I wont lose the warranty of the GPU, because it's EVGA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thin rads = High FPI = Needs massive air flow = Noisy

In terms of parts

EK Supreme HF is the best CPU block available
Laing 18w DDC is one of the best if not the best pumps around
EK GPU blocks are also very good

Thin rads = High FPI = Needs massive air flow = Noisy

In terms of parts

EK Supreme HF is the best CPU block available
Laing 18w DDC is one of the best if not the best pumps around
EK GPU blocks are also very good

Thanks for the advices, I did order that particular CPU block. I have the radiator coming in as well...For the GPU I hurried and bought a full block

http://www.techpowerup.com/162874/Aqua-Computer-Announces-AquaGraFX-GTX-680-Water-Block.html

I'm confused about the pumps and reservoirs...Like I said I'm a total noob in this. Pumps seems to sometime have a additional TOP-part and some are built in a reservoir. Do I need this TOP part?

I almost ordered this one already.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-060-OE&groupid=962&catid=2141&subcat=2145

I have to study my case a bit more and see how much room there is. I do have to remove some of the HDD holders by cutting them.

Lot's of work to be done...

Thanks for the advices, I did order that particular CPU block. I have the radiator coming in as well...For the GPU I hurried and bought a full block

http://www.techpowerup.com/162874/Aqua-Computer-Announces-AquaGraFX-GTX-680-Water-Block.html

I'm confused about the pumps and reservoirs...Like I said I'm a total noob in this. Pumps seems to sometime have a additional TOP-part and some are built in a reservoir. Do I need this TOP part?

I almost ordered this one already.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-060-OE&groupid=962&catid=2141&subcat=2145

I have to study my case a bit more and see how much room there is. I do have to remove some of the HDD holders by cutting them.

Lot's of work to be done...

D5 is not the best pump to use tbh, it's around 3-4 times the physical size of a Laing DDC and yet has less pressure head meaning that as you add more blocks to the loop it will drop in flow rate and pressure more then a DDC and considering you're cooling both CPU+GPU you really need all the pressure you can get.

You can also drive bay mount the Laing DDC making placement of it a lot easier.

As for the GPU block I would ditch that, Heat killer make nice looking blocks but that's all they are, nice looking, In reality they're over priced and under performers.

Consider getting the EK GTX 680 block.

D5 is not the best pump to use tbh, it's around 3-4 times the physical size of a Laing DDC and yet has less pressure head meaning that as you add more blocks to the loop it will drop in flow rate and pressure more then a DDC and considering you're cooling both CPU+GPU you really need all the pressure you can get.

You can also drive bay mount the Laing DDC making placement of it a lot easier.

As for the GPU block I would ditch that, Heat killer make nice looking blocks but that's all they are, nice looking, In reality they're over priced and under performers.

Consider getting the EK GTX 680 block.

The GPU block was already paid and shipped by the time I read your post, so I think I wont be sending it back. It will just have to do, at least it looks pretty :) and I think the performance will still be ok.

So this Laing pump is the one to go for? Should I get a top for it?

WC-047-AC_19156_350.jpg

Does reservoir size make a difference, what about hoses, are some fittings better than others, is there something particular I should worry about leaking etc.

Man I have too many questions at the moment. :)

I
The GPU block was already paid and shipped by the time I read your post, so I think I wont be sending it back. It will just have to do, at least it looks pretty :) and I think the performance will still be ok.

So this Laing pump is the one to go for? Should I get a top for it?

WC-047-AC_19156_350.jpg

Does reservoir size make a difference, what about hoses, are some fittings better than others, is there something particular I should worry about leaking etc.

Man I have too many questions at the moment. :)

XSPC make the best pump tops for the DDC in terms of flow rate.

Reservoir size makes no difference.

Well I have most of the parts ordered and on their way, the CPU block arrived already.
I got the XSPC double 5.25" drive bay reservoir/top for single Laing DCC pump. 3/8 tubes.

I have three different loop setup configurations on mind at the moment.

This one looks pretty simple and cool when the end part of the loop runs "behind the scenes"
complete4.jpg

This looks short, easy and effective, at the moment my most likely option.
AtxMG.jpg

This should work too.
NBByh.jpg

Pics are from here.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...rtress-FT02-amp-Raven-RV02-Liquid-Cooled-Club

It's a pity that my case has a different hard drive bay setup than Fortress 2 or the newer Raven 2 evo, I have to do more extensive modifying because of that, but the case itself should be ready on monday and hopefully the build itself will be ready during the next weekend.

I read that the Magicool 3x180 radiator has FPI of 13. It's not that high is it? It's 35mm thick, the same thickness as that XSPC EX-series radiator that almighty recommended for Mize? The surface area in this 3*180 is bigger than 2*3*120 radiators combined, so I'm expecting good performance.

radchart2.jpg

I wonder how much fluid the entire setup will hold? and what sort of fluid I should use if I want it to be low maintenance, I've read arguments for all sort of different fluids and additives and some say just use tap water...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry. I haven't had time to follow. I will try to read this thread tonight or tomorrow AM and chime in with my thoughts. I will say that the fans I picked are simply amazing and I highly recommend them.

Back