Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

Hopefully it'll evolve to a point where I can rip BR movies, put in a big HDD into the PS3 and move the files onto there for playback. That'd rock.

I can't imagine games that cache to the HDD or that have a mandatory install performing very well using this method. Unless that is already accounted for in debug units and games are coded (as required by some TRC) to detect this and not try to do their partial install when already fully installed on a debug unit.

Hopefully it'll evolve to a point where I can rip BR movies, put in a big HDD into the PS3 and move the files onto there for playback. That'd rock.

Hopefully it will force Sony to address the locked game save problem. Otherwise, even legit users may go for it. :)

At a $170 no less.. yikes. They better have a fortune because Sony will be suing their asses to orbit :LOL:

Anyway, not sure if this was posted but yeah, this is legit, but it's just not a hack:

http://www.nextgenupdate.com/forums...station-3-jailbreak-ps3-consoles-arrives.html

The retailers should be safe. Who knows, part of the $170 may be to payoff the leaker. :devilish:
He/she's the one taking the big risk. May be more than one person too.

I wonder if Geohot knew about this when he bailed. He may have been approached before.

EDIT: Btw, there should be a 500Gb limit for PS3 HDD. Ripping Blu-ray to HDD may take a l-o-n-g time. I suspect people may download digital copies instead.

EDIT: Btw, there should be a 500Gb limit for PS3 HDD. Ripping Blu-ray to HDD may take a l-o-n-g time. I suspect people may download digital copies instead.

Internal HDD limit? Nope, just days after 1st PS3 reached stores in Japan some Korean dudes attached 1TB 3.5" drive to PS3 [with cables spilling out outside].

edit - http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/catalog/Xecuter-HDXT-PS3-Hard-Drive-Xtender-p-2593.html
edit2 - http://gadgets.softpedia.com/news/Add-2TB-of-Storage-to-Your-PS3-Via-SATA-1094-01.html

Yes, you could do it initially. After a certain firmware update, the HDD size was capped at 500Gb. It wouldn't boot with a bigger one.

There have been rumors about the lifted cap, but I have not tried it myself.

That's why I stayed at 500Gb for my PS3. :)

EDIT: I'm referring to the built-in HDD though. May be the USB connected HDD can be bigger, but I have not tried it personally.

Uh ripping is likely to take shorter then downloading so many Gigs of the internet unless you live in a country with a fat pipe. However this hack while legit feels kinda cheap. They really didn't hack it just someone sold out Sony. That someone better disappear if they don't want to be sued into oblivion. The unfortunate side effect as all people with access are going to be pup on a very tight leash for a while.

Perhaps, but there are ways to speed up copying compared to ripping (e.g., friends sharing over a LAN, prepacked on HDD).

In any case, we will probably get a new firmware soon.

Assuming that wherever the files are stored can sustain 4Mbps UPSTREAM for 24 hours. :p

torrent.png

I wonder what the ISPs will say. Time for rate hike to save their pipes. :p

FCC can't control their business policies now right ?

really didn't hack it just someone sold out Sony. That someone better disappear if they don't want to be sued into oblivion.
Sued? Considering that the chips came from HK and probably made in China, I'd say there will be far more effective ways to deal with them...maybe a stranglehold DLC addon to simulate it :)

I'm beginning to think the traditional model of making a profit on consoles is not feasible anymore. The ps3 has cost Sony billions and now this hack looks like it will make piracy incredibly easy, and I assume there will be a free method available at some point.

I think it needs a special USB dongle. You have to buy it specially. Won't be free.

Sued? Considering that the chips came from HK and probably made in China, I'd say there will be far more effective ways to deal with them...maybe a stranglehold DLC addon to simulate it :)

About a month or two ago, someone's Chinese partner ran away with hundreds of millions of company $$$ in RMB. People thought he would go underground but, he "bought" the entire police department in the city, and stayed put. They still haven't been able to file a case against him, since it kept getting dismissed. Friends are going up one more level, and see if they can nail him. >_<

It can be difficult to catch someone in that part of the world.

I wasn't talking about the people making the stuff. I know that's incredibly hard to track down. I'm talking about whoever leaked in the internal info to allow them to make it as that appears to be what happened here. By far the most effective strategy to combat this is not going after the makers as sellers but plugging the leak and updating the firmware.

I see. It's also possible that no one leaked intentionally.

Someone might have "intruded" into Sony's sensitive machines (hopefully they are not online. :)).

Back