PSP Go

This is not exactly PSP Go only, but PSP firmware 6.0 has been released. Only fixed web browser security and added game folder organization.

Sony also showed a new app demo for Japan:
http://www.sonyinsider.com/2009/09/11/sony-demos-x-radar-for-psp/

x-Radar integration allows individuals to interface with Sony Style’s Petamap service which provides social mapping services to internet connected devices including PSPs, PCs and navigation devices. Users can find the locations of cafe’s, noodle shops, or places of interest that have been tagged to the map.

After a connection is made via WLAN to obtain the map, utilizing the “Place Engine” the current location is identified via the WLAN or GPS. Users can then hone in on their destination. Data such as the type of location, type of food served, etc… can all be viewed on the PSP.

The demo will be shown in TGS 2009.

Engadget has a post about a Dutch retailer which isn't going to carry the PSP Go.

They apparently list reasons on their website, all under the guise of looking out for the consumer.

But obviously, there's little incentive for a retail chain of packaged media to sell a device with little margins which isn't going to consume any packaged media.

Beyond the ulterior motive, digital download really is not a good deal for the consumer on home devices: it's not cheaper than packaged media and you can't re-sell it to recoup some of your costs.

Yes, nedgame. Mind you, they have 8 shops or so, and even in the Netherlands they are tiny - they're probably responsible for 0.1% of the market, if that. All the big chains are carrying the PSP Go! as far as I can tell, and they will be selling PSN cards for it (and no doubt take an increased cut on the PSP's retail price, witnessing the PSP Go!s street price of 249,95 euro).

This 'here be dragons' treatment blogs give this news is sorta funny. 'Retailer in the Netherlands says it won't carry the Go!' 'Is it a big retailer, how significant is that?' 'I have no idea, they probably manufacture windmills too.'

Still it'll be interesting to see if more stores are not going to sell the PSP Go. Most stores will probably be okay with it as long as it's just the PSP Go that can only play online sold games. But if this is indeed the future, and we'll get more online only consoles and handhelds, there is a good reason for stores to stop selling them.

This 'here be dragons' treatment blogs give this news is sorta funny. 'Retailer in the Netherlands says it won't carry the Go!' 'Is it a big retailer, how significant is that?' 'I have no idea, they probably manufacture windmills too.'

All the usual sensationalism. For a retailer with only 8 stores, that I had never even heard of, it's suddenly big news and getting a ton of free advertising. Not bad for them I would say, and they can always go back on their decision.

Certainly it would be more significant if Wal Mart or Best Buy took that stance.

Maybe that's why the PSP Go is so expensive, because they have to give retailers some margin.

It can't be good for Gamestop, which makes a fortune on used games. But PSP games are not a big platform.

If Nintendo went to downloads exclusively, then you'd feel an impact.

Obviously video game retailers have nothing invested in a machine that will deprive them of their main source of income - used games.

Last edited by a moderator:
The iPod touch is itself profitable for them. This isn't any different. To be fair, the used record shops I've been to don't usually carry MP3 players at all, or CD players, for that matter. If anything, they might stock a couple turntables.

All the usual sensationalism. For a retailer with only 8 stores, that I had never even heard of, it's suddenly big news and getting a ton of free advertising. Not bad for them I would say, and they can always go back on their decision.

I asked around and it seems like the PSPgo will not be sold in retail stores overhere as well. This, as far as I was told, includes MediaMarkt, which is one of the largest electronic stores througout Europe.

I can understand their stance of course - which wouldn't be any different than a music store not wanting to sell any mp3 players since most content played on those devices are either bought online or illegally.

As a consumer, I find the PSPgo great though. I never wanted to support "digital distribution only" media as I appreciate having a 'hard copy' of what I buy (rather then buying licences) - but in the case of the PSP - the UMD are a pain to use, noisy and use up more battery then playing content saved on my memorycard. As a handheld device, I think the PSPgo is great! I'd rather have a memorystick with 10 games on it than having to take 9 seperate UMDs with me to play those same games.

I think the PSPgo is great! I'd rather have a memorystick with 10 games on it than having to take 9 seperate UMDs with me to play those same games.

Biggest feature for me is the savestate functionality, which I really like. That's almost a selling point for me. I also like the bluetooth support, and if this means I could hook up the PSP to a phone and go online with it anywhere or use a bluetooth headset for voice/skype, that's also a big selling point. But I haven't heard about that possibility yet, so until that's supported I won't get too excited about that. But the savestate functionality I've seen in a video, and that's quick and smooth, and something I'd really like to have.

A big dutch retailer revealed that their stores would get PSN vouchers (europe yaj!), retail games, plus PSN-games that come with a memory stick.
So the shops can still sell the games, at least in Holland.

Biggest feature for me is the savestate functionality, which I really like. That's almost a selling point for me. I also like the bluetooth support, and if this means I could hook up the PSP to a phone and go online with it anywhere or use a bluetooth headset for voice/skype, that's also a big selling point. But I haven't heard about that possibility yet, so until that's supported I won't get too excited about that. But the savestate functionality I've seen in a video, and that's quick and smooth, and something I'd really like to have.

Yeah, the Go is cool for a lot of reasons, which is why arguments that it doesn't justify the cost premium over the PSP 3000 are so specious. Other than what you've mentioned, the 16GB of included storage and the smaller form factor are also big selling points to me. I've alway kinda wanted a PSP. Now I really want a PSP Go.

I don't know if pairing it with a cell phone will be supported, but I think headset support for skype is a sure thing.

It's funny how the savestate thing has been burning through the gaming blogs this week, though. That's a feature that has literally been known about since June.

The real problem is that the profit margin on console hardware is ~$5. Since this thing is specifically designed to eliminate software entirely, why would anyone sell it? If retailers could make a 20% margin on it, might be a different story.

I asked around and it seems like the PSPgo will not be sold in retail stores overhere as well. This, as far as I was told, includes MediaMarkt, which is one of the largest electronic stores througout Europe.

I can understand their stance of course - which wouldn't be any different than a music store not wanting to sell any mp3 players since most content played on those devices are either bought online or illegally.

MediaMarkt is a lot bigger, but even that might not be a problem for the PSP Go. I don't know what it's like in the rest of the world, but if I look at the amount of different retailers that sell games and consoles in my area. I should still be able to easily buy a PSP Go, even if most of the major retailers stop selling them. And the ones that keep selling them might see a sales increase because there are fewer competing retailers.

I thought the PSP Go would be sold with more profit for the retailer compared to the older models?

The real problem is that the profit margin on console hardware is ~$5. Since this thing is specifically designed to eliminate software entirely, why would anyone sell it? If retailers could make a 20% margin on it, might be a different story.

Extended warranty
Accessories
Games via codes like Patapon 2
PSN point cards

Are a few ways to make money without UMDs.

Extended warranty
Accessories
Games via codes like Patapon 2
PSN point cards

Are a few ways to make money without UMDs.

I think the problem is that for the shelf space it's not going to be worth it. I also think that eventually the PSP Go will be bundled with a PS3 at $399, or $100 more than the cheapo machine. Retailers would basically have to sell it and I doubt it costs more than $100 to make.

The argument about retail margin is such bunk. Can you buy milk in a store? A can of beans? How about a TV, or a fridge? Convince me that either of these products is easier to handle and takes up less space per dollar of margin than a PSP Go.

Back