GTA V announced [2011] , [2021-11-11]

I played it for a couple of hours yesterday (PSN version) and I'm kinda blown away by just how good this game looks. Heck, it also runs pretty damn good.

What about pop ups ? and texture loading int eh psn version. My game is downloading as we speak, 10.5gb done, but isn't R* saying that the game's streaming system is optimised for Disc+HDD reads together? How does th ePSN version fair against a disc based version?

How many units do they have to sell to achieve that kind of number? 50 million? Seems rather optimistic, even for a GTA game.

I don't know, the hype has been pretty high for this and the advertising has been pretty much in your face for the last month or so. Even if you aren't that interested in the game all those adverts are going to be sitting in your subconscious tweaking your 'interest' neurons everytime you see a picture from the advertising or the game.

Also it's releasing on three platforms. I think they'll make their money back especially of the MP section turns out to be solid.

I didn't notice anything particularly egregious during the two hours I've played. There were a couple of times where I noticed (mid-res) textures being swapped for higher res versions when I approached, but that was pretty much it. I think I've noticed more pop ups and texture issues in The Last of US.

That said, I wasn't really lookin for imperfections. Come to think of imperfections, the boobs of the strippers were weirdly angular. Cheap plastic surgery is rampant in Los Santos or so it seems.

I'd like to add that I played this game using my projector, and at that size, image quality issues tend to really blow up in your face. I still thought it looked mighty fine. I'm not much of a stickler for that kinda stuff, though. I played RDR on the PS3 and thought it looked fantastic as well.

Although people in this very thread playing the PSN version already said it seems to be fine anyway. But it's certainly possible that disc + hdd may perform better on PS3 as well.

I really don't think he was. I think he was just being a perfect example of the kind of pillock I was talking about (minus the transgender abuse).

If I am a pillock for criticising her then my dear sir you are a complete and utter moron for criticising me. This is how criticism works, everybody is entitled to an opinion.

I'd like to add that I played this game using my projector, and at that size, image quality issues tend to really blow up in your face. I still thought it looked mighty fine. I'm not much of a stickler for that kinda stuff, though. I played RDR on the PS3 and thought it looked fantastic as well.

It looks to me exactly like RDR on PS3, whereas the RDR X360 version had a much better IQ. Now I have the X360 version of GTAV and it is just right into my face. I'll try it again tonight and maybe I just need some time getting used to AAA console game graphics.

If I am a pillock for criticising her then my dear sir you are a complete and utter moron for criticising me. This is how criticism works, everybody is entitled to an opinion.

You aren't a pillock for criticising her you dumbass. You're a pillock because of the argument you use to criticise her. It's moronic. You're saying that she shouldn't be allowed to review games like GTA V because she gave it 9/10. NINE out of ten.

As for your last sentence, do you not see the irony of you saying "everybody is entitled to an opinion" when you're saying she shouldn't be allowed to review these games?

Compared to what, is what most people would ask.

Yeah, you are right. I mean I know that I have to take everything into account (open world and such things) and that this is the results of some compromises.

If I compare only IQ, isolated as a single metric, I recently played Diablo 3 and Pupeteer on console and I had no issue with those, whereas GTAV on my screen is really not good looking. As I said, I know that there are compromises, especially on those old consoles...but I still wonder how one can praise those graphics, when one metric (IQ in this case) is notable below average. And to be honest, there are a lot of other sub-optimal "in your face" issues as well (e.g. low poly counts).

But I think that it is just all different opinions, and a different view due to reference. It is exactly a game like this, where I wished that I did not start gaming on PC...it just kills lots of excitement...so people, don't start with it!! :smile:

But as I am the only one with this opinion on the whole planet, I just leave it like this and won't argue any more and take it as my personal opinion.

Although people in this very thread playing the PSN version already said it seems to be fine anyway. But it's certainly possible that disc + hdd may perform better on PS3 as well.

Yes, it could be a bit more pop in like the 2 discs installed 360 version issue, which makes sense. Not sure if it's a big issue but good to be wary of it if youve got the choice.

Well see, that's the thing. Compared to what I am used to for the genre, I think Diablo 3 is very disappointing versus what PS2 game Champions of Norrath looked like (and played better too imho). And Puppeteer looks pretty nice of course, but it's also an incredibly limited field of view (which allows for some lovely lighting effects).

GTA V is on a completely different scale. I do know that the 360 version has some weird bug with the texturing filtering though that makes it look very bad in places with the ground textures, but generally it looks very nice.

Compared to what, is what most people would ask.

Beat me to it.

Especially since all the other user comments and official reviews say this game is pretty much the best looking game of the generation on any given system.

I'm really wondering what Billy's comparing it to and what his thoughts were of RDR, considering that game was also incredibly beautiful.

This seems pretty cool. I've never owned a GTA game as I never really liked the gameplay of each individual element all that much (bad shooting and driving mechanics), but they seem to be improved in this version.

I'll wait until it comes to X1 though, which I'm pretty sure it will. If not, then GTA VI for me. :)

I don't have any complaints regarding graphics (PS3 version), game looks very good, but framerate is not what I hoped for ... multiplatform swan song of this generation for sure

Beat me to it.

Especially since all the other user comments and official reviews say this game is pretty much the best looking game of the generation on any given system.

I'm really wondering what Billy's comparing it to and what his thoughts were of RDR, considering that game was also incredibly beautiful.

RDR back at release (the X360 version of course, PS3 version for me was unplayable) was one of the best looking games out there for me...and still is. The major difference is: not relative to other open world games...but absolute compared to all games...in my opinion of course.

Now, several years later GTAV for me is not even a looker compared to other open world games. But this is just my personal impression and might well have to do with the fact that I don't dig the style and art of the game. On the other hand the compromises needed to make this run 30fps-ish are apparent and often right in your face such that I am personally not as impressed.

That's all there is to say from my side I guess and I don't want to derail the thread any longer :)

Back