[Multiplat] Battlefield 3

Wow, the lighting is phenomenal - almost every light is casting a shadow and the bloom is perfectly done.

Gameplay looks a bit like CoD though, which I'm not all that happy about.

EDIT: Scratch that, just watched it with the sound on. Wow.

EDIT2: And holy hell, this is just pre-alpha footage.

Last edited by a moderator:
PC gamer impressions

Our friends over at PC Gamer have given their first impressions of Battlefield 3 after seeing the EA FPS last night.

Writing for the PC Gamer website, editor Tim Edwards was most impressed by the game's graphics, which you can see for yourself in the Battlefield 3 gameplay trailer that hit the net this morning.

"It's the sheer visual quality that's the real star," says Tim. "I think it's down to the lighting - the bright sunshine of the Iraq level was extremely impressive.

"When the demo transitioned to the indoors, shafts of sunlight shone through any open windows, creating gorgeous pillars of dust. It absolutely looked a step ahead of last year's big shooters."

"It's built for the PC, to showcase what the PC is capable of. And it's the best looking PC game in the world right now."

Tim went on to say, however, that the actual shooting element of Battlefield 3 was less impressive, apparently making no major steps forward compared to what we've got on the market already:

"Battlefield's single player campaign is clearly a tightly scripted, tightly controlled shooting gallery. In the demo, there was little evidence of enemy soldiers using their own brains to find cover and avoid getting shot."

"Nor did your team-mates do anything to really help out. The player simply pointed the gun at the baddies heads until they fell over. There was a brief moment when the developer used a grenade to blow a chunk of balcony away to reveal a sniper (complete with satisfying ragdoll wheeling through the air), but mostly the player lined up headshots until the PLR began to retreat."
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...-3-is-the-best-looking-pc-game-in-the-world-/

Battlefield's single player campaign is clearly a tightly scripted, tightly controlled shooting gallery

It did look a bit like COD with all that "gogogo" running in the trailer :cry:

I loathe COD campaign gameplay.

The real deal with battlefield is always buzz about this game before launch. Sp and mp i will not comment

Incredible stuff! Geomerics Enlighten engine is really looking good! Also the sound was very convincing and natural, which helps loads with immersion.

Nice to see a preview of what the next-gen consoles will offer in terms of graphics here...

yea with DX11+ no doubt, but make no mistake that dice has some tricks up its sleeves for getting awfully close to this representation on THIS gen of consoles.

No doubt the lighting alone will be the best in any console game and animation will make it down as well the destruction and sound which are already the best in the business.

considering that they are going for complete realism and can not use fantasy art to cover missteps, it is an amazing display of graphics.

yea with DX11+ no doubt, but make no mistake that dice has some tricks up its sleeves for getting awfully close to this representation on THIS gen of consoles.

No doubt the lighting alone will be the best in any console game and animation will make it down as well the destruction and sound which are already the best in the business.

considering that they are going for complete realism and can not use fantasy art to cover missteps, it is an amazing display of graphics.
Yea...amm...I think you have a point.I mean,this is new engine,their 3rd game on consoles and this seems to be what they waited for.Lighting engine itself looked marvelous in Mirrors Edge and I have no doubt they will make it even better this time around,2 yrs after.Geometry and animations should stay untouched on consoles but I'm afraid everything will be "hammered" by IQ.:cry:

So what exactly is ANT? Is it like Euphoria?

Also, they're doing full deferred shading and not just lighting correct? Is that a first on the 360?

Last edited by a moderator:
So what exactly is ANT? Is it like Euphoria?

Also, they're doing full deferred shading and not just lighting correct? Is that a first on the 360?

I think ANT is an animation engine, not a physics driven engine, but I could be wrong. I think it's an SDK that helps create animations, and also provides code for displaying animations in game. From what I know, it's used by all EA Sports titles, and is also used in Crysis 2?

Nice to see a preview of what the next-gen consoles will offer in terms of graphics here...

Err, why are people assuming this cant be done on consoles?

I ask again, name recent PC games with large improvements on PC? Hell, aren't people bitching about Crysis 2 PC for that very reason? It's console trash, the MP looks just like 360, etc?

There's not a single big budget game that looks hugely better on PC this gen imo. So, this is going to be the first?

Further, if this IS actually aimed at PC, then you must assume that Dice are some pretty awful coders. Because for a top line PC game, this would be terrible. Dont forget you're dealing with TEN TIMES the power on PC. Does this look like it's harnessing 10X the power of a console to you? Nope, too me it obviously looks like a super good console game, not a new generation.

Nope, I'm going to go ahead and say this is for the most part what it will look like on X360, in 720P (ish, maybe, given Crysis 2). I'll stake it down here :p

Though I'm sure when it does come out looking roughly the same on console, people are going to quibble over minor deficiencies (as usual in PC vs Console comparisons, IE Bulletstorm for a recent example) and claim theyre a mountain and therefore I was wrong anyway. I'll be able to live knowing I'm right though :p

Back