PS3 Firmware 3.0

Any one interested in disabling the annoying scrolling ticker at the top right - set your date to the future and restart your PS3. :)

It doesn't solve all the other 3.00 problems, but getting rid of that ridiculous ticker is at least something until the FW staff gets back from their holiday. :rolleyes:

If you try it, see if your PSN games, online games and movies work correctly. Time is a critical function for security protocols. If there is no side effect, I might just do this.

More 3.0 changes ?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2009/09/new_version_of_bbc_iplayer_for.html

A few months ago Sony released an updated version of Flash that provided support for H.264 content. However, that version of Flash was still unable to play back our higher quality streams at the full frame rate of 25fps.

Since then, Sony have done a great job of enhancing the PS3's Flash playback experience, and the latest V3.0 firmware update now includes hardware acceleration in full-screen mode, allowing for a substantial improvement in the playback experience.

Over the past year, we've also done a lot of tuning and enhancements to our iPlayer video encoding, including adding a new 1500Kbps "SD quality" format. Put the two together and the result is an iPlayer on PS3 with brilliant video quality - almost as good as broadcast television!

Yeah, I posted that a few posts up too. ;)

I have no idea now if it is thanks to my bandwidth upgrade, but I could stream the WMV HD directly from Gamersyde and play them back live without a hitch, very smooth and nice.

slider mentioned that the WiFi on his PS3 performs better now. Perhaps they optimized the network stack ?

I didn't realize it's the same article :)

EDIT: To make up for the double post, here's a new one:
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/10/sony-looking-into-changing-PS3s-newly-redesigned-friends-list/

Inexplicably, the latest software update added large gray boxes around each individual user ID, making for a cluttered look that simply didn't jive with the elegance of the XMB. SCEE's PS3 Brand Manager appeared on the EU PlayStation.Blog to admit that "updates to firmware don't always suit everyone's tastes."

Thankfully, the Friends list is something Sony is "looking into based on your comments." Mark Bowles added, "We really do appreciate the feedback you guys give us, both positive and negative."

Wipeout dynamic theme:

Free for EU folks.

EDIT:

PAIN:

High Velocity Bowling:

MotorStorm [strike](bad quality video)[/strike]:

If you try it, see if your PSN games, online games and movies work correctly. Time is a critical function for security protocols. If there is no side effect, I might just do this.

Couldn't make out any apparent problems yet - KillZone2, CoD5 as well as WipEout HD/Fury work fine.

There is a slight annoyance with messaging through the XMB though. Seems like Sony use "sent-time of sender" instead of "received-time of recipient" (or global PSN time to sort the messages), so all my messages that I send to friends are FROM TEH FUTURE!!!!1

It's issues like these, that make me think the Sony firmware guys are a bunch of amateurs... :rolleyes:

It's not as if I'm only having these issues now though, since it seems a majority of people who use the internet don't care for NTP.

Well, I never thought they could make the XMB worse than it already was, but boy was I wrong. At least we know what the monkeys not writing Shakespeare are doing these days.

I can see the design meeting now.
Producer: Right guys, we need some suggestions for the XMB
Minion 1: Add big things
Producer: Yeah!
Minion 2: Add big things in more than one place at once
Producer: Whoa! Yeah!!
Minion 1: Add big things that put more big things all over the screen
Producer: WTF YEAH!!!
Minion 2: Might seem like a bad idea but how about animated themes.
Everyone: Wooooooh, cool!
Minion 1: Add big things all over the place and then get it to change the background so we can't see the cool animated themes.
Producer: Huh? Oh... hell yeah!!!
Minion 2: Add big things round the already bigger friends list.. and hey, how about we add some annoying small things for good measure?
Producer: Wow, this update is gonna be B-I-G, thanks guys. Oh, and when you go out there, take the bananas off the monkeys, we need this update soon.

Already did:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1328752&postcount=36

I hear more people complain about the Friends List look, the larger font size, the 4ever ticker and the extra Playstation Store shortcuts in Video and Game categories. The What's New section is actually a huge improvement from the old Information Board. As for advertising, they didn't go far enough to package the concept. Should be able to find a middleground after this initial effort.

The only problem they have currently is that they are breaking the XMBs excellent user interface continuity and graphical design. Had they managed to make this pretty, then there would have been almost no complaints whatsoever. They overcame two other pitfallls, i.e. that the XMB would be slower/less responsive, or that the What's New page was non-optional (you can turn it off so that it is not shown at bootup, only when you navigate to it). Those were the two biggest problems with the NXE.

They can fix this however and I expect they will. I think it's good that they found a workable method to link to content in the store, on the web, and actual games in a flexible manner. This allows for very efficient and flexible rearrangement of content. I think they currently just didn't have enough time to figure out the best way to do so.

Yap ! Direct link to PS Store is convenient. I like it. They need to add direct link to Internet bookmarks too... some day. No rush for that.

Am i missing something? when i turn my PS3 on it doesnt go straight to the whats new section, i have to go and select it.

Did you turn off "What's New" in System Settings ? It should go there right after reboot.

Yes. IMHO, they should not remove the What's New and PS Store short cuts. They can improve these features further.

They can change the Friends List look, the 4ever ticker and the large font size. Eventually, throw in a free PS Home dynamic theme to highlight real activities and events. Some highlight stats would be helpful (e.g., How many active game parties, who are they ? What campaign/lucky draw/free gift giveaway is running ? etc.)

What's your problem with the XMB?

Dont remember doing that but guess i must have! Dont see the problem with it if its optional....

Even if it's optional it is just something extra for people to complain about. My only problem with it is that it doesn't display new enough content enough. I have been seeing the same stuff since it launched and there is a lot more going on with the store or community period. Where are the blog links for announcement of new content?

It is being underused IMO.

I like this users mock up of the friends list, and utilization of the Store icon (by moving What's New to the PlayStation Store): http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=62&thread.id=1576611

My only problem with it is that it doesn't display new enough content enough. I have been seeing the same stuff since it launched and there is a lot more going on with the store or community period. Where are the blog links for announcement of new content?

Heh, so someone else noticed that ! :p

It's my same exact feeling. They probably want to trap the hits from new PS3 Slim owners. I think they can cycle new daily links with some "permanent" or old ones. The new info will train people to click on the icons. The old info will help promote things that Sony *really* wants to get out there.

Back