Sony's content platform and business strategy *spawn

So, I have a hard time understanding how the PS2 fits into the casual (had some casual games sure, but sales were not even close and it wasn't a game changer like the wii was).

One is more hardcore with some casual eyetoy games that had some sales, the other is a game changer in the industry. One isn't like the other.

Just because Wii moved a step further that doesnt mean the PS2 was mostly a core console. It was a good balance of both
Do you think that 100+ million PS2 owners are mostly core gamers? The PS1 was indeed a game changer and grew the console industry enormously by attracting casuals and hardcore alike, The PS2 continued from there and expanded even further.
Then the PS3 did everything that made the PS1 and PS2 such successes wrong during its first stages of its life.
Sony isnt chasing Nintendo. They are chasing after the old Sony.

Are we talking about casual game by this definition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casual_game :?:
No. Well, at least I'm not. ;) Clearly the definition here defies that randomly made-up Wiki entry, as some are citing the likes of Super Smash and Mariokart as 'casual' games. I dare say the use here is a simplified gameplay mechanic that is easy to learn and doesn't need sophisticated hand coordination such that anyone can pick up and play (I've seen people struggle with dual-thumbstick input, for example), and a presentation that invites inclusion by more than just the 14-30 year old male demographic, especially in a sociable environment. Effectively the 'casual' market is everyone else who wouldn't play sports simulations (Madden, FIFA, because of their complex controls), shooters, horror games, realistic racers, etc. Within that broader demographic you'll find the likes of The Sims which defies that Wiki entry, Barbie's Pony Adventure, Dance Dance Revolution and SingStar, EyeToy and Wii Sports, Kinect Adventures, Super Monkey Ball, and plenty more titles I'm sure people can argue over because the industry doesn't have clear definitions. ;)

It effectively comes down to "why weren't these consumers gaming in the 80s and 90s? What's different now?" Whatever is 'different' constitutes a casual game.

It's probably not worth getting into a debate as to definitions here. Suffice to say 'wider audience' is the target, and 'casual' in the context of Sony's positioning is whoever isn't buying PS3 because of its library.

I asked because casual in PS2 era isn't same casual in Wii era.
It is, only the Wii audience was larger. Still the same 'non-gamer' contingent buying a console to play sociable or physical games. It may be that Wii's crowd is a spent force now, having had their fill of novel waggley games and not to be wooed back to gaming, but there's still a market for non-core gamers. If MS or Sony want to get 100+ million sales in five to six years, they'll need a draw far larger than high powered hardware and core games.

It was just reminder that casuals were not big part of those sales ;)

How does that say anything about casuals and hardcore gamers? ;)
Core and casuals can get their consoles chipped. Do you know how many of these sales are consisted of pirate core gamers or pirate casual gamers? ;)

How does that say anything about casuals and hardcore gamers? ;)
Core and casuals can get their consoles chipped. Do you know how many of these sales are consisted of pirate core gamers or pirate casual gamers? ;)

Common sense tell me that casuals who bought PS2+EyeToy to wash virtual windows on their telly are less likely to seek someone who install mod chip and pirate their games.
I had term pirate associated with core teenagers who play lots of games, but maybe it is just me.
Of course we don't have any numbers to back up our claims, but again it was not me who brought sales numbers into debate.

Common sense tell me that casuals who bought PS2+EyeToy to wash virtual windows on their telly are less likely to seek someone who install mod chip and pirate their games.
I had term pirate associated with core teenagers who play lots of games, but maybe it is just me.
Of course we don't have any numbers to back up our claims, but again it was not me who brought sales numbers into debate.

Your "common sense" is based on your personal assumption ;)
In my areas having a chipped PS2 and PS1 console was a standard procedure. The XBOX? You dont wanna see how much that got pirated. People who were never core gamers had their XBOXs chipped, had their HDD's replaced and filled with games. They didnt do it themselves. The shops showed them and did it for them. It was an awesome offer for parents and their kids. Games coming by the backetloads. Awesome deal for them even if they never finished or played most of them
Shops offered that service even selling chipped consoles out of the box. They didnt do it because they want to extend their gaming experience. They did it because they play anything they find and want to do it at low cost
Parents and kids who arent willing to pay 50 euros/dollars for games see piracy as a godsent

There are even countries where piracy is as normal as buying water from a supermarket. In Saudi Arabia for example, it was hard to find people who did not own pirated consoles. PS3 must have been a game breaker for them considering how hard it is to pirate on it

My father used to work there. I was 13 years old when he bought me a PS1 from SA. My parent wasnt willing to pay a backetload of money for videogames. He got my console chipped at a shop. I immediately had a huge game library.

But to top it off, my father who was never a gamer begun playing some videogames. Thanks to what? Tomb Raider which was his favorite. Not only that, but another friend of his who was never into videogames, also bought a PS1 when my father showed him the console and Tomb Raider, he had it chipped from day 1 and became a gamer. We are talking about people above their fourties.

All my friends had the PS1's chipped. We were kids and most of us played any game. Crap game? Good game? You name it. We werent core gamers at the time. But kids were crazy for chipped PS1 consoles (ok truth be told I was more selective. My friends were buying pirated games if they looked good on the cover though)

Piracy attracts casual gamers and parents as it lowers cost of entry a lot.

The guy who is willing to pay FP for games is more likely to be the core gamer who takes his games more seriously ;)

Remember: Piracy is not some secret complex procedure done manually by geeks and gamer nerds. Its an openly seeked "feature" from many consumers who view videogames as simple toys and just want to have fun

Remember: Piracy is not some secret complex procedure done manually by geeks and gamer nerds. Its an openly seeked "feature" from many consumers who view videogames as simple toys and just want to have fun

That usually depends on where you are geographically in the world and what kind of people you know.

Than I must be weird, because I never pirated single PS1,2,3 game and chipped consoles were not available in shops because it is illegal. And that is in former "Eastern Bloc" in Europe, not exactly rich part of the World.
What you are describing Nesh is like something I would expect from Greece or Turkey and I don't think Sony or anyone else is after people who are attracted because ease of piracy, casual or not.

Than I must be weird, because I never pirated single PS1,2,3 game and chipped consoles were not available in shops because it is illegal. And that is in former "Eastern Bloc" in Europe, not exactly rich part of the World.
What you are describing Nesh is like something I would expect from Greece or Turkey and I don't think Sony or anyone else is after people who are attracted because ease of piracy, casual or not.
My PS1 games were almost all pirated. All my PS2 games though are original even though people were pirating on it.
And yes Greece it is. A friend studying in Russia confirmed also that piracy was very strong there too.
I d like to note that piracy is also illegal in Greece and Saudi Arabia. And it was also back in the PS1 days, but it didnt stop it from being widespread.
Shops didnt have the pirated games or chipped consoles on display. It was like a shop like any other. But they knew customers would ask for them and hence they had them somewhere in the shop, or they would produce pirated games or add chips on consoles on demand just to be on the safe side.
If you are in a country where getting your console chipped is hard then you are living in a country where chipped console owners are few and negligible.
Go to the countries where its widepsread and you see a significant number of millions which includes core and casuals ;)

I have the impression everybody got out of this console gen quite happy. Nintendo managed to turn the table after ist 3rd place with the game-cube. MS managed to become relevant, and dominate US, and Sony, while didn't enjoy the same kind of success they did with ps2, should be more then happy with their acomplishments with ps3 given the dark first years of its life.
Gotta take my hat off to sony.

Has there been that many sales since both Sony and MS announced they reached their 70M milestones?
I'm I confusing the number of "sold" versus "shipped"?

I have the impression everybody got out of this console gen quite happy. Nintendo managed to turn the table after ist 3rd place with the game-cube. MS managed to become relevant, and dominate US, and Sony, while didn't enjoy the same kind of success they did with ps2, should be more then happy with their acomplishments with ps3 given the dark first years of its life.
Gotta take my hat off to sony.

Yup, the HD guys did alright.

I think Nintendo kind of died at the finish line though.

What good is selling the most consoles (and making the most money) if the Wii name is practically dead in the water now? No real advancements were made in the places they were lacking in (hardware, 3rd party, online). Where's all the profit and reinvestment going to?

Back