PS3 Slim Hardware Confirmed

The power connector in the back looks exactly like a standard "shaver" type mains plug. Using that connector for a non-mains input would be pretty hazardous.

According to that, there is a power brick. It must be pretty small though judging by the unboxing video.

I don't see it, just some cables on the desk.

Edit: I read there was a small one, I don't see it in the video though.

15ho1hs.jpg

Right, I hadn't been doubting the existence of the Slim for months. I was just talking about the reveal video that revealed nothing.

Why do they talk about an 80Gb HDD? Isn't the slim 120Gb?

Also, from that ars article:

Do we need to stop yapping about backwards compatibility?

"It's not coming back, so let me put that on the table," Koller says with an air of finality. But it's all people ever talk about!

"It's not as big as a purchase intent driver as you may be hearing," he claimed. "We've got such a substantial lineup of titles on the PS3; most people are buying the PS3 for PS3 games. They've buying it for PS3 games and Blu-ray movies."

"That won't be returning," he repeats.

I don't get the pricing with the current Fat. I can spend the same amount of money for an inferior machine with smaller HDD capacity. I suppose this is more about shifting units to the general public who are none-the-wiser and reckon it's a deal.

£250 for the UK is a bit steep. £199 would have been pushing it, but £220 seems viable to me and generated a lot more interest.

I would of gone now $349 + then $299 in november.
Doing that would be a bad idea. What would be the point?
two bites of the cheery
thus likely More money $100->$250million more + likely better sales.

$350 machine with a larger HD + consumes less power (+ most likely quieter) would generate good sales, when the pricecut effect starts to flag at ~october, bam $50 off = more momentum, I expect the wii/xbox360 if they get a pricecut this year for it to be in oct/nov for this reason.

Unboxing video
and more pics

I still say I prefer the new look.

Oh, and no power brick from the looks of it.

I like the way the new PS3 looks from the sites as well as the matte texture/color.

The only thing I dont like is the logo on it. When the console is placed horizontally the logo isnt read horizontally like the original model. And the fonts are not convincing either. It should have at least used the exact same fonts present on the original PS2 with the 2 replaced with 3 but they are slightly different.

The box art also needs some better work

But I love the overall look. I might buy another one someday

As far as looks go, I like the old one better. It's not the piano black. IMHO, the white, red and silver satin models all look exquisite; much better than the piano black. Too bad they stick out too much amongst a rack of home theater equipments.

If that's slim then I'm practically invisible and weightless... although it goes to show how big the original PS3 was.

I'm seriously thinking about ordering old one before current supply dries out. The HDD difference is not significant, since my primary PS3 will have much more than both, and secondary will not need anything even close to 80GB.

Slim is ugly, especially with the new cheap buttons, not to mention total lack of linux support.

EDIT: Also, redesigned Slim's reliability is yet to be proven.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are they asking hackers to make custom firmware for the Slim by removing Other OS ?

Plus it's not really that small at 29 x 29 cm. I think they're still going to struggle. Maybe they can cut the depth some more when it reached 32nm for both processors and give it $199 price point in two years.

Back