Just Cause 2

Yay!

I scored an interview with George Wright (Associate Producer, Avalanche Studios) and should be conducted it tomorrow. Is there anything you guys would like me to ask him in regards to the game? Curious design decisions? Technical aspects? Gameplay?

I want to ask, Is the voice acting in this game intentionally made like it is or what ? :LOL:
Cause the dialogues by the cops are so hilariously stupid sounding that I fell off my chair the first time I heard it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay!

I scored an interview with George Wright (Associate Producer, Avalanche Studios) and should be conducted it tomorrow. Is there anything you guys would like me to ask him in regards to the game? Curious design decisions? Technical aspects? Gameplay?
Please ask him what he thinks of Gibbed's work and our (G&H/BOLOPatch)'s work.

Would they consider an OpenCL or DC version of their CUDA effects in a later patch?

Do you think Humus should get a raise?

Tried the demo. After an hour and a half playing it bought on Steam. Looking forward to sorting the FOV, but besides that and waiting for my slow 300K/s download I'm very happy.

The graphics are great. Good job Humus and Co.

Yay!

The voice acting for sure. It's so bad.

Also the decision to go DX10 only. It makes perfect sense to me so I'd like to know if there was much debate about that on their part.

PC vs console wrt sales. How has the PC version faired so far?

And make sure to mention the great work Humus has done responding (very quickly I might add) to community requests. It's amazing how rare that is these days.

The V-Sync was pretty annoying going from 60 fps to 30 fps all the time. There isn't enough screen tearing to me want it at all in the first place. The game looks good though. Got it running maxed out with 2x AA. It's got that Uncharted look with the very colorful art assets that are a bit on the cartoony side without really appearing so.

Is there a way to alter the speed of the day/night cycle, so I could slow it down a bit?

I think the speed of it changes during the game anyway. I was showing the game off to my partner while flying across from one side of the map to the other. It was just before dawn when we set off in a little plane, and flying a direct 22km to our destination it went through a full day and became night-time again. Never seen such a short day in Panau. Not sure if the fact that we got the plane from a race mission might have had something to do with it, maybe time is faster during those?

Is there a way to alter the speed of the day/night cycle, so I could slow it down a bit?

I think the speed of it changes during the game anyway. I was showing the game off to my partner while flying across from one side of the map to the other. It was just before dawn when we set off in a little plane, and flying a direct 22km to our destination it went through a full day and became night-time again. Never seen such a short day in Panau. Not sure if the fact that we got the plane from a race mission might have had something to do with it, maybe time is faster during those?
Maybe it is dynamic, when you are on missions, the time goes slower and when you are just mucking about, it goes faster. Humus to the rescue?

The V-Sync was pretty annoying going from 60 fps to 30 fps all the time. There isn't enough screen tearing to me want it at all in the first place. The game looks good though. Got it running maxed out with 2x AA. It's got that Uncharted look with the very colorful art assets that are a bit on the cartoony side without really appearing so.

D3DOverrider will "fix" this.

The next BOLO patch is going to come with options to mess about with the TOD.

Anyone tried the "infinite" grapple mod? Its a lot of fun especially when you combine it with the parachute, you end up travelling round the map faster than a plane can.

Video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-xqbatcaUk

Mod here:

http://www.filesavr.com/grapplerange_5

Oh and now you can spawn any vehicle you want from the black market, mod here:

http://sites.google.com/site/maxovitsj/files/blackmarket.bin

optional picture pack here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?njnmvnhmqyz

To install any mods just simply create a folder called dropzone in your Just Cause 2 directory and place all the files there. Couldn't be more simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Infinite grapple? I'm in heaven! :D

Thanks for posting up all the great mods Brain Stew, please keep it up. I was poking around for some last night and had no luck, your posts are very much appreciated. :)

I don't know where to start with this comment, so I'll just begin...

In between bouts of extreme fun, I'm wandering about the environment soaking it all in asking myself how on earth they did it.

The first thing that struck me was the art and the cohesiveness of everything on screen. Nothing seems out of place unless you get extremely picky. In Just Cause 2 my monitor feels bigger somehow. It's very bizarre. Makes it feel like all my other games have borders (a la zx spectrum). It's an odd feeling to have but it's there all the same - doesn't matter if the FOV is changed, effect of a minimal HUD maybe? I don't know, would be nice to hear if other's experience the same and have a better reason for it.

The next thing that strikes me is the lack of hitching.. anywhere... at all. I don't get it. Why do I get all this stuff on a gargantuan map and there's not even a hint of a pause? That's some very cool data management. Whoever is responsible for solving that annoyance deserves a great deal of praise. I hope that other open world / large level games sort this as well.

I could go on, but I won't. I reckon that the word awesome is overused, but in this case, it's valid. This game, is awesome. Good job.

My feelings exactly. If ever there was an engine for TES5....

---

Bugs:

- The game starts up with a full-screen sized window. Full screen is on in the options. Hitting alt-enter twice fixes it.

- Mouse buttons > 3 aren't bindable. Same with Enter, which really sucks, as it's mah reload buttn!

So far I've had three crashes on exit, and one CTD while para-climbing. I have the memdumps if anyone's interested. Beyond that, it's been butter smooth and bug free.

Glad påsk, Humus. :)

- Mouse buttons > 3 aren't bindable. Same with Enter, which really sucks, as it's mah reload buttn!
Not disagreeing with you exactly, but I spent a bit of time and got my Revo set up just peachy with Just Cause 2. Enter, escape, evade, hand brake, fire1, fire2, zoom all bound fine. :)

Finished the main storyline on normal in 27 hrs according to Steam. Not a bad length for a single player campaign.

I drove 200 km and finished 30-something percent of the game.

Riveting stuff. I might actually go achievement hunting on this one.

Wut, I never got to shag Bolo Santosi? The only reason I sat through those endless god awful Singlish monologues of hers was to end up her able bodied comrade. What a disappointment.

The next thing that strikes me is the lack of hitching.. anywhere... at all. I don't get it. Why do I get all this stuff on a gargantuan map and there's not even a hint of a pause? That's some very cool data management. Whoever is responsible for solving that annoyance deserves a great deal of praise. I hope that other open world / large level games sort this as well.

Did you expect anything less from Humus? :cool:

You're right though, they've done such a fantastic job with the engine, stuff like UE3 produces hitching in tiny environments but in Just Cause 2 you can literally travel for miles without any issues at all. The dynamic day-night cycle is just about the best I've seen, the performance of the engine is fantastic and it scales incredibly well across a very wide range of hardware.

Its a little shame Avalanche aren't open to licensing it out really, as it would be a huge step up from most game engines employed today.

Back