The Last Guardian (Trico, Ico 3, Shadow of the Colossus sequel, etc.) [PS4]

Here's a comparison between render target(?)and final version of the trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/trailer-comparison-the-last/51780

I don't think it was ever a "target render". I hate these buzz words. This is why the "internet community" for videogames is both a blessing and a curse. It gives us tons of information, but at the same time, it is FILLED with idiots frothing at the mouths waiting for each and every opportunity to use buzz words. I really dislike "media outlets".

To be clear, I'm talking about gametrailers, not you :)

Eurogamer & Joystiq interviews.

Joystiq said:
Many gamers may have missed Ico or Shadow of the Colossus on PS2. Do you, or Sony, have any plans to reintroduce those games on the PS3?

There isn't any concrete activity on that, but I do have a great interest in it.

Hope so, I never did finish Ico. :oops:

Count me in.

The Eurogamer interview has some gameplay info:

Eurogamer: How does the full physics engine in The Last Guardian help you to develop the gameplay?

Fumito Ueda: We've used a lot of physics elements in the previous games, but this time around we've introduced a full-scale physics element into the game. So that generated some consequences and features that we never expected to see. I think this will mean the game turns out to have some good things we never expected before.

Eurogamer: I understand you can't control Torico directly, but you take advantage of the animal's characteristics to interact with the environment. Can you give us an example of how this works?

Fumito Ueda: For example, if you have access to one of Torico's favourite foods or objects, you can throw it to a place where you wouldn't be able to go in normal circumstances.

Eurogamer: So let's say I throw the food to a ledge across a big gap - I can then jump onto Torico and the animal will take me across?

Fumito Ueda: Exactly.

Eurogamer: What lessons did you learn from developing ICO and Shadow of the Colossus? Is there anything you want to change or improve upon in The Last Guardian?

Fumito Ueda: Basically, my theory is to complete what I intended to do. It's the same theory I always employ. And because the development cycle was so long for this product, I threw in a lot of trials and errors and faced a lot of problems along the way. I tried to remember what I wanted to do originally for this game through the whole process and to try to complete that. Whatever I achieved in the past was evaluated and appreciated by the market, so that's what I focused on throughout.

Left over from TGS 2009 presentations. Gamers and journalists asked about the inspiration behind Toriko and the story's ending ^_^

About Toriko...

http://kotaku.com/5368695/cat+ownin...an-and-how-the-ps3-helps-him?skyline=true&s=i

"The idea behind the creature, for me, it is based on a cat," Ueda said through a translator during a sit-down chat with Kotaku in a meeting room at this year's Tokyo Game Show. "Whether it looks like it or not is up to the viewers of the game. But to me it looks like a cat, mixing in other elements from household pets like birds and dogs, mixing in some of the cute aspects of those types of animals." Gamers could be forgiven from seeing a lot of bird in it. The creature is called Torico in Japanese. "Tori" is the Japanese word for bird.

http://kotaku.com/5368695/cat+ownin...an-and-how-the-ps3-helps-him?skyline=true&s=i

"I started to own a cat around the same time as starting Torico and it's been kind of a sample reference creature for me," Ueda said. His cat's named Royce, and while she likes to be petted when she wants food, she's otherwise content to leave Ueda alone.

About the ending...

4Gamer asked a particularly hardcore question of Ueda -- and they apparently weren't alone! The site asked Ueda if The Last Guardian would have a sad ending. Ueda responded with, "People from overseas asked that too. Hmm... I wonder."

As a final message to Famitsu.com's readers (all Japanese video game interviews seem to end with the interviewers asking for a message of some form, Ueda said, "It will probably take a bit more time, but despite feeling great pressure, we're aiming to surpass expectations."

I like Team Ico but their games have pretty average gameplay but what makes they're games standout.Is the good art-direction and stories being told, that emotionally attach the player...

OK, so what's the secret of animation in this game? Everything looks and animates great, and I can imagine the effort put into animating Torico realistically, but the boy both looks and animates different than the rest.

Especially, his animation feels like high quality hand drawn animation where there are slight "model" changes between frames.

I found Shadow of the Colossus to have amazing gameplay. The controls aren't super slick but it's really part of the games overall feeling of the impossible struggle your up against.

Ico was also great but I sadly just recently played it. I loved it but I already heard so much about it. I wish I would've played it when it first came out, before I was told what to expect.

I like Team Ico but their games have pretty average gameplay...
What do you mean by average gameplay? I'd have said SotC was extraordinary gameplay, as no-one that I know of had made a monster scaling game before. Also where ICO's gameplay was certainly akin to other adventure games, the boy/girl mechanic was something special, which established the empathy unique to this game.

SotC is an amazing game, but sadly it did have some issues. The controls weren't very good, and it had some bad camera angles. Both were occasionally bad enough to effect the gameplay. The framerate would also drop down to 15 fps during the fights with the colossus.

SoTC introduced new gameplay experiences but the mechanics itself need some work. In my book, it's still a great game. If they port the titles over to PS3 a la God of War, then it should fix most of the implementation problems.

I'd buy that for sure, but I'd be even more interested in an Ico-makeover. I still think it's the better game of the two (mostly due to a much more even pacing)

I'm really really hoping they'll do a 60fps HD re-release of SotC for PS3!
Let's hope the God of War collection sells well.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/02/03/fumito_ueda_on_last_guardian/

Famitsu published a short interview in which director Fumito Ueda spilled a few additional precious details on the game and its development process.

At present, the development staff is pouring its efforts on the eagle-like creature that serves as the centerpiece of the game.

Famitsu asked Ueda if, as with past games, he's working on the story board and such artistic areas of the game himself. The answer is yes. However, the amount of work has decreased compared to ICO and Shadow of the Colossus

Asked about the game content, he simply said that he can't say too much at present, but that he'd like to share additional information this year. They've yet to decide on whether this information will come at E3 or at the Tokyo Game Show.

Ueda closed off his interview with a brief statement about release time frame. "We're at the stage where we're looking into the time frame. Once the time frame has been decided upon, it won't be long until release. With Last Guardian, we're working intently with the aim of making a game that offers a kind of fun that cannot be experienced elsewhere, so I'd like everyone to wait just a bit more."

SOTC was a flawless experience for me. If remake for the PS 3, I would get it again. It was unprecedented in everything it did, if not for others, then surely for me. Searching for those towering giants in that lonely land was something ethreal. Sometimes the urge to not kill a colossus was too strong if it turned out to be a beautiful humble giant.

Something no other game has ever done to me. I was completely in awe and lost in that mythical land and sometimes I would gallop fast just to see that eagle come down and fly with me. It felt like a song :) !
Only other game which had me not wanting to kill a boss was MGS 3. I just didn't want to kill The Boss. But it was still a game. SOTC was my own fairyland I could escape into and go on my lone adventures.

Totally agreed with what you said....what a memorable experience it was.
They just don't make many games like those anymore...as its always about realism these days.

With closing and merging of those smaller teams and studios, I'm concerned will innovative "arty" games made with passion be made for long.
These games are often honed for years, and that doesn't look when financials are checked.
The latest exaple is Studio Liverpool, the WipeOut team. I don't think they've done much but a Wipeout game every few years, but what perfection their games have been!

I don't think they're closing down, but there was a rumour of even 50% staff reductions.
I might have jumped to conclusions reading just the headlines though...

I don't think they're closing down, but there was a rumour of even 50% staff reductions.
I might have jumped to conclusions reading just the headlines though...

It's a result of the Evolution acquisition. Last year Sony put the Liverpool Studio and Evolution under one roof...they would be making MotorStorm and WipEout in tandem...both racing games. I expect they are wanting to combine the teams to reduce costs. They could then still work on two games at once...perhaps with a yearly output like Insomniac - MotorStorm year, WipEout year (or whatever other IPs they may be working on).

:love: The Last Guardian. Really looking forward to 2011!

Back