[360] Alan Wake - Still awake

Framerate was terrible (sub 20?) and constant tearing with basically nothing much going on...

I wonder (and I have no clue) whether the tearing can actually be introduced in the video compression exercise. Other vids I've seen (eg. Gamersyde) haven't shown anywhere near as poor a framerate, or any discernable tearing. But those vids on Gametrailers do look like poor encodes and maybe that introduces tearing?

Mr Leadbetter?

yeap leaked vids on youtube are also much much more smoother and with no tearing (at least i didnt notice any)

yeap leaked vids on youtube are also much much more smoother and with no tearing (at least i didnt notice any)
I hope tearing will be fixed or that it's a non issue (video induced).
Other than that I'm the only thinking that tone mapping changes too abruptly ?
I mean may be it's on purpose but sometime it looks like penumbra/shadows are following you or the whole scenery get darker some meters away from you as you're moving.

1UP Preview - Dark and Light mechanics explained more

"The daytime scenes are definitely more about character development and story progression than combat," says Lake. "More often than not, they are there to give contrast and to foreshadow the horrible things to come when the night falls. Just as with any thriller -- be it a book, or a movie or a TV series -- you need to pace things right. If you are constantly hurdled forward at a hundred miles an hour, it all gets exhausting, and you become numb to it all."

New screens

New teaser trailer

[gv]27320[/gv]

I am not sure I can put my finger on it but there is something missing in the way the characters look. They just look weird. That said I will definitely get that game if it is out on the PC.

I just read an article in a game mag, where they talked to the devs:

What I did not know was, that they go for an episodic structure of the game, i.e. the game is subdivided in several episodes (like a TV series, not like a cinema movie the dev claryfied)...he mentioned for instance Lost as an example of the game structure.

What I am thinking about: if you go for, lets say, a Lost type structure...did the dev unintentionally spoil that we maybe get an open ending (to be ready for the next game aka next 'season') and that this is kind of cliff hanger ending game?!?!

I know, much speculation on my side, but interpreting the statements of the dev...

Not necessarily. And also bad form on the part of the dev if true. I remember Simon the Sorceror 2's cliff-hanger ending, and then a 20 year wait for the world's worst 3D game sequel. Finish the game, or at least the immediate story arc, and sell me the whole package. Sell me Game 2 on the strength of my enjoyment of Game 1 instead of holding me to ransom.

I am not sure I can put my finger on it but there is something missing in the way the characters look. They just look weird. That said I will definitely get that game if it is out on the PC.

For me is the eyes than don’t convince, if a character model does not have the right amount of movement and glossiness for the eyes it makes them look like zombies.

What I am thinking about: if you go for, lets say, a Lost type structure...did the dev unintentionally spoil that we maybe get an open ending (to be ready for the next game aka next 'season') and that this is kind of cliff hanger ending game?!?!

Think less cliffhanger and more 'unanswered questions', this being a Remedy game.

Not necessarily. And also bad form on the part of the dev if true. I remember Simon the Sorceror 2's cliff-hanger ending, and then a 20 year wait for the world's worst 3D game sequel. Finish the game, or at least the immediate story arc, and sell me the whole package. Sell me Game 2 on the strength of my enjoyment of Game 1 instead of holding me to ransom.

Its just pure speculation on my side...but I share your concerns.

Some new info.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=232883

Psychological adventure Alan Wake will be the closest thing that gaming has ever come to a top-notch TV thriller.

That's according to Microsoft, who this week told CVG that the Xbox 360 and PC title would "blur the lines" between TV and gaming - and reiterated that the much-delayed game was on track for a spring release.

"Alan Wake is on track from a development standpoint and will play an important role in our Spring 2010 game portfolio," said product marketing manager Laura Disney, commenting that developer Remedy had "really polished the game over the last few months...

...Check back on CVG later this week for our full Alan Wake interview..."

While I agree that some games are more enjoyable when played on a HDTV but that's just lame excuse for such a highly anticipated game. There must be something else going on here and I'm guessing it's about platform exclusivity. New trailer looked fantastic though not showing much gameplay.

It looks a very impressive game on the face of it. I'm sure it'll be a good game - I think the only question is whether it has that extra something that'll make it a great game. No telling really until the reviews come in.

Shame PC gamers aren't getting it, but you never know, there may be a change of heart in 6 months time. *shrug*

Doesn't matter what piracy is, as far as sales are good. How many multiplatform games have PC sales matching those of PS3 or X360?

Also PC system requirements are driving people off. You need to upgrade every year spending 100s of pounds to keep their system at 'playable' conditions.

Also PC system requirements are driving people off. You need to upgrade every year spending 100s of pounds to keep their system at 'playable' conditions.

No you don't. And pretty much any modern system would have played Alan Wake since it would be a console port.

This has zero to do with system capability and everything to do with MIcrosfot wanting a high profile exclusive on the Xbox.

And yeah Renegade, it seems the reasons to own a Windows box over a Mac are getting ever fewer. Ironically thanks to Microsoft. If MS continues in its blatent sabotage of the PC as a gaming machine then I may not bother upgrading again and consider a Mac / Sony based future.

PC vs Console is another discussion. This thread is about the game.
Same goes for modding talk, etc. If it's off topic and gets out of hand, it'll get deleted.

Update: Seeing as some people decided to ignore the warning, the PC vs console posts have now been removed.

Back