AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

I wonder what, if any, of these new 7000 series features will be fully supported using Win7? From my understanding the 7000 series will also support Dx11.1. For example, Stereo 3D is suppose to be one of the fully supported features of Dx 11.1. So will this be fully supported in win7 which is only getting Dx11? Or did I misunderstand it?

I also have to ask what will be the, 'feature', differences between Dx11 and Dx11.1?

I wonder what, if any, of these new 7000 series features will be fully supported using Win7? From my understanding the 7000 series will also support Dx11.1. For example, Stereo 3D is suppose to be one of the fully supported features of Dx 11.1. So will this be fully supported in win7 which is only getting Dx11? Or did I misunderstand it?

I also have to ask what will be the, 'feature', differences between Dx11 and Dx11.1?

Who ever said that Win7 is only getting DX11 ? DX11.1 isn't Win8 only (which is still 12 months away...)

Pretty sure this has been posted before in this thread but:

DirectX 11.1 Features

Yeah, thanks for the link. I saw that before but was wondering what else the 7000 series would hint towards DX11.1 feature(s). Like the 3D stereo...

Who ever said that Win7 is only getting DX11 ? DX11.1 isn't Win8 only (which is still 12 months away...)
Perhaps DX11.1 would also come to win7 but I've not read anything suggesting that it would. If that's the case do you know when it would be released for win7? As that would be news to me, thanks. The point of my post, in general, was to find out if all the features of the 7000 series will be win7 compatible or if there are any features that would need Win8?

Last edited by a moderator:
The question is, why wouldn't it come for Win7? I'd bet it comes for Vista too, just like DX11 did

You're kidding right? Die size is the least relevant indicator of gaming performance and certainly far less important than theoreticals. Die size can be (and has been) spent on things that have nothing to do with games.

I didn't say to gaming performance, it's cost/gamin performance that matters, not % of living up to theoretical. Would this guy be happy if 7970 had 20% less math than GTX 580 but was 1% faster? Apparently so even though in the real world that's worse

i have it on good word that the AMD Radeon HD 7970 is ~ 40 fps in the BF3 @ 2560x1600 max, and is as much faster as the 6970 was over 5870.

There are way too many variables to try to make anything of it.

exactly, because a CF'ed 7970 can also do ~40 fps at 7680x1600@ultra no MSAA and that still wouldn't say anything about what another card or cards. can do in that system.

(although it will be a lot slower :p)

exactly, because a CF'ed 7970 can also do ~40 fps at 7680x1600@ultra no MSAA and that still wouldn't say anything about what another card or cards. can do in that system.

(although it will be a lot slower :p)

Now record 30 minutes of gameplay at that resolution with lossless quality and post on some nice and fast server for us mortars to admire! How many Blu-ray discs will this material take? :p

bf3af.jpg

No idea of the original source, grabbed from MuroBBS post

Back