Best graphics in 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saying U2 or KZ2 (or any game) is best looking is an opinion, but let's just say it is the most popular opinion.
Apparently not by those who actually buy games.

Regarding the resolution issue, Carmack called it back before this gen got started, by saying it was stupid to mandate a rendering resolution. He said devs could make better looking games if they weren't forced to use an arbitrary resolution. So I'm not at all surprised that people think MW2 is one of the best looking games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saying U2 or KZ2 (or any game) is best looking is an opinion, but let's just say it is the most popular opinion. The only thing that people seem to say about MW2, to base their "best looking game" opinion on, is that it's 60fps vs U2 and KZ2's 30fps. IMO, that's a weak reason when it's the only reason used to bestow such a title on. If using only that criteria, MLB 09: The Show should probably be the winner.

Having recently played all three: KZ2, U2, MW2 -- and being new to both the 360 (1 yr exactly) and PS3 (1 month) I have to say that I think MW2 is my pick for the best looking game of 2009. What I like most about it can't even be attributed to pure technical superiority. It's the style.

I love their mo-cap work. The characters move so fluidly and convincingly real -- it's apparent they hired mocap actors who knew close-quarters combat. I thought the hardware was all convincingly rendered -- having lived on a C-130 Air Force training base when serving in the Army (long story), seeing the Hercules fly overhead dropping flares in that one late mission, or even flying aboard the AC130 in that over-simplified spec-ops mission -- the sounds and graphics were just that much more appealing to me than any other game.

Of course, my own nostalgic memories influence my opinion... but I just have a stronger reaction to the visuals in MW2.

Apparently not by those who actually buy games.

meh...both KZ2 and UC2 were only available on the lowest-installed-base platform. They never had a chance at being top sellers. Personally I liked MW2, but I don't think it's even close to KZ2 for visual presentation. Yes, it's quite a bit more colorful, but KZ2 had much better visuals IMHO. Compare the outdoor dessert levels of each and it's no comparison.

I think MW2 is a great looking game. I dont think it's quite as good looking as KZ2, but there's the whole 60 vs 30 FPS thing.

A few console games with top tier graphics this year:

MW2
Uncharted 2
Killzone 2
Assassins Creed 2
FF13 (Japan)
Dirt 2 (amazing looking game, gets overlooked against the Forza's and GT's)
Resident Evil 5

oooooo so in this thread Ican really say what i think about mw2 without a warning? cool
No, because the title is "Best graphics of 2009" and not "bitch about games that disappointed you." Rather than wasting your breath and our reading time with how bad you thought a game looked, say what game you did like and why.

No, because the title is "Best graphics of 2009" and not "bitch about games that disappointed you." Rather than wasting your breath and our reading time with how bad you thought a game looked, say what game you did like and why.

Damn...................... :cry:

I already said U2 and Killzone 2. I'd like to add Demon's Souls into the mix. Great atmosphere in that game and the bosses are pretty interesting as well

meh...both KZ2 and UC2 were only available on the lowest-installed-base platform. They never had a chance at being top sellers. Personally I liked MW2, but I don't think it's even close to KZ2 for visual presentation. Yes, it's quite a bit more colorful, but KZ2 had much better visuals IMHO. Compare the outdoor dessert levels of each and it's no comparison.

True and you really can't use sales to judge graphics. Too many factors contribute to the success of a game. Look at U2, its winning awards left and right but will likely never sell as much as some games that have won nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody want to discuss the best graphics for downloadable games? Be neat to categorize them by file sizes. I think there were some notable games with great graphics. Shadow Complex is one to consider since it's using the Unreal Engine, but I'm sure there are others that should get a nod as well. What about Indie Games, PSN or Wiiware?

Tommy McClain

As I said in the other thread, you really can't correlate sales with 'perceived graphics quality'.

Besides the lack of data to make that claim, people arguing that should realize the implications. For instance, Mario Kart Wii is going to be (well, is already) the best-selling racing game this generation.

I will make a few sub categories because I don't want people to think I only saw KZ2 this year :)

Best graphics (tech)?
KZ2

Best artstyle?
Uncharted2

Best framerate?
MW2

Best non-realtime photomode and PR shots?
Forza3

Best game with dark graphics?
Batman

Best water physics?
Pixeljunk shooter

Thank you.

Anybody want to discuss the best graphics for downloadable games? Be neat to categorize them by file sizes. I think there were some notable games with great graphics. Shadow Complex is one to consider since it's using the Unreal Engine, but I'm sure there are others that should get a nod as well. What about Indie Games, PSN or Wiiware?

Trials HD! 60fps and very pretty graphics. On indie games, Jump looks retro but very colorful. It reminds of the 80's game Jumpman.

Downloadable "best graphics" is even more subjective, as they are more daring in art style. 'Flower' could win without huge technical advantage. However from what I've seen, both on artistic success and engine, Trials would get my vote for best download visuals.

You'd be very surprised! I've actually done blind tests many times in the past, I even posted about them here some time ago. KZ2 tended to rank poorly on the blind tests I did. I used to think that art direction was more important than technology, and doing blind tests makes me believe that all the more. In other words, I'd prefer great art with average tech instead of great tech with average art. Point being that "best graphics" is not cut and dry, and ultimately I think art direction trumps tech. So while on forums KZ2 gets brought up all the time as the best graphics, it's not surprising to me when I show it to someone and they think it's visually just average, or if they prefer MW2 visually. It's also not surprising to me when multi platform games get ranked best on blind tests.

Given that most games bought are multi platform, I'd say making a development platform multi platform friendly should be a top priority. The old strategy of putting out bizarre hardware with poor tools and support, and relying on years for devs to figure it all out is a dead strategy.
You were very cut and dry about the ever grey Gears of War 1 being the best looking game available when it was released. But now, here you are with your blind tests, appeals to artistic preference, and continued accusations of fanboy bias. :???:
What's changed?

Gears of War 1 was graphically 'excellent' due to its art - we've discussed this on the forum a number of times.

You were very cut and dry about the ever grey Gears of War 1 being the best looking game available when it was released. But now, here you are with your blind tests, appeals to artistic preference, and continued accusations of fanboy bias. :???:
What's changed?

The year has changed. When it came out Gears 1 was unmatched on both art and tech. Today it's beat and/or somewhat more common looking given wide spread use of Unreal engine, so it doesn't have the dramatic impact now that it had back then. Having said that, I bet if I had done a blind test way back then, that Kameo would have beat Gears for some people graphics wise.

Do pc games count? I thought MW2 looked pretty awsome even though I didnt like the game that much. I also loved HL2:ep3. The source engine might be getting old but I still think valve nails it in the art department. It just looks realstic. Characters have realistic proportions (most people dont use steroids as most games seem to think) and they always make good use of color. They use color a lot but still manage to give that gritty vibe when needed as opposed to a lot of other games that think gritty means you can only use grey and black.

And to get a bit more radical...

I also like how NSMB wii looks. Simple in every way but sometimes you dont need to be sophisticated to please the eye.

On the handheld department I like Zelda spirit tracks a lot. DS might not be worth much in the tech department but I think the game has good art and makes good use of what it got to work with. I actually find the game a whole lot more immersive that a lot of other games on consoles/pc.

So for me it would be one of the above even though none of them have the best tech I think. For me its mostly artwork that makes a game look pleasing.

The year has changed. When it came out Gears 1 was unmatched on both art and tech. Today it's beat and/or somewhat more common looking given wide spread use of Unreal engine, so it doesn't have the dramatic impact now that it had back then. Having said that, I bet if I had done a blind test way back then, that Kameo would have beat Gears for some people graphics wise.

but your blind tests are not very usefull IMHO, you should do test for the target audience!

you should ask gamers who love to play UT3, MW, MW2, Killzone 2, HALO 3, Resistance 1+2, BF: Bad Company..., i.e. in this case you should ask FPS gamers to judge what they think has the best FPS graphics. You can extend or specialize this blind test if you include for instance TPS games (GeOW 1+2, UC1+2, ...) or if you only blind test certain art direction (realistic looking games: MW, MW2, BF, ...)

If you don't ask the target group of the games, it is pointless...the result is pointless and the conclusion for the developers and the publisher is pointless:

if I would ask old moms what they like in a blind test, and FPS developers and publisher would base their game graphics on this result....all FPS would look like Flower and the enemies like Eye Pet!!

Can we can use the gamer press as an analog for the 'target audience'? Because they seem to miss a lot and generally support the notion that art is greater than graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back