[Multiplat] Battlefield 3

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by dragonelite, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Tap In

Legend

analysis of gameplay trailer

2. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

The soldier throwing the grenade at the end isn't holding a grenade (3:35 in the above video). Psych! :p

3. kagemaru

Veteran

Seeing as how BF3 seems to be more optimized for DX11 than your average console/PC game, I don't think it's going to be the usual console -> PC gap, I think it's going to be much bigger. Especially when you consider the difference in scale between the two versions (64 vs 24)

4. corduroygt

Banned

I disagree, there are games like GTA4 and Just Cause 2 where I find the PC graphics to be a generation ahead of the console versions. Even BFBC2 looks noticably better on the PC but not a generational leap. Any game that uses higher res textures in the PC version looks way better.

5. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Well, it's not like the trailer is without its faults either. The motion blur, various textures. I think people just aren't used to really good lighting from an art or tech standpoint. *ahem* I think it's the animation work that sells the trailer mostly, and I'd be hardpressed to believe that's a performance issue.

6. Prophecy2k

Veteran

I think it's readily obvious why both this (in your opinion) and Crysis 2 on PC don't look like you'd expect a bleeding edge game built entirely for PC to look... consoles are right now where the money is.

In terms of effects driven by the technology, Frostbite 2 and CE3 are cutting edge. I'd argue that BF3 and C2 are what are not fully taking full advantage of the tech their running on, and i'd also say that it's the consoles that are the reason why. Why should DICE or Crytek spend any more money producing super duper hi quality assets that the consoles can't even reasonably hope to render when they'll make far more money selling both those games on the consoles than they will on PC.

It's obvious really ;-)

7. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

BFBC2 sold really well on PC. Considering they can make the same profits selling on Steam with a fraction of the sales they would require on a console, their decision to focus on PC makes a lot of sense.

8. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Except there is a quite big quality difference, especially in motion... even comparing to low setting there is.

Goes for various other games to, BFBC2 from DICE being one.

9. nightshade

nightshade Interwebz Hijacker !
    Veteran

Yep, I think its the lighting and animation which are making people go crazy.
    Its really something remarkable.

10. 2real4tv

Veteran

Whats the biggest challenge for animation on current gen consoles? Why isn't animation more lifelike?

11. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

Because either it's completely lifelike, or playable and responsive to the user's inputs.

12. Scott_Arm

Legend

True, and this raises the question about whether there will be a big disparity between AI animations in single-player and player animations in multi-player.

13. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I would love a FPS game with "lifelike" player movement and animation. But I think that would not make for a popular game.

14. TEEDA

Regular

15. Rangers

Legend

Dice talks a bit about console

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1245/battlefield-3-eyes-on-with-dice-gameplay-details?o=2#listing

What does that even mean? They're going to run off the hard drive or something?

16. RancidLunchmeat

Veteran

And how are they going to 'refresh' that data without load times or breaks in game play?

17. Graham

Graham Hello :-)
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

I read somewhere they have separate animation sets for SP/MP for exactly this reason

18. MarkoIt

Regular

19. Scott_Arm

Legend

I'm guessing there are still going to be some nice improvements for reload animations, grenade throwing, or other non-twitched based actions like crawling while prone.