AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

If it is 40% from GTX 580 then we will have a fight. Suppossing it has 4,3 billion transistors, it is more or less 40% more transistors than a GTX 580. Supposing GTX 780 ( or whateever is called ) will be in that ballpark with 768 shader processors the question is if increasing the ALUS in 50 % for Nvidia will give them also a 50% increase in performance ?. This will be interesting.

9bccf6e31bc3f7ddaf4659uqy7.jpg

http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1467521/17

And this is GCN? :cry: A cherry picked "up to 60%"/~45% avg. from 137% tex-fill-, 137% ALU-peak- and 37% BW-advantage over GTX 580.

"We have added the AMD Radeon 7000 series GPUs to the database. You can now see the expected performance of the Radeon 7000 series by using the Compare Graphics Card or Graphs tool. Given these GPUs are slated for release in Q1 of 2012, the GPU benchmarks are entirely based on an advanced mathematical model, but the model should very closely represent the expected performance of the graphics cards come release time. Check it out, and let us know if you have any questions"
http://www.graphicscardbenchmarks.com/

And this is GCN? :cry: A cherry picked "up to 60%"/~45% avg. from 137% tex-fill-, 137% ALU-peak- and 37% BW-advantage over GTX 580.

What the heck do raw theoreticals have to do with anything? By that notion Nvidia has much bigger die (what actually matters) yet is not much faster with GTX580/HD6970...

Given these GPUs are slated for release in Q1 of 2012, the GPU benchmarks are entirely based on an advanced mathematical model, but the model should very closely represent the expected performance of the graphics cards come release time. Check it out, and let us know if you have any questions"
http://www.graphicscardbenchmarks.com/
HD 5870 faster than GTX 570 ? GTX 560 Ti faster than GTX 480 ? I think accurate is not the right word here .

God I hope it supports PLP EyeFinity. Considering it allows different size monitors/resolutions side-by-side I don't see why not. I'd love a 4:3 - 16:10 - 4:3 setup.

As always , we will need to know about the graphics settings, resolution, AA ..etc that were used in that slide .. we will also need to take into account the usual marketing exaggeration (I still remember HD 6970 being 30% faster than GTX 570!) .

The lead (from those graphs) probably isn't that big at lower resolutions (1080p for example), but since I game at 2400x1500 I find those interesting.

As well, if those slides are remotely accurate, the Civ 5 numbers is the most interesting one. In that game Nvidia absolutely dominates AMD currently being almost 50% faster at 2560x1600. This suggests a couple things. AMD finally have multithreaded command lists, and their DXcompute is significantly beefed up. It also means that in that one title at least 7970 might be up to 110% faster than 6970.

Regards,
SB

The lead (from those graphs) probably isn't that big at lower resolutions (1080p for example), but since I game at 2400x1500 I find those interesting.

As well, if those slides are remotely accurate, the Civ 5 numbers is the most interesting one. In that game Nvidia absolutely dominates AMD currently being almost 50% faster at 2560x1600. This suggests a couple things. AMD finally have multithreaded command lists, and their DXcompute is significantly beefed up. It also means that in that one title at least 7970 might be up to 110% faster than 6970.

Regards,
SB

It changes if you are looking leader benchmark or other.. those 25x16 numbers doesnt make sense for me at all if they wont offer official/unofficially downsampling to user..

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20293/8

full slot cooling! finally! with the new ....water chamber cooling...and zerocore...could be the most efficient powerful gpu yet....if i am getting it right...zerocore means it will drop to 3w on idle with a single gpu+igp or does it works only for CFX?

independent audio...yay! does it now mean i can connect the hdmi 7.1 stream to my avr...and another hdmi to my lcd..i no longer need to power on my avr to get image...yay! buhbye optical, DDL, compressed crap!

AMD is awesome! Awesome is AMD for listening to pro-consumer requests! may dump my still rocking hd69750 for this...i wonder if hd7950 flashes like a pervert! :oops:

edit: what will happen to VLIW4? heard that...HD79xx, 78xx and 77xx are on GCN. The rest of SI will be VLIW5..what was AMD thinking of VLIW4...could it be the setup is more efficient for 40nm...slightly downgraded SPs for more ROPs/TMUs...it never was going to be a real architecture...however my HD69750 drivers update over this year boost my 3DM2011 scores by almost a 1K..

did not noticed the curve fronts....the boxy box is also gone...great for cfx cards in parallel!
sure is my dream gpu!

Impressive hardware. Now bring about the nvidia price cuts and also bring about the nvidia 600 series so I can give my feverish brain a rest and I CAN FINALLY upgrade my video cards!

Impressive hardware. Now bring about the nvidia price cuts and also bring about the nvidia 600 series so I can give my feverish brain a rest and I CAN FINALLY upgrade my video cards!

Don't you know yet, HD 8000 is coming!

What the heck do raw theoreticals have to do with anything? By that notion Nvidia has much bigger die (what actually matters) yet is not much faster with GTX580/HD6970...

You're kidding right? Die size is the least relevant indicator of gaming performance and certainly far less important than theoreticals. Die size can be (and has been) spent on things that have nothing to do with games.

It changes if you are looking leader benchmark or other.. those 25x16 numbers doesnt make sense for me at all if they wont offer official/unofficially downsampling to user..

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20293/8

You do realize that the leader benchmark has absolutely nothing to do with the gameplay, right? It's just a rather static slightly animated scene of one of the leaders which you see when you are doing diplomacy.

The "Late Game View" benchmark is more representative of gameplay and there is shows the expected almost doubling of performance that Nvidia has over AMD with current gen graphics cards. Although that link you provided only shows up to the GTX 570 for Nvidia.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5153/nvidias-geforce-gtx-560-ti-w448-cores-gtx570-on-a-budget/4

That link backs up the fact that Nvidia currently dominates rather handily in that game at 2560x1600 due to both having higher DXcompute performance as well as having multithreaded command lists.

Although if you were implying that AMD only benched the leader benchmark then yes that would indeed be less than impressive. But I would hope they wouldn't do that as a marketing stunt because the leader benchmark is absolutely useless for anything.

Regards,
SB

Back