PS3 Slim Hardware Confirmed

Hopefully they'll release the Slim in different colours later, some other colour than matte black might look nicer... or not.

Yap ! Some like matt black better though. It's more "resilient" against micro-scratches, dust and fingerprints. I have to hold my PS3 at awkward places to avoid fingerprinting the case.

If it is 45nm, why is the power consumption at approx. 250W?

Because you cannot deduct power consumption based on what the power supply is rated to provide.

The original 60GB model was around 200W an a kill-a-wat. If the press release is right and the power consumption is reduced with two thirds it puts the slim around 70W. Which is around 30% less than the 100-110W that 80GB model outputs. The numbers seem toa add up. I have no trouble believing 70W for the slim model.

Shame on microsoft to get beaten by Sony on slim console version. It takes ages for them to come up with new hardware revisions. Still on 80 nm process on ED RAM; 65 nm on GPU and CPU. What gives?

I won't be suprised if MS saves their slimmed version for Natal for next year (probably even with a new name)

The Slim doesn't look that much smaller than the original, actually it looks a bit deeper. Most of the fat has been removed for the thickness and length.
Surely there would have been room for the power supply inside, but external one must be cheaper, so...

Edit: So the PSU indeed is internal. Great!

Last edited by a moderator:
They could be sneaky, and mean 30% from the original 90nm/90nm?

When in doubt go to the source. Quote from sony press release:
Compared to the very first PS3 model with 60GB HDD, the internal volume as well as its thickness and weight are trimmed down to approximately two-thirds. Furthermore, power consumption is also cut to two-thirds, helping to reduce fan noise

Original 60GB model was around 200W, two thirds is about 66.7%, hence the slim model is slightly under 70W mark. 80GB models are around 100-110W afaik.

They could be sneaky, and mean 30% from the original 90nm/90nm?

They were far better than that from the 60GB to the 80GB, like 190w vs 110w at peak.

The press release quite clearly indicates just that:

Compared to the very first PS3 model with 60GB HDD, the internal volume as well as its thickness and weight are trimmed down to approximately two-thirds. Furthermore, power consumption is also cut to two-thirds, helping to reduce fan noise.

Back