NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

Source ?

And if true, are they faster by 20-25% as well in the majority of titles ?

He should give us the real prices. Because this is a statement like "nVidia uses the shaders for DX11 Tessellation"...
25% more mean $370 (5850) and $500 (5870) or $500 (5870) and $750 (5970)...

Let's list them...

- Batman: AA (with crap fps with PhysX On)
- Nothing else worth mentioneing
I personally enjoyed Mirror's Edge , Batman , and Cryostasis with enabled PhysX , they were fun to play that way .

I also know that GRAW1 /GRAW 2 have advanced PhysX effects , but I never had the chance to play them .

There are many other titles that use PhysX , Dark Void , Sacred 2 , Darkest Of Days , as well as some games prior to the acquisition of Aegia ,but I think that these are all average games .

Not to mention two newly announced games : Metro 2033 , and U-Wars.

However , I don't think that all of these games matter to the average mainstream user , I think that PhysX matter only to those enthusiasts that love to have maximum available visual quality .

Source ?

And if true, are they faster by 20-25% as well in the majority of titles ?

source=ME

20% seems like a safe bet against Cypresss Pro/XT.

And why should I give real prices, like MSRP has anything to do with whatever you will pay in a couple of months?

Someone has made a comparison video showing HD5970 vs GTX 480 performance in Heaven Unigine DX11 benchmark , specifically in the area of the tessellated dragon , using 1920X1080 0XAA 1XAF :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvvQAQU7Sjg
(HD5970 starts at around 2:40)

HD5970 : around 30 FPS
no94t5.jpg

GTX 480 : around 40 FPS

id956b.jpg

You mean up to 2 times ! more accurately less than 2 times ..

No I mean 3 times. Check 1:18 on the video and compare it to 4:28. The 480 is stuck at 24fps going through the grass while the 5970 starts at 59 fps and finishes at 83fps. If the average framerate was shown here the 5970 would probably be close to twice as high over the whole benchmark, even with the loss on tesselation.

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean up to 2 times ! more accurately less than 2 times ..

Lol,

in the scene were Tom is talking about how Tessellation gives us better textures, the GTX480 does 24 FPS, the 5970 does over 60 fps.

I wonder how they're going to explain that once reviewers are doing a FPS/$ comparison

No I mean 3 times. Check 1:18 on the video and compare it to 4:28. The 480 is stuck at 24fps going through the grass while the 5970 starts at 59 fps and finishes at 83fps. If the average framerate was shown here the 5970 would probably be close to twice as high.

You need to see a better quality video , at 1:18 GTX 480 scores 45 FPS , there is another counter that shows 25 FPS , this is a FRAPS counter recording the video from Youtube at 24/25 FPS .

I suggest you see the original Nvidia video here :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0bJX2Np9eU&feature=related

Lol,

in the scene were Tom is talking about how Tessellation gives us better textures, the GTX480 does 24 FPS, the 5970 does 60 fps.

I wonder how they're going to explain that once reviewers are doing a FPS/$ comparison
Please be aware of the presence of another FRAPS counter , the poster of the video used fraps to record the original GTX 480 video from youtube , that is why the counter is fixed at 24/25 FPS , see my previous post for clarification or .. focus on the video to see the second counter ..

My answer to you comes in the form of another question: And do you really think that if these performance rumors are true, that NVIDIA will launch the overall slower GTX 470, more expensive than the HD 5870 ?

You know, common sense is free...If the performance rumors are real, then there's no way that the GTX 470 will be more expensive than the HD 5870.

Whilst I'm in no way expecting the GTX 470 to launch north of $600, if the rumours of only 5000 units being available at launch are true, why sell them all off at less than $400, when Nvidia know that they're going to sell out no matter how high they price them (well so long as they don't start charging $1000!)? That follows common sense as well, surely?

He should give us the real prices. Because this is a statement like "nVidia uses the shaders for DX11 Tessellation"...
25% more mean $370 (5850) and $500 (5870) or $500 (5870) and $750 (5970)...

Since Dx11 games remain low in number, I *strongly* doubt 480 will be able to command a premium over 5970.
The former scenario looks more reasonable.

Check 1:18 on the video and compare it to 4:28.
Ah yes, nice observation of the grass scene. The GTX480 starts at 44fps and finishes at 72fps at the windmill. The HD5970 starts at 59fps and finishes at 112fps at the windmill.

But the Ati cards take a dive with the tessellation & wireframe. GF100 is just a beast with tessellation... funny considering all the crap that was talked about it having "dedicated tessellation hardware"...

eheh.

Ah yes, nice observation of the grass scene. The GTX480 starts at 44fps and finishes at 72fps at the windmill. The HD5970 starts at 59fps and finishes at 112fps at the windmill.

But the Ati cards take a dive with the tessellation & wireframe. GF100 is just a beast with tessellation... funny considering all the crap that was talked about it having "dedicated tessellation hardware"...

eheh.

GF100 has 16x "dedicated tessellation hardware".
It went from "Software Tessellation over Cuda" to "16x dedicated Tessellation units". :LOL:

Wow, that's a lot of debate on this benchmark. Heaven must be a very popular game ;) (tee hee)

Still like 2.5 weeks of this, right?

Whilst I'm in no way expecting the GTX 470 to launch north of $600, if the rumours of only 5000 units being available at launch are true, why sell them all off at less than $400, when Nvidia know that they're going to sell out no matter how high they price them (well so long as they don't start charging $1000!)? That follows common sense as well, surely?

Not really, no. That's what happened in the GTX 260 vs HD 4870 (albeit not in such limited quantities) and the GTX 2xx series was launched before the HD 4000s. They had to adjust their prices soon after the HD 4000s were released.

With Fermi based GTX 400s, they are launching much later than the products they are trying to compete with. They can't charge more for it, especially when the performance isn't there (if these numbers end up being true).

Back