NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

Still, looks underwhelming for me when compared to the 7970 Ghz. But yeah, it's cheaper.

Cheaper ($399), and performance wise --- slightly faster.

In terms of performance, we see the GeForce GTX 770 beat the GeForce GTX 670 by about 10%, and the improvement over the GTX 680 is 4%. Compared to the recently released GTX 780, the card is 15% slower, which still makes the GTX 780 a significant upgrade (at much higher cost, though). The GTX 770 easily beats the more expensive Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition with a 5% performance lead. The new GPU Boost 2.0 algorithm focuses more on operating temperatures, so the card's clocks will be reduced once it reaches 80°C
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_770/4.html

NVIDIA has finally created the perfect competition to the AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition video card with the GTX 770.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/05/30/msi_geforce_gtx_770_lightning_video_card_review/10

I start to really ask me what is doing TPU..

Anandtech find barely 2% faster of the Ghz ( 1080p + 2600p), and like it jump from a game to another, hard to dont say they are equal on performance. ( even if in all games the difference was 2 to 5%, this mean a difference of what ? 2fps, 3fps ? .. )

Hardwarecanuck only bench 2560x1600 and so the 7970ghz is faster by 3%.

Like some other review who pain to put a +2% for the Ghz edition or 2% faster of the 770.

Again, the card is not "really faster" ( at best it depend the game you play ). Nvidia have price it just under the GHZ, but there again they dont offer 4 games with it. And i dont think its a problem to decrease the GHZ price from 20-29$.

On newegg, the MSI 7970GHZ is the same price ( 399$ ), some are at 429$. In Europe some shop allready sold the GHZ edition for a lower price ( in range of 379$ and sometimes less, because they dont have all the games bundle )..

Now on the other hand non stock 770 look more interesting. they are cheap, they are not really much faster of the 680 FTW ( 1186mhz, ) or MSI lightning 680@1176mhz ( +24mhz) .. but still Turbo 2.0 and the higher voltage allow for some better "clocks".

Last edited by a moderator:
I start to really ask me what is doing TPU..
Apart from benchmark selection they still test with two ridiculously low resolutions (well ridiculous for high-end gpus), I don't think anyone else includes such numbers. If you toss those out it would also be nearly a draw there. Though that would still leave about a ~7% difference to some other reviews (hardware.fr and ht4u for instance have the 7970GE ahead by about ~5% against non-OC 770).
Though saying "easily beats another card" even though the performance difference is pretty small (and individual titles going from -20% - +20% hence it's obvious a different selection can yield a different result) is all TPU's own fault :).

Any cards released or announced with the reference blower cooler? My uATX chassis isn't really equipped for a SLI setup dumping 500W of heat into that tiny space... Only card I've seen was one 3rd party-designed blower that seems very restrictive in airflow to the fan, which would be really bad in a box like mine where there's no spare card slots between the boards.

The only one i have heard is Inno3D ( responded by Nvidia who have said they will use the reference design ) , but yet again, the first card they have send to reviewer use their own cooler.

Apart from benchmark selection they still test with two ridiculously low resolutions (well ridiculous for high-end gpus), I don't think anyone else includes such numbers. If you toss those out it would also be nearly a draw there. Though that would still leave about a ~7% difference to some other reviews (hardware.fr and ht4u for instance have the 7970GE ahead by about ~5% against non-OC 770).
Though saying "easily beats another card" even though the performance difference is pretty small (and individual titles going from -20% - +20% hence it's obvious a different selection can yield a different result) is all TPU's own fault :).

When i have read this review, i was ask me what he have smoke .. i had the feeling in this conclusion he was or "ironic" or was take this " few % lead " for a +30% ,., But i was maybe not in the good mood.

Note, there are the only one who have sucess to get lower TDP with the 770 vs the 680.. any review i have see put a 20W difference when gaming. and them not..

They consitently 6 to 10W inferior at the 680, when all other sites push 20W min higher.

Peak:

max:

Anandtech

So I guess all those people saying there's no way the 770 will be both faster and cheaper than the 680 were wrong. Hmm how 'bout that.

I'm sure everybody realised that the same chip with higher clocks will be faster. The point of contention was that same chip with the Titan cooler and 4GB VRAM at $399, which obviously was never going to happen.

I'm not sure I recall very many mentions of a Titan cooler being part of the equation (nor am I sure why it matters what type of cooler is used if the performance, temperature and noise are all at the right levels). 4GB I'll grant but then from what I'm hearing it will add around $40 to the overall cost, so still well below the cost of a 680.

The initial VRZone(?) leak was the supposedly updated chip (which turned out to be the 680 with a new boost), 4GB VRAM and Titan cooler for $399. As usual I got pelters for telling you there was not a chance in hell of Nvidia doing that. They did hit the $399 price point and 1 out of 3 ain't bad though, for Nvidia.

Don't forget they also dropped the Metro game bundle with the 770 btw.

The initial VRZone(?) leak was the supposedly updated chip (which turned out to be the 680 with a new boost)
Could still be a "new", as in slightly modified chip - those GDDR5 memory controllers go up well past 8GHz datarates on air cooling. That's rather significant, but could also perhaps simply be a sign of a matured manufacturing process... *shrug* Undoubtedly, NV won't fill in the exact details as they're company secrets. :)

Don't want it, and don't need it. I'm happy with that. I hate having to pay for bundled games I've no wish for, or may own already.

Nothing you can do about it Dave

I think you are not right.

People expect big things from them, but they somehow always manage to screw things up and go in the unexpected direction. If the BullShit(N)'s rumour about luck of GDDR5 in Kaveri is true, then there is no hope for them, and they Do deserve their destiny

The initial VRZone(?) leak was the supposedly updated chip (which turned out to be the 680 with a new boost), 4GB VRAM and Titan cooler for $399. As usual I got pelters for telling you there was not a chance in hell of Nvidia doing that. They did hit the $399 price point and 1 out of 3 ain't bad though, for Nvidia.

I don't know for sure that it was you but I certainly remember statements along the lines of "there's no way NV will release a GPU both faster and cheaper than the 680".

Doh!

Could still be a "new", as in slightly modified chip - those GDDR5 memory controllers go up well past 8GHz datarates on air cooling. That's rather significant

That is true. Also note that GTX 770 has lower voltage at it's specified operating frequency than GTX 680 does at the same operating frequency. So technically the GTX 770 is not a GTX 680 with boosted speeds and a new BIOS, but rather is a refinement to the GTX 680.

lower voltage ? I dont know where you have see lower voltage ..

Anandtech and other site report 1.2V vs 1.1175 for the 680 .. not lower http://www.anandtech.com/show/6994/nvidia-geforce-gtx-770-review/16

And all are explain the same things, due to this little overvoltage when overclocking you are "less" limited.

ABout the GDDR5 chips, they are obviously not the same chips, or the same but with different settings, they have higher latency timing.

lower voltage ? I dont know where you have see lower voltage ..
I think ams was noting clock-for-clock
That is true. Also note that GTX 770 has lower voltage at it's specified operating frequency than GTX 680 does at the same operating frequency. So technically the GTX 770 is not a GTX 680 with boosted speeds and a new BIOS, but rather is a refinement to the GTX 680.
From TPU's GTX 680 and GTX 770 reviews there seems to be a slight lowering of 3D load voltage between the two.
VfLaWHK.jpg

Back