*spin-off* WiFi Effects on People

RudeCurve

Banned
All of this WiFi streaming can't be good for young kids who's brains are still developing. I think Nintendo will have to put out a warning like the 3DS where younger kids' vision development may be affected.

You sound like my wife !

... at least I get to see a network of controllers as a nextgen platform. ^_^

The maximum transmit power of Wi-Fi is an order of magnitude lower than a GSM cellphone, and you probably won't keep a game controller half an inch from your brain either. But this is probably a topic for another thread... :)

You are overlooking TIME. Young kids don't spend several hours a day using cellphones but they will likely spend several hours a day playing games using WiFi. If streaming becomes commonplace it's going to get even worse as streaming is SUSTAINED power transmission. Also non-GSM phones use 2GHz+ frequencies. WiFi field density is actually worse than UTMS let alone GSM.

But yeah this should be in another thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
just curious, is living under very high voltage electricity power line will have bad effect?
there so many houses being built right on below these very high voltage power lines....

Possibly.

The WHO and other international agencies dealing with health classify low frequency
magnetic fields, generated by power lines, as a Class 2b carcinogen (possibly carcinogenic)
based on numerous studies of childhood leukemia.

Oh wait, you just link to really scummy people ... the youtube description says :

"It is easy to prove TETRA is not safe. Barrie Trower
http://www.emfnews.org/productinfo.html"

But Barrie Trower has fuck all to do with them. The scum who run the website perpetuate the egg hoax.

Anyway, interesting you-tube links - listened to them.

Makes me want to have time to study papers regarding microwave impact on living cells and such :p

However, it was quite contradictory that Barrie Trower said that the cause of health risk was the modulation frequency used over the carrier. That would imply that all the talk about microwaves being dangerous is inaccurate (of course, possibly useful when directed at general public if the underlying effects are true). Make me also wander if using different encoding algorithms (different modulation techniques) would make it all safe and sound.

There's been no physical effect or interaction described anywhere or by anyone between EM radiation of the frequencies wifi uses and cellular matter such as DNA or other proteins, so how could it possibly be carcinogenic, through sheer magic? :rolleyes:

Whenever I hear these sorts of claims, I think "snake oil". Coz that's what it is.

wholeheartedly agree that the claims are dubious. However, I can only be impressed when someone makes such bold claims that actually point to sources and research and thus can be quite easily proven right or wrong.

Moreover, at least with my primitive understanding of the human anatomy, most things are carcinogenic through sheer magic. I don't think someone had ever explained what are the detailed processes of interaction between say, margarine and the human body that makes it more likely for cancer to apear. They have statistic studies perhaps, a correlation is found and then speculations (informed ones, of course) start. That's my view.

And if this is true, than EM radiation may just as well produce cancer :)

With regards to cell phone usage I've limited mine to speaker phone and also switch it to flight mode at night before I go to bed. As for WiFi I only turn the radio on when I need to access via my iPhone. My desktop and Xbox uses ethernet only. I don't think there's been enough research into these technologies to put my health on the line.

If you feel comfortable hedging your bet knowing that if later research shows that it causes health effects then that's your choice, but don't say you haven't been warned. BTW what are you going to do if more research points to irreversible health risks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much the only way for EM radiation to have any effect on genes is for any single photon to have high enough energy to push out an electron from some cell's atom. Wifi and GSM signals have way WAY too low energies to cause anything like that. Time spent in the field has nothing to do with it. You can't really combine the energy from more than one photon to get enough energy to get a reaction and even if you could then consider that on sub-atomic scale the matter is pretty much as dense as universe on average meaning it's quite rare to get several photons hitting the same atom within short enough time.

Or to put that to some scale, our bodies are constantly getting bombarded by particles and photons from space that do have enough energy to cause changes in atoms but I've yet to see a research telling that e.g pilots have statistically higher chance of getting cancer due to extra exposure to those things.

With regards to cell phone usage I've limited mine to speaker phone and also switch it to flight mode at night before I go to bed. As for WiFi I only turn the radio on when I need to access via my iPhone. My desktop and Xbox uses ethernet only.
Why do you jump through these ridiculous hoops if you don't even know if wifi emissions are dangerous or not? Lemme ask you this, do you smoke? Drink alcohol? Eat fried, cured or smoked meat? All of these things are guaranteed to be far, far more dangerous to your health than the ludicrously low energies from the radios of these things.

Btw, do you live in a house that uses high-tech gadgetry that contains all kinds of chemicals with VERY WELL DOCUMENTED negative health effects? Do you use any common household chemicals such as antiperspirants/eau de cologne, shampoos or shower creams, air fresheners, fabric softeners, spray-on cleaning agents, and so on? Many of these products contain chemicals that also are documented as strongly allergenic or even carcinogenic.

What gives people cancer from cell phones (assuming that's ever happened) is almost certainly NOT the EM emissions from the phone's antennas, but rather the chemical fumes emitted from the product itself while you hold it up to your face so you can breathe 'em right in. There's often stuff like flame retardants, plasticisizers, flux residue, solvents from epoxy resins and so on in electronic products that evaporate over time, particulary when it heats up during use.

I don't think there's been enough research into these technologies to put my health on the line.
You're sure to get far more dangerous crap in your body from gassing up your car than from sleeping with your cellphone in your pants pocket across the room... :rolleyes: Hell, what about taking a walk in downtown NY or LA... Shit, the air in any big city's liable to cut years from your life expectancy and you worry about wifi waves? :LOL: Ludicrous!

If you feel comfortable hedging your bet knowing that if later research shows that it causes health effects then that's your choice, but don't say you haven't been warned.
Again, that's a ludicrous standpoint when there's no even indirect methods described where these apparatuses could affect biological matter. The physics that we use to design these things in the first place simply doesn't support the notion. Alright?

BTW what are you going to do if more research points to irreversible health risks?
Run around and PANICPANICPANICPANIC!!!

...Err, no.

Driving your car to the supermarket instead of walking there, and taking the elevator/escalator instead of the stairs are going to have more serious health repercussions than being in the same room as a wifi/cellular transciever.

Pretty much the only way for EM radiation to have any effect on genes is for any single photon to have high enough energy to push out an electron from some cell's atom. Wifi and GSM signals have way WAY too low energies to cause anything like that. Time spent in the field has nothing to do with it. You can't really combine the energy from more than one photon to get enough energy to get a reaction and even if you could then consider that on sub-atomic scale the matter is pretty much as dense as universe on average meaning it's quite rare to get several photons hitting the same atom within short enough time..

Clearly wrong...WiFi and cell phone radiation are non-ionizing. It doesn't effect cells the same way as ionizing radiation.

Or to put that to some scale, our bodies are constantly getting bombarded by particles and photons from space that do have enough energy to cause changes in atoms but I've yet to see a research telling that e.g pilots have statistically higher chance of getting cancer due to extra exposure to those things

Too much UV from the Sun causes skin cancer. UV radiation is ionizing radiation btw.

Back