Old Discussion Thread for all 3 motion controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joker is far from the first to criticise Sony's lack of strategy or focus:
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/03/how-sony-lost-its-way/#more-386052

IMG_2291.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/5163304/the-problem-with-sony-in-a-picture

Eh? Thats a stupid example to prove that argument

I think one of the biggest potential problems with Move is that Sony's trying to sell to the Wii market with the main selling point of improved technology and greater accuracy. The technology does look impressive, but the main values Wii's expanded audience care about are intuitive, accessible, and fun controls combined with content they enjoy. Technological superiority is not their focus at all, they just want something that has these other values and is "good enough" technically. If Sony can create unique experiences that appeal to them and aren't possible with Wii, or find a large portion of the Wii user base that are unsatisfied with Wii's technology, Move could be very successful in capturing that market. Otherwise, Sony's in for a big disappointment.

And what makes you think they're selling Move to the Wii Market, as opposed to opening up their existing PS3 households to bring more people around the console?

I think Move is more about getting your family in on PS3 at this point, than it is about getting Wii owners to move to PS3. I guess if you're caught up in the "console war" BS you'll have that opinion. I think it's pretty clear that Sony is trying to market to existing owners with a large majority of their games, and it doesn't look like they are trying to steal thunder from the Wii, so much as they are trying to sell Move and Move Software to existing owners. The PS3 userbase is large enough at this point that creating some compelling Wii-Like experiences can help to bring the family around the console.

I think the problem is people have the idea a console should do one thing and one thing only. The idea that Sony is trying to get across with the PS3 is that there CAN be a set top box in the living room. That you can have games, movies, music, and internet in one package. People seem to think this presents a lack of focus, rather than an attempt to change what we see a console for.

joker is right. The management at sony are really clueless. They have no vision for the move. Basically they want to guide the consumer and dictate what they want when instead they should develop and create experiences the consumer wants.

precision is all well and good but what that's not what made the wii successful. It's the fun, accessible initutive software which targets almost all demographics

Sony needs a visionary like a kutaragi and harrison. Right now they are being followers when they should be innovating. The move has a lot of potential but sony is too timid, too clueless and generally useless on what to come up with it. Already people are writing it off because it looks like a wii knockoff. Where is the software that will convince wii owners to buy a ps3? i haven't seen it. The augmented reality stuff is pretty cool but where is the games for it? where, where, where?

If people compare the sony which launched the playstation 1 to the current sony you will be amazed at the difference. The marketing of 90s sony alone puts the current sony to shame. Forget everything else

And what makes you think they're selling Move to the Wii Market, as opposed to opening up their existing PS3 households to bring more people around the console?

I think Move is more about getting your family in on PS3 at this point, than it is about getting Wii owners to move to PS3. I guess if you're caught up in the "console war" BS you'll have that opinion. I think it's pretty clear that Sony is trying to market to existing owners with a large majority of their games, and it doesn't look like they are trying to steal thunder from the Wii, so much as they are trying to sell Move and Move Software to existing owners. The PS3 userbase is large enough at this point that creating some compelling Wii-Like experiences can help to bring the family around the console.

I think the problem is people have the idea a console should do one thing and one thing only. The idea that Sony is trying to get across with the PS3 is that there CAN be a set top box in the living room. That you can have games, movies, music, and internet in one package. People seem to think this presents a lack of focus, rather than an attempt to change what we see a console for.

if sony is using the move to target ps3 audience then it's sony is really really and i mean really stupid. the ps3 audience are satisfied with their DS3.

It is okay to highlight precision as a differentiator, but it cannot be the only differentiator. Precision means very little out of context. For core gamers, that precision has to be compared against the traditional controller (tough !). But if the new Move controller can do say... RTS in the living room well, then it's clearly more than just precision. For casual gamers, they may not care about precision unless it is in the way of the gameplay. In which case, I'd call it "cannot be done on other controllers" (or "stinks on other controllers") instead of more precise. I suspect for most cases, Wiimote+ can match Move's motion sensing performance (but the former definitely cannot do PS Eye's color recognition for example).

I think one of the biggest potential problems with Move is that Sony's trying to sell to the Wii market with the main selling point of improved technology and greater accuracy. The technology does look impressive, but the main values Wii's expanded audience care about are intuitive, accessible, and fun controls combined with content they enjoy. Technological superiority is not their focus at all, they just want something that has these other values and is "good enough" technically. If Sony can create unique experiences that appeal to them and aren't possible with Wii, or find a large portion of the Wii user base that are unsatisfied with Wii's technology, Move could be very successful in capturing that market. Otherwise, Sony's in for a big disappointment.

Yes, that's the "better mouse trap" problem, which is why it is in Sony's interest to re-frame the problem space so that motion sensing alone is inadequate. And the solution requires a holistic approach. Or a different approach.

Joker is far from the first to criticise Sony's lack of strategy or focus:
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/03/how-sony-lost-its-way/#more-386052

IMG_2291.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/5163304/the-problem-with-sony-in-a-picture

Actually that article shows Gizmodo don't know what they are talking about. It depends on what audience/market Sony is trying to sell to. Their problem is at the strategic and deeper level, not something as shallow as color choices for commodity CE devices. [size=-2]They may need fashion elements like color and style to sell a commodity. Sony should be rather good at forecasting the batch size of the SKUs to sell into multiple segments at the same time.[/size]

if sony is using the move to target ps3 audience then it's sony is really really and i mean really stupid. the ps3 audience are satisfied with their DS3.

Exactly. But they can frame the problem bigger. A lot of us want to play with our family members but they couldn't get in. In this case, DS3 and the whole school of design behind it is clearly insufficient. Then again painting Move as being more precise does nothing here.

Except the real lost opportunity joker seems to be referring to happened when those guys were around.

I agree, but I highlighted Phil and Kutaragi because the visions are missing in their PS Move communication. Kutaragi is not a great communicator but at least we could understand what Sony is trying to shoot for.

Phil is a natural but I heard he's wasteful. At the concept and communication front, I think he did a great job. He also understood what LBP represented way at the beginning. All the $$$ he threw at the first parties allowed them to build a solid/advanced technical expectation and foundation that we benefit today. And he was the one who championed for casual gaming (a la Wii) before Wii was launched, but apparently, the rest of Sony didn't listen.

PS3 wouldn't be cool to me today if it's just a $299 box.

They may have over-compensated these days. Or... since we only have limited access, we have not seen what they are up to yet. Afterall, we have not seen a meaty firmware update for months now.

EDIT: Note that I'm not saying there is no visionaries in SCEA. Dr. Marks is clearly one. It's just that the vision doesn't come through strongly in their communication, product design and concept. It could be they have restricted budget, or they are trying to avoid hyperbole, or whatever. The thing is the more I understand what PS Move is, the more I think they undersell the damn thing.

Explain it to me then. If you really know so much about the user base, give me some stats, some focus tests you've done, or some survey's you can cite.

Better yet, tell me how on earth you know anything other than what you think. What makes your position so much better than Sony's again? Nothing. You're just a joe nobody rummaging around forums trumpeting your knowledge of NPD sales data feeling self important and entitled because you're a "hardcore gamer".

Honestly, THIS is the problem with gaming, not "casual" gamers.

Either way, you misunderstood my post as you so quickly jumped to conclusions to prove your point. They aren't targeting ONE user, they are targeting the HOUSEHOLD. They don't want to simply push more hardware with move, that is stupid. It's clear they want to sell it to people who already own PS3's and expand the usability throughout the house hold. Bring those moms, dads, and sisters into the picture, sell them the software.

There IS a market out there for that. There ARE households that have PS3's and not Wii's. Even more so, there may be a household where someone is interested enough in Wii to want to play it, but not to buy all the hardware, games, and accessories for it. If they already have a PS3, they can do it at a lower price point.

The problem with YOU (and what seems to be a lot of people that are just random nobody speculators on the internet) is that you think Sony is just going after this Wii audience trying to get them to upgrade to PS3, and you think that is ALL Sony is doing.

They are, again, trying to build a device (and a platform overall) that can appeal to the entire household.

Why? What's so infuriating about it? Why should it have been out earlier? Are you saying because of EyeToy or for some other reason?

Because Move has been around for a really long time. Believe it or not, it originally started out as a PS2 project. They had a massive head start and tossed it away.

How do you know what Sony's internal process has been on this? I realize that people talk, but I also realize that in big companies the operational levels rarely know what's really going on at an executive level -- it's usually more like a 'chinese telephone' than any real information.

At the dev level sure, we only know so much. But when you know people at the corporate level then that changes the level of information significantly. They have played their hand, and there is still nothing yet that screams "yes we will grab new audiences with this".

What is the price-point of both solutions, then?

There's two options, compete on price or compete on content. Sony can't compete on price so they can only compete on content. But because they are now launching along side Natal they can't compete on content since you are talking about 1st rev games vs 1st rev games. The situation is made worse because Sony is treating their item as an accesory whereas MS is treating it as a platform. Now if Sony brought out Move years back then they would have had a much better chance because even though they will still be losing on price, at least their 3rd rev games would be competing with the other guys 1st rev games.

Okay, so what's the direction to follow with Natal?

Easy, make applications that the existing hardcore will have no interest in. The more I hear the hardcore grumble about how they are not interested in Natal, the more I feel it has a chance to succeed. It's all about pulling in a new audience, not catering to the existing one. For sure some will try to adapt existing hardcore games to the new controllers and that's fine, so long as it's not the primary focus. The problem with Move is that it has taken the direction of being an alternative accesory for the hardcore, with some casual audience games thrown in. The good thing with Natal is that it has taken the direction of being an alternative platform for casuals, with some hardcore games thrown in.

Well, certainly the drone coders and Joe Game Players who are excited about this must have some idea about what they're getting excited about? Or are they getting excited because they're being told to?

Truth be told I don't really care if the hardcore get excited about it. What would excite me far more is seeing Natal ads in places no one would have ever considered before but are now made possible by new content. Like seeing a Natal ad in Cosmo magazine, on the We channel, etc. Now that would be awesome. Seeing Kevin Butler ads? Sure they are cute, but largely useless because the people with whom those ads resonate the most with likely have a PS3 already anyways and/or aren't the type that would really care about buying Move games anyways.

Except here I'm skeptical that third parties will be overly enthusiastic about supporting any of the motion controllers with research. Particularly if it doesn't come with a killer app.

Your last sentence there is key, because in both cases the killer app is expected to come from MS/Sony. If they don't provide it then the consequences will reverberate throughout the 3rd party support network.

This brings back something we heard a month or two ago, with the dev-only conference/meetup that MS held, and the allegedly terrible demo of Milo. What sort of leadership by example are we talking about?

Milo gets ragged on by the hardcore, but that's because they just don't get it. The Milo demo had many purposes. Whether or not it actually worked turns out was completely irrelevant. The point was to demonstrate out of the box thinking to show alternate uses for Natal, to show that the host (MS in this case) has plans for Natal aside from just Wii clone games, to show that the host is putting research dollars behind the product and not just tossing out another accessory, and to get lots of free press with non hardcore audiences with which Natal is designed for to begin with. The hardcore forum folk will skewer it but they don't matter, they aren't the intended audience. It was different enough of a demo that magazines/website beyond the normal "just games" category were going to talk about it.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Sony's message has been pretty on point in making light of Natal's limitations. They never miss a chance to brag about the low latency and superb accuracy of their solution or to highlight how important buttons are to interacting with a simulation. All three of these areas I think are perceived weaknesses in Natal.

Perceived by who though? The hardcore? Sure, they can skewer it all day if they want, doesn't really matter though. Will young kids care about latency when they see a demo kiosk with some funky Natal app at a store? Will soccer mom be thinking about the accuracy limitations of Natal when she reads a Natal add in some magazine catered to her? Will rocker girl be crushed at Natal's limitations when she reads about some cool new Natal ad in Teen Whatever magazine? The audience that it's catered to could care less about the tech, so long as there is some compelling content for them. By "compelling content" I mean content that would likely make a hardcore gamer vomit, and that's just fine. The Wii got crucified by just about everyone over it's tech limitations and turns out none of it mattered to anyone other than the hardcore, who I think still continue to harp on it today yet at the same time remain puzzled how it has wildly outsold everyone else.

Well we've seen things like the virtual makeup mirror using PSEye. So we know Sony have looked into applications that can work for a different audience than they are catering to right now. There was no point in pushing those experiences on an expensive machine, which the PS3 has been for most it's life. I'm surprised the PS3 has titles like Buzz and Singstar out for it already, titles like Buzz Singstar EyePet show Sony's proven ability to tap into different demographics. They're not doing all the media stuff MS have done, going on talkshows etc, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It might not be the time to really push for mindshare of expanded audiences yet. Nintendo seems to have success with announcing things fairly close to their launch. Sony could just be totally dropping the ball on this but we can't know yet and we'll perhaps get a better idea at E3.

Because Move has been around for a really long time. Believe it or not, it originally started out as a PS2 project. They had a massive head start and tossed it away.

Yes, too complacent perhaps.
But they wouldn't be able to do it on PS3 because of the high price point.
I expected them to do something @ $299 though.

Milo gets ragged on by the hardcore, but that's because they just don't get it. The Milo demo had many purposes. Whether or not it actually worked turns out was completely irrelevant. The point was to demonstrate out of the box thinking to show alternate uses for Natal, to show that the host (MS in this case) has plans for Natal aside from just Wii clone games, to show that the host is putting research dollars behind the product and not just tossing out another accessory, and to get lots of free press with non hardcore audiences with which Natal is designed for to begin with. The hardcore forum folk will skewer it but they don't matter, they aren't the intended audience. It was different enough of a demo that magazines/website beyond the normal "just games" category were going to talk about it.

Sony did show high concept videos. Besides the Magic Mirror, there was also the "Eyedentity" announcement. On top of that they have the Tank demo, which eventually ended up in EyePet (and "gimped" !). In addition, speech recognition was already "shipped" on SingStar before Milo was shown.

The first problem really is with how they present all these innovations. They were treated as piecemeal, uncoordinated standalone efforts on a low key accessory called PS Eye. Sony treated them like individual titles instead of a consolidated platform. If "PS Move" is a new platform, how so ? And how can Sony grow it *fast* ?

Playstation Home is another example. The management committed resources, but I don't think they have the right people and team size to push it further. Right now, it's limping along with barely (just barely) sufficient improvements to scrape by. The platform will likely sink into anonymity over the next few years. [size=-2]I love the World Map update, it's a belated step in the right direction.[/size]

And then, they went on to start more one-off efforts or point solutions. The eBook Reader comes to mind. I think it will be beaten to death or a very small niche by iPad. Sony is competing with the bests in the world, they need to pool all their best efforts together instead of spreading them all over the place.

When Peter Dille talks about convergence recently, he should have a clear idea of *how* exactly it would benefit the users instead of congragulating himself that PS3 is a convergent product. It's not. Not until my wife and my mother can use it effortlessly. There are still a few gaps in the current solution. They are very close, but yet rather far, from the convergent goal -- if Peter Dille and other execs still have the wrong mindset and perception.

I disagree with the notion that Sony needs to fire everyone. I think they should review and revamp the product development approaches and corporate policies for a start.

So essentially EyeToy. Alright.

At the dev level sure, we only know so much. But when you know people at the corporate level then that changes the level of information significantly. They have played their hand, and there is still nothing yet that screams "yes we will grab new audiences with this".

Okay, what is the information?

There's two options, compete on price or compete on content. Sony can't compete on price so they can only compete on content. But because they are now launching along side Natal they can't compete on content since you are talking about 1st rev games vs 1st rev games. The situation is made worse because Sony is treating their item as an accesory whereas MS is treating it as a platform. Now if Sony brought out Move years back then they would have had a much better chance because even though they will still be losing on price, at least their 3rd rev games would be competing with the other guys 1st rev games.

You really need to start giving examples, here. How is MS treating it 'as a platform'? What sort of money is being bandied about? Are we going to be flabbergasted at E3? Because we've seen nothing so far. And again, what's the price point?

Easy, make applications that the existing hardcore will have no interest in. The more I hear the hardcore grumble about how they are not interested in Natal, the more I feel it has a chance to succeed.

That's stupid. That's sort of looking at the situation of the Wii and going 'gee, if we can just alienate the hardcore the way Nintendo did, we'd reach success'.

It's just backwards thinking; the only thing Sony did right about the Move is that it has some appeal to the hardcore. Nintendo appeals to their hardcore just by being Nintendo.

It's all about pulling in a new audience, not catering to the existing one. For sure some will try to adapt existing hardcore games to the new controllers and that's fine, so long as it's not the primary focus. The problem with Move is that it has taken the direction of being an alternative accesory for the hardcore, with some casual audience games thrown in. The good thing with Natal is that it has taken the direction of being an alternative platform for casuals, with some hardcore games thrown in.

Again, we need you to elaborate. You're saying these things, we're not seeing these things.

Truth be told I don't really care if the hardcore get excited about it. What would excite me far more is seeing Natal ads in places no one would have ever considered before but are now made possible by new content. Like seeing a Natal ad in Cosmo magazine, on the We channel, etc. Now that would be awesome. Seeing Kevin Butler ads? Sure they are cute, but largely useless because the people with whom those ads resonate the most with likely have a PS3 already anyways and/or aren't the type that would really care about buying Move games anyways.

Fair enough.

Your last sentence there is key, because in both cases the killer app is expected to come from MS/Sony. If they don't provide it then the consequences will reverberate throughout the 3rd party support network.

Okay, but what will the killer app be? Controller-less Wii Sports? Sony has shown nothing that Nintendo can't do already, but again, that's not a surprise. That's what the Move was all along. Why are you so positive that Microsoft will be able to deliver a killer app?

Milo gets ragged on by the hardcore, but that's because they just don't get it.

Explain it, then. What's there to get?

The Milo demo had many purposes. Whether or not it actually worked turns out was completely irrelevant.

Different demos. I'm not talking about the E3 demo. Check GDC talk; Milo was shown behind closed doors to a bunch of devs and it didn't perform admirably.

The point was to demonstrate out of the box thinking to show alternate uses for Natal,

How was it out of the box? It's Eyepet meets Seaman. We've seen nothing to suppose that MS will manage to do more than follow Nintendo into the casual space (which is where Sony firmly planted their wagon when they announced Move). I believe much more that it was about demonstrating Molyneux's pet project.

Perceived by who though? The hardcore? Sure, they can skewer it all day if they want, doesn't really matter though. Will young kids care about latency when they see a demo kiosk with some funky Natal app at a store?
Will soccer mom be thinking about the accuracy limitations of Natal when she reads a Natal add in some magazine catered to her? Will rocker girl be crushed at Natal's limitations when she reads about some cool new Natal ad in Teen Whatever magazine? The audience that it's catered to could care less about the tech, so long as there is some compelling content for them. By "compelling content" I mean content that would likely make a hardcore gamer vomit, and that's just fine. The Wii got crucified by just about everyone over it's tech limitations and turns out none of it mattered to anyone other than the hardcore, who I think still continue to harp on it today yet at the same time remain puzzled how it has wildly outsold everyone else.

This is still incredibly vague. Do you have apps in mind? What great breakthrough in motion controls have we seen in 3 years of the Wii beyond Wii Sports (Wii Fit is even more of a genius move, but a whole different peripheral). What sort of game will the little kid see in the Natal kiosk? What sort of software will the soccer mom read about in Soccer Mom monthly? Or do you think Natal's gimmick will be enough to carry it past the Wii?

Tossed it away is maybe a big word? Would the technology have been feasible and affordable back in the PS2 days? I don't think so. At best, they could have worked very hard to have it ready in the early PS3 years. But adding everything up, from the gyroscope and accellerometers to the LED lights, I'm not so sure. I think they could have had this ready a year or two earlier though, which I have to admit may still be considered a big head start, at least versus Natal.

They have played their hand, and there is still nothing yet that screams "yes we will grab new audiences with this".

That's for E3, surely? Response from people who have done actual hands on has been decent enough though. If the Wii is still considered a Wii-Sports box today, then surely it will be an advantage to be able to say, the PS3 does all this and all that, and will even do Wii-Sports too, better than the original. Obviously, they're going for much more than that though, and I think they'll have more work cut out for them to explain that in the US and Japan than in Europe, where Sony has a good reputation in the casual market still.

If Sony were to compete with the Wii with this technology though, they may be better off focussing on getting the message out that the PS3 is also suitable for the kids, as currently Nintendo=kids over here and people will buy Wiis for their kids just because it's a Nintendo and their kids typically have a DS already also. Mind you, I think that a lot of families are discovering that the DS is all their kids need, and the Wii is superfluous, so that may not even be a great market to go for at this point. In which case we're back to the PS3 as a box that can cater to all audiences, young and old, casual and hardcore. Which I think is the idea of their 'it only does everything' campaign, so in itself, that doesn't seem to be a bad approach.

they can't compete on content since you are talking about 1st rev games vs 1st rev games.

Maybe, maybe not. There's an advantage here for Sony in that versus Microsoft, they should be able to benefit more strongly from the links between their product and the WiiMotion+ add-on. The two are practically identical for supporting 3D motion by itself, and the bigger third party developers (like EA, 2k, Sega) have been experimenting and/or releasing games for this technology already. For Natal, it's a much bigger step.

The situation is made worse because Sony is treating their item as an accesory whereas MS is treating it as a platform.

I can't judge at this point if this is true. What are you basing the difference between accessory and platform on?

The problem with Move is that it has taken the direction of being an alternative accesory for the hardcore, with some casual audience games thrown in. The good thing with Natal is that it has taken the direction of being an alternative platform for casuals, with some hardcore games thrown in.

I'm not sure if this is true or if this is a skewed perspective just from Move differentiating itself from the others by being considered the most likely of the three to also being able to bring something to the 'hardcore' (which, imho, is a category that is becoming increasingly outdated - are Madden/FIFA and Modern Warfare players really still considered 'hardcore'?).

It's a big quesiton whether Natal can actually become something in the public eye that stands apart from being tied up to the 360 at the core. Right now, I have a feeling that the PS3 has a lot more momentum going for it.

Seeing Kevin Butler ads? Sure they are cute, but largely useless because the people with whom those ads resonate the most with likely have a PS3 already anyways and/or aren't the type that would really care about buying Move games anyways.

Maybe. But then again they are very clearly not targeted at that audience necessarily. They are very clear about showing that they know what part of the PS3 is likely to appeal to what audience.

Even this is not set in stone, though. There's a big risk in having a Nintendo like killer app that stifles the desire for other games.

Definitely. I think it was a good proof-of-concept demo in that regard. But what will they end up having at launch is the big question - will they actually have that kind of experience, or will it be limited to the ball type demo? Also, I can see that Natal is going to work best when it can detect your full body, no matter the actual space requirements - the system is better going to have a special lense modification to deal with that, because over here in Europe a lot of people won't have that type of space readily available. I know I certainly don't.

Natal has a lot to prove. Sure they can get a lot of attention because of their tech. But that's not going to win the battle, because as you say below:

The Wii got crucified by just about everyone over it's tech limitations and turns out none of it mattered to anyone other than the hardcore, who I think still continue to harp on it today yet at the same time remain puzzled how it has wildly outsold everyone else.

This is mostly because in the end, Nintendo makes good software and puts software first, technology second. For Natal however, I still get a very strong impression that it has been very technology driven. I think there's some great potential for it to be sure, but I actually quite strongly agree with Sony when they say that even with the 3D tracking, there's only so much you can do without an actual controller and while Sony's tech has proven to me very clearly that the response from it is fast enough to overcome the basic lag-requirements. Natal hasn't yet. And the precision from the pressure buttons on the Move may turn out to be essential too.

Finally, there's the 3D factor. It may not become huge this year, but Sony is really up to speed in supporting it. The combination between 3D visuals and 3D control could really work out in the end, and while the 360 can sure support 3D, Sony seems to be way ahead here. At the same time, Natal technology could really come into its own in the next generation, and the lessons (and patent position!) Microsoft is learning in this first phase could give it an incredibly strong position in the next console generation (with a faster and more hi-def camera tech driving it) even if Natal fails in this one.

Regardless of how things end up turning out, it's going to be very interesting to see what all three companies are going to do this year and the next. I'm very excited to find out. If I sound pro-Sony here it's partly because I'm responding to your skepticism towards Sony.

That said, right now I'm personally more optimistic about the Move controller, at least when it comes to what I personally expect to like. The biggest weakness of Natal that I worry about right now is that with the Wii, you could make big, realistic movements to control the games, but crucially in most cases, you didn't have to.

I'm worried that Natal won't have a flick your wrist rather than swing your arm option, and that could hold it back even if the lag would end up being good enough (which is theoretically possible, but I have a hard time seeing how a sampling rate of 30fps combined with a fully camera dependent input method is going to get anywhere near regular controller like response times).

And they have a lot to prove in the software development department too. The 360 has thus far strongly benefitted from being a great platform for multi-platform games. With all three systems offering motion controls from this fall onwards, there's no doubt at all that we're going to see multi-platform games using them. Right now, the situation is:

- Wii has its basic motion controller (includes a microphone, speaker and vibration) and the low priced Motion+ add-on, no camera input (yet at least)
- PS3 has its basic controller (sixaxis motion controls included), the Move controller, and PS Eye input (which has a microphone array)
- 360 has its basic controller (no motion controls) and the Natal camera (which has a microphone array)

If you were to make a graph for this in terms of how multi-platform can take advantage of its features, you'll see that there's a big overlap between the Wii and the PS3, and between the 360 and the PS3, but there's a big gap between the 360 and the Wii. It's going to be very interesting to see how this is going to affect development. I have to go to bed, but it could be a fun exercise to actually take a few of the gaming concepts that have been popular over the last 10 years and see how they would fit into a feature table above.

Of course it could still all end up being irrelevant, if one of the three ends up creating a killer app that eclipses anything else. I'm increasingly skeptical of that happening now - the platforms are way too big for that already, and I think it's no longer up to a single game at this stage - but calling it impossible would be foolish.

Anyway, it's going to be very, very interesting. I'm happy that we're going this direction - I liked the Wii concept, I strongly believe in it and have since day one. Even on the PS3, the ease with which non-gaming friends could pick up a game like Motorstorm thanks to the motion controls was eye-opening (similar to the even more impressive way my 1yo son picks up on the iPhone/iPod Touch controls - I bought a Mac just so that I can get into developing for touch interfaces and write stuff my kid can use to learn and play).

I really want to see the technology become common across all platforms and see this evolve, and in that sense I'm strongly rooting for all three to become a big success.

Actually that article shows Gizmodo don't know what they are talking about. It depends on what audience/market Sony is trying to sell to. Their problem is at the strategic and deeper level, not something as shallow as color choices for commodity CE devices. [size=-2]They may need fashion elements like color and style to sell a commodity. Sony should be rather good at forecasting the batch size of the SKUs to sell into multiple segments at the same time.[/size]

I'll admit, I just saw that picture and decided to included it - it probably wasn't the best choice, but the other article I linked to has some great examples of their strategic incompetence http://gizmodo.com/5477633/how-sony-lost-its-way

Sony released the first e-ink reader years before the Kindle—in Japan only. And it was nearly impossible to load your own content onto it. And it took years to get a solid online library and store together. According to estimates from Forrester Research, Sony had only sold about 50,000 of its Readers before Amazon entered the game with the Kindle. It took a competitor with a superior product to convince customers it was time to look at e-ink readers at all

They really need focus, rather than their current 'lets put everything we can think of out to market and see what sticks' modus operandi, just look at their product lineup:
http://gizmodo.com/5481454/infographic-sonys-overwhelming-gadget-line+up

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah... much better. But there are valid marketing and economics reasons why there are so many models. The trick is to balance the needs.

I do agree with the "not committed enough" and "let's try" syndrome, which result in very fragmented services. They usually cause the "usability gaps" in an end-to-end system.

I don't think PS Move is a Wiimote clone though. It's mainly because Peter Dille's organization failed (and continues to fail) to frame and articulate the ... thing.

I don't deny they're trying to open up existing PS3-owning households, but what makes me think they're selling Move the Wii market is that they've said so themselves.

For instance, these quotes from Peter Dille, Senior Vice President of Marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment America:

"We’re paving a path from the Wii household to the PS3 household; we’re planning to design games that target all genres and audiences, including core gamers, and we’re treating this like a virtual platform launch. This will be our biggest effort of the year."

"We like to think that the migration path between Wii households and PlayStation households is a natural path,"

“Nintendo has done a great job introducing motion gaming to the masses, but (the PS3 equipped with PlayStation Move) is where the Wii household is likely to gravitate, in our opinion.”

(Speaking of how motion sensing is now accepted, thanks to the Wii) "However, these people will soon be upgrading to HDTVs, so we see these Wii households gravitating to the PS3."

And this quote from an Industry Gamers interview with Sony Worldwide Studios VP Scott Rohde:

IG: Do you literally anticipate that people who are Wii owners right now will say, 'Hey, here's another motion control system similar to Wii. I want to upgrade.' Do you believe you'll see a lot of that?

SR: I think so, sure. That's definitely an audience that we're targeting. One of the beauties of the PS3 with the whole ad campaign, “It Only Does Everything,” there's a lot to that. It could mean that a lot of families bring it into the house because it's a Blu-ray player, and [Move] is just another reason for them to bring it into the house. Maybe someone is sitting on the fence about whether or not to upgrade [to PS3] and this could lead them to do it."

Yap, one of the execs explained that based on past statistics, they have always seen a certain percentage of Nintendo console owners migrate to Playstation. Move is supposed to smoothen the transition for this group of people (e.g., children grow up).

That doesn't mean they have to shoehorn/limit the overall PS Move experience into a Wiimote+ though [Rage !]. e.g., These people may decide to try a totally different experiences altogether (e.g., Natal, PS Eye).

eloyc said:
For instance, they could do some kind of presentation summarizing EyeToy/PSEye game releases and showing more stuff, beyond technology demonstrations, things that would make people think "wow, I remember/see that with the PSEye I can also use my body without a controller". It may sound "cheesy" and it lacks precision, but I'm sure you all understood. :p

PS Eye can already do unique and mind boggling stuff, in addition to accurate motion sensing. The sketch recognition, speech recognition, natural interface interaction are all shipping today. But few people outside the gaming community saw them. They can add other stuff like head tracking, puppetry, hand writing recognition, and more if they want.

Milo gets ragged on by the hardcore, but that's because they just don't get it.
And it's praised by the casusal for the exact same reason.

BTW ,Milo demo really doesn't need the camera depth much if at all .Most of the demo is unrelated to that.

And the rest of the tech is still far away ,and much more if you want to make it look and feel as fluent and nice as the fake demo would want us to believe it is.

As for the thinking , just review classic anticipation sci-fi movie stuff.
We've had a lot of these kind of thing in movies for some time now.

I don't think it's a big deal, only, once you're ready to put aside the reality of most of the tech involed ,and present it in a very controled way so you can just avoid most constraints, you can bring it into the real world !

For some you then look like a magician , for the others a heavy cheater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back