NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

Is the reference model the Phantom Edition? Any up for sale?
Expensive cooler for good reviews and set on a too low MSRP for anyone to make money on selling them. Instead the board partners will sell (cheaper) nonref coolers at a higher price.

(When AMD launched the 7970GE I really wondered why they didn't pull the same trick, instead of sending a card with crap reference cooler to reviews, while telling that it wouldn't matter as it wouldn't be sold with that cooler anyway).

Yup Nvidia hits a new low, but what do you expect when they get away with everything they've pulled over the past few years?

Is the reference model the Phantom Edition? Any up for sale?
We've asked the same question:
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Gefor.../Tests/Geforce-GTX-770-Test-Review-1071496/2/

Answer:
Strictly speaking we don't have a reference design for 770 so it is up to the AICs – for example Inno3D have decided to use this design and EVGA are currently evaluating it but I think you'll see lots of different designs from the AICs.

GTX 770 went straight to being a 'virtual' part in that AICs purchase GPUs and memory kits and make the board themselves. Of course, they have access to our reference design and some, like Inno3D, have chosen to make this their design but many have picked their own coolers for differentiation.

Yup Nvidia hits a new low, but what do you expect when they get away with everything they've pulled over the past few years?
If a $400, cheaper, faster, and better looking than GTX680 model is the lowest they've ever been, this must be one sublime company! :LOL:

If a $400, cheaper, faster, and better looking than GTX680 model is the lowest they've ever been, this must be one sublime company! :LOL:

But why not not-sell it at $200 instead of $400 then?

We've asked the same question:

Was almost expecting those inconvenient questions from you :)
Now lets see if the inno3d card materializes in shops - I see they also got a nonref version http://www.techpowerup.com/184689/inno3d-geforce-gtx-770-redefines-fast.html

Last edited by a moderator:
But why not not-sell it at $200 instead of $400 then?
That, my friend, will forever remain a puzzle of a magnitude that only the greatest marketing minds will ever be able to resolve.

I was joking, of course: after daring to release a mid-end GPU as a high-end SKU, after all the renaming badness, the scandal last week of pricing something at $650, and, let's never forget, the 3Dmark cheating scandal of 10 years ago, pricing a high-end card that's in every way better than its top-end predecessor at $400 is truly like staring into the eye of evil!

gtx770 looks ok, though it's difficult to get excited about (as it's mostly just the same as gtx680 with a bit higher clocks). At least by pushing the chip closer to its limits energy efficiency didn't really suffer all that much (if at all), power consumption increase roughly corresponds with performance increase.
I'm a bit surprised though the average performance increase is only around ~6% for 17% memory and minimum 4% core clock increase, I'd have expected something closer to ~10% on average. Maybe GTX680 wasn't that memory limited after all... Seeing 8Ghz memory clocks though with OC is quite amazing indeed, I've never seen any plans to push gddr5 past 7gbps officially.
Back to gk208 though is there anything different at all compared to gk1xx? Ok it might have the compute features of gk110, but anything else?

Think you're missing the point that the $400 versions won't have the Titan cooler and will inevitably be slower than reviewed because of this.

Think you're missing the point that the $400 versions won't have the Titan cooler and will inevitably be slower than reviewed because of this.

I wasn't aware that there were different pricings issued for Titan-wannabees and partner-OC-boards.

At least by pushing the chip closer to its limits energy efficiency didn't really suffer all that much (if at all), power consumption increase roughly corresponds with performance increase.
I'm a bit surprised though the average performance increase is only around ~6% for 17% memory and minimum 4% core clock increase, I'd have expected something closer to ~10% on average.

That's the thing, they've got a tiny increase over the 680 by upping the voltage and getting better boost clocks out of the Titan cooler. The memory upgrade appears to have done nothing.

I guess we'll see, the only inno3d one i've seen listed is £30 more expensive than the others.
Ah, to "we will see" I can agree for certain. Here in germany, we seem to have preliminary listing for the inno3D model at 399 EUR - right in the middle of the pack.

Yep it's about the middle of the pack in the UK as well, £329 seems to be the standard entry point going up to £385 for the Lightning and the inno3d one is £359.

I can't speak for the $399 GTX 770 variants, but the slightly above $399 GTX 770 variants will have better performance than the reference GTX 770 w/ Titan cooler, including nearly 10% better Maximum Overclocking Performance. See $420 Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II 25x16 resolution Performance Summary results here: http://tpucdn.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_770_Direct_Cu_II_OC/images/perfrel_2560.gif , $425 Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 25x16 resolution Performance Summary results here: http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GeForce_GTX_770_WindForce_OC/images/perfrel_2560.gif , and Maximum Overclock Comparison chart here: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_770/30.html

Last edited by a moderator:

No. The Titan cooler still isn't as good as the WF3X, TFIV, and DC2 at overall temps. It's best blower cooler but still can't keep up with good open air coolers. The ones I listed above will still cool the GPU better in a case that has any sort of half way not terrible airflow. K thx.

EDIT: Every single GTX770 listed has higher boost clocks than the reference 770. But still somehow slower!(*!#&!~!~#$%%^^????

Back