Just Cause 2

BTW here is the bolo mod at work:

xy5y0.png

4ptrew.png

dvkebd.png

Okay am I seeing things or does Double Buffer indeed causes all the FPS drops I ever get in this game, contrary to what Humus said about DB not being the problem..? seriously with V sync off my FPS will fly off the chart...but with V sync enabled I'll get those irritating half second drops to 30FPS & then a jump to 60FPS again...its so annoying.

Yes, V-Sync is clearly a problem in Just Cause 2. I tried the dxbuffer command line to force Tripple buffering but it didn't change much. Turning V-Sync Off is the only solution now.

The dxbuffer command doesn't do anything for me either. Just use D3DOverrider and it's smooth sailing.

I'm actually noticing this same framerate issue too. It's most obvious to me when driving -- you can instantly see the "smoothness" hit a brick wall when it drops from 60 to 30, but then a second or so later jumps right back to 60. I used FRAPS to double-check my sanity, and then tried various flavors of the dxbuffer command with no luck.

I ended up going to download D3DOverrider per the suggestions in this thread, and the performance increase is indeed quite visible. I decided to go this route versus hard-capping the framerate to 30 "just to see", and so far I prefer the D3DOverride method.

EDIT:
Don't get me wrong, the game is still fantastic. Just a bit of a niggle overall for me; I have two separate ways to fix this now so I don't consider it any sort of show-stopper. I'm having an absolute BLAST with this game otherwise :D

The dxbuffer command doesn't do anything for me either. Just use D3DOverrider and it's smooth sailing.

Yup,just tried D3Overrider and everything is butter smooth now with everything maxed out! w00t! Maybe Humus should try to look at what's going there. Lot's of user will think that the game has serious performance issues when in fact it's a V-Sync/buffering problem.

I used ATI Tray Tools to force Triple Buffer & V-sync..and for some reason my performence is worse than before the avg FPS is 45 something. I'll uninstall this thing.

EDIT: Oh my God, everytime I play this game I die a little due to laughing a bit too much, ie. whenever I hear the police radio alert. :LOL: Did Avalanche purposely made them this funny or was it some sort of by-product of using in-experienced & poor voice actors ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your average will be lower because your cap will be lower. Vsync will max at 60hz or whatever your display is running at. Vsync + tb isn't for winning the fps trophy, it is for getting rid of tearing and smoothing out fps jumps.

Your average will be lower because your cap will be lower. Vsync will max at 60hz or whatever your display is running at. Vsync + tb isn't for winning the fps trophy, it is for getting rid of tearing and smoothing out fps jumps.
uh I know that. :devilish:
What I wanna say is after I did that, my FPS started hovering around mid 40s while before it rarely even went below 55 with v-lock off.

Ok I'll bite, why do you have a monitor strictly for audio

To transmit audio over hdmi (for any video or sound card), video (in a standard HD resolution like 1080p/1080i/720p/etc) also needs to be transmitted.

Humus said:
By default the game will choose a Cuda capable adapter if it finds any. For special systems like yours there's a commandline option to override:

/dxadapter=<adapter index>

Thanks, worked perfectly!

Yo Humus, I'm reposting this issue from a friend over at GAF who's having issue playing the game with his preferred kb+m setup (esdf):

GAF said:
This is an unfortunate oversight for a small minority of gamers out there. Unlike most keyboard+mouse players out there who use a WASD setup for their movement, I have for years used a ESDF setup. I do this as it gives me (IMO) more freedom to the left of my fingers for extra bound keys (QAZ) as well as the handy reference nub that my index finger feels on the F key so that I can easily find my position when quickly moving around the keyboard.

However, in using this setup I constantly find myself accidentally picking up weapons I don't want when I press my E key (Forward) as that is the perma-bound key in JC2 for picking up weapons (Hold E or tap E as you see in game).

It's highly annoying and really is my only gripe on a wonderful game. Why not allow the user to rebind this action?

I can't find any settings anywhere in any config files to allow myself to do this.

Please help!

I realise you're not on the project anymore but if you know of any easy tweaks to overcome this or if you could pass the word onto whoever's in charge of patching the PC version I'm sure it'll be appreciated. Its an easy oversight but probably something that's easily fixed so worth mentioning, thanks for all the great support so far!

Doh, I wonder if there's similar issues with RDFG setup? Although it'll be a few months until I get the time to even think about buying and playing this. I need to retire already so I have time to play games. :D

Regards,
SB

I turned down my AA to 2*MSAA & saw a whooping increase in performance...butter smooth 60FPS with everything at Max with V Sync [no judders to 30FPS now] while the IQ loss due to lower amount of AA is negligible to my eyes.

As for the game...this has to be the most fun & proper "game" I've played in year, it shows how good sacrificing realism in favor of fun elements works...if its done the right way :) .If I had to nitpick then I'd complain about the car handling it feels very boxy,doesn't seems to turn fast enough in high speed & once you go offroad..its a nightmare :|

Well I'd like to say a big thank you to Humus and his team, the game is incredibly fun and the PC engine they've created is really something special. So flexible, so scalable and so well optimised, its definitely one of the best PC conversions I've played.

One small thing, is there any way to force a custom refresh rate?

Just came back from a holiday and I can't wait for the Steam download to finish!

The black market prices kind of let this game down, things are too expensive, especially the limited edition DLC content, having to pay 125, 000 for the hovercraft which can be blown up minutes later isn't fun, it would be nicer if you only had to buy each item once.

Also there's no way to get more ammo for the DLC guns so once you run out you have to pay for a whole new gun, money doesn't last all that long if you want to use the DLC items much.

It would be nice if they added ammo crates to the black market for a lot less money than the guns.

The black market prices kind of let this game down, things are too expensive, especially the limited edition DLC content, having to pay 125, 000 for the hovercraft which can be blown up minutes later isn't fun, it would be nicer if you only had to buy each item once.

Also there's no way to get more ammo for the DLC guns so once you run out you have to pay for a whole new gun, money doesn't last all that long if you want to use the DLC items much.

It would be nice if they added ammo crates to the black market for a lot less money than the guns.

There's a mod to make the black market stuff free here:

http://mod.gib.me/justcause2/retail/gibbed_blackmarket_free.zip

Also, if you want the upgrades for free, there's this as well:

http://mod.gib.me/justcause2/retail/gibbed_blackmarket_unlocked_and_free.zip

Then there's BOLO patch which you can use to get some free cash.

Another annoyance is if you 100% clear an air port planes no longer take off from there, meaning you lose access to some planes such as the huge cargo plane.

Back