NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

I just don't get why some Nvidia fanboys (not pointing any fingers at anyone here but just saying in general) fall for the same pricing bullshit time and time again. It's like every single release the same fantasy of cheap cards arises only for there to be disappointment when Nvidia actually raises the price instead. How many times before there is a realisation that this is what Nvidia is all about? The 8800 GT was a mistake they haven't made since.

It is, and it sucks. Also consider that the gtx780 is (as of right now) the second tier geforce SKU for GK110. The second tier GF100 and GF110 sku went for $350. I think Nvidia is missing a major opportunity to do some serious volume. If they would price the gtx770 at $399 and the gtx780 at $549-599 they'd move some serious product.

You have to consider the total market. If the 770 and 780 were those prices, what prices would the 660 Ti have to drop to for example?

Then you have to ask what AMD would be forced to do to compete. Pitcairn is 20% smaller than Barts - remember how cheap you could pick up 6870's and 6850's just over a year ago? What happens if AMD starts flogging 7870's and 7850's at the same price again? All of a sudden both companies are back in a price war that is just losing them a barrowload of money.

It is, and it sucks. Also consider that the gtx780 is (as of right now) the second tier geforce SKU for GK110. The second tier GF100 and GF110 sku went for $350. I think Nvidia is missing a major opportunity to do some serious volume. If they would price the gtx770 at $399 and the gtx780 at $549-599 they'd move some serious product. Oh well. If Maxwell leads out with GM104, like
GK104 did with Kepler, I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that $649+ isn't the new high otherwise my days as a pc gamer may be soon over.

Perhaps in this case there is no competitor..?

All of a sudden both companies are back in a price war that is just losing them a barrowload of money

If you ask me, it has never been about the money. It is about something else above it.

Because it is quite clear that the market and the interest in it is shrinking. Without aggressive stimulation by significantly lowering the prices and thus increasing the growth, it will continue to shrink. And it is like a sspiral of death- the smaller the market- the ever rising sky rocketing prices. Which will inevitably refuse a lot of people from upgrading, or they will do it ever more rarely.

So- low prices- large volumes. They will lose nothing but their arrogance and thinking their actions are perfect and don't need to improve.

I wanna see from them- see- we offer the GTX 780 which is 20% faster than Radeon 7970 GE for the same price- 400$. In this case and only then, you will have a clear competetive advantage. When you price your products depending on their performance, people pay for the increase in FPS, but there is no a winner

Both companies are feeling the effects of the APUs. The high volume low-end chips are dying out. The costs for R&D have remained unchanged.

And what's the big difference to ordinary (included from server2008) RemoteFX, which also support gpu accelaration on the host side over RDP? (and works just fine, given the limitations of transfering the on-screen image data over the net)

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps in this case there is no competitor..?

In fact there's way too much and too strong competition in the SFF mobile market for NVIDIA. And no it's not irrelevant in the grander scheme of things.

I'm such a sucker... I guess my price threshold wasn't as high as I thought because I ordered an EVGA Superclocked 780 as soon as I found out it supports 4k. Time to water cool that bad boy and see how far I can push it :D

GPCs (and thus, Raster Engines) 4 or 5 depending on your luck - how much does that affect the possible performance?

I'm such a sucker... I guess my price threshold wasn't as high as I thought because I ordered an EVGA Superclocked 780 as soon as I found out it supports 4k. Time to water cool that bad boy and see how far I can push it :D
4K? That wasn't your only deciding factor I assume? (i.e. GPU's have supported it for the past year and a half...).

4K? That wasn't your only deciding factor I assume? (i.e. GPU's have supported it for the past year and a half...).

Some people are happy to wait 18 months for only 20% faster, so long as it has the Nvidia badge on it at the end.

And people wonder why AMD struggles to make money? It's this sort of behaviour that is the reason. Nothing you can do about it Dave.

But it is exactly 37% faster on average at 2560 X 1600. So, I think it was worth it to wait every single second :LOL:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GeForce_GTX_780_OC/26.html

Look at the reference results - 22% faster.

You can get a Gigabyte 7970 with 1100 MHz core for $450 btw (and 4 free games) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125439

So now we're back to 20-25% faster for $200 more and what, 3 free games less (does it even come with Metro?).

Back