PS3 Slim Hardware Confirmed

;) Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes. :cool:
Yup. The new PS3 has a clear, crisp shape, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the system a big boost. It's not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the brand itself. :p

Original 60GB model was around 200W, two thirds is about 66.7%, hence the slim model is slightly under 70W mark. 80GB models are around 100-110W afaik.
I can't believe all of you got this wrong, the press release clearly states "... trimmed down to approximately two-thirds...", not by two-thirds.. which means it will still consume ~110 Watts, like the current 80/160GB models, which probably means still 65nm for both cell and rsx..

Cool, so I won't have to buy a hat.
The video itself is probably fake even though the PS3 Slim is not (there's bits of dust on the PS2 and it jiggles for example; a professionally produced Sony video wouldn't have that, even if the video was intended to be viral/look fan-made)...

No explicit word on backwards-compatibility for PS2 games probably means it's not going to happen. Ach.
I believe its a bad move launching at $299, I would of gone now $349 + then $299 in november.
Yes it looks better than it did, but I still prefer the look of the xbox360, Though my ideal style would be a squarish unit with slightly rounded corners, why on earth they stick curves on these machines I dont understand
It's designed in such a way that you won't even consider stacking it.

Unboxing video
and more pics

I still say I prefer the new look.

Oh, and no power brick from the looks of it.

I'm liking the design better than the orignal too. MS certainly doesn't need to get too cocky here in the US. They'll need some kind of answer to it. I don't think a $299 Elite will work for very long this year either. Kudos to Sony.

Tommy McClain

I was expecting a external power brick, Sony has some really good engineers to shrink it down and keep it inside.

I don't understand why they keep the supply inside. Seems like it's just another thing producing heat inside the casing, which could be moved external. Plus, you can make the casing smaller. I guess some people really don't like the external bricks because they don't have anywhere to hide them in their home theater area.

I like the new look. The exterior design of the old (post-launch) case didn't make sense with the card readers and extra pair of USB slots removed.

I don't understand why they keep the supply inside. Seems like it's just another thing producing heat inside the casing, which could be moved external. Plus, you can make the casing smaller. I guess some people really don't like the external bricks because they don't have anywhere to hide them in their home theater area.

Efficient power supplies don't produce much heat. And yes some people hate large heavy bricks, especially when the cord is ridged.

Back