*spin-off* WiFi Effects on People

I know, you may argue that you can´t really feel radioactive radiation either but would get health effects from that.

Arguably that depends on the dose, you will immediately "feel" >20Gy or so. Only very briefly though, then your nervous system shuts down.
But the point is, and I agree, we have no receptors specifically capable of directly sensing this type of radiation, as opposed to say infrared or optical.

Well, I sure can "sense" 2.4GHz microwave data transmissions, I just have to talk into my Siemens DECT phone for a while for my ear/cheek to start feeling hot and itchy... Other than that though I don't believe there's a reliable way to do it.
I seriously doubt you're feeling the 2.4GHz emissions of the phone. That's probably almost entirely the waste heat produced by the phone's electronics.

You sure? Because the phone itself doesn't feel particulary hot, or even warm for that matter.

You sure? Because the phone itself doesn't feel particulary hot, or even warm for that matter.

Back in the day when normal non-wireless telephones still existed, I got the same effect even out of them. The material you are placing against your ear restricts the heat loss from your skin, causing a local temperature rise. And even if the phone does not feel particularly warm, you will find it warmer than ambient if you actually measure it, which obviously adds even more to the local temperature rise.

Um, I think I would know the difference between sensations, if nothing else then seeing as I sleep every night with my head on a soft pillow (great insulator, if anything is)... :rolleyes:

Um, I think I would know the difference between sensations, if nothing else then seeing as I sleep every night with my head on a soft pillow (great insulator, if anything is)... :rolleyes:

Wrap your pillow in a plastic bag then try the experiment again.

Back