AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Interesting - a presumed leaked review apparently written by AMD's marketing staff.
I wonder, since it doesn't say, if they used 3 GB GTX 580 cards or intentionally crippled the figures for larger resolutions by using a 1.5 GB version.

Does it really?
At TPU, using same drivers, games etc, closest 2 matches I could find regarding clocks (while having same drivers & games)
GTX580 3GB @ 832/1050 is 5% faster than reference 1.5GB at 2560x1600
GTX580 1.5GB @ 816/1002 is 3% faster than reference 1.5GB at 2560x1600

So 3GB had 2% higher core and nearly 5% higher mem clock, and was only 2% faster at the highest resolution, compared to 1.5GB version.

You really think that 1.5GB cripples it?

(yes, there can be games where it does, but on average it doesn't, and the TPU benches include many of the games used in AMD benches)

Yeah, 25x16 rarely chokes 1.5 GB (have to have very high MSAA), but it's also not a terribly high resolution. Those slides have 76x16 which will definitely cause problems. Also, like most PR reviews, the settings are rather curious for each game - tailored for sure.

I have no doubt the 7970 will slaughter the GTX 580, but I do so detest slanted data.

Call me jaded from my CFX set-up and so many "hot fixes," but I'm anxious to see how good the drivers will be.

The problem is that Nvidia next gen is going to be 2xGTX580 performance...
Just like 480 was released in 2009 and Kepler (the next gen) still coming this year? :D

(and the nV chart is about perf/watt, not performance, and it's DP, not SP which is used in games

Just like 480 was released in 2009 and Kepler (the next gen) still coming this year? :D

(and the nV chart is about perf/watt, not performance, and it's DP, not SP which is used in games

Yes, but a 3-6 months difference is not enough to make people no wait for a card supposely 50-75% faster...Above all taking into account this generation is going to last for a long time. Getting to 20nm is going to take 2-3 years...at least for non intel fabs.

Yes, but a 3-6 months difference is not enough to make people no wait for a card supposely 50-75% faster...Above all taking into account this generation is going to last for a long time. Getting to 20nm is going to take 2-3 years...at least for non intel fabs.

Kepler can be "supposedly" anything, but so far we got rumors about just all over the place.
Unless they want to repeat Fermi with too big die, I doubt we're seeing such performance figures.

I totally disagree. If 7970 delivers these kinds of numbers, CFX scaling *and* solid drivers I think plenty of people won't wait to see if Kepler misses its planned launch. A solid launch of the 79XX will require rock-solid and uber-compatible drivers though.

you guys shouldnt click a website that you dont even understand it's language lol

1_7970_manfromatlantibgrub.jpg

2_7970_manfromatlantiqvpo6.jpg

3_7970_manfromatlanti24phz.jpg

4_7970_manfromatlantio8okn.jpg

5_7970_manfromatlantiziq5k.jpg

6_7970_manfromatlanti5mq6d.jpg

Back