[360] Alan Wake - Still awake

The good thing is that the DLC is free, otherwise I would hate them for making DLC picking up directly where the ending left you...But then again, the rest of the DLC won't be free

Finally got my copy of Alan Wake back!

Will try the DLC as soon as possible...

Did someone tried it already? What is the verdict? Is it worth the download :)

Interview with a dev:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-09-alan-wake-remedy-looks-back-interview

I was not aware of the dissapointing sales of this game...sad!
I liked it a lot and thought that it was a great experience overall!
If you read between the lines in this interview, I think it is not set in stone that Alan Wake 2 is produced - I really hope so, because the first game had some great potential, if the work out the flaws in the second part, it could be epic :)

Interview with a dev:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-09-alan-wake-remedy-looks-back-interview

I was not aware of the dissapointing sales of this game...sad!
I liked it a lot and thought that it was a great experience overall!
If you read between the lines in this interview, I think it is not set in stone that Alan Wake 2 is produced - I really hope so, because the first game had some great potential, if the work out the flaws in the second part, it could be epic :)

Remedy should really start thinking when to release a game.
You know it's suicide for sales when red dead redemption sucks up all the sales dollar.

What possibly could be the reason for such low sales of such a big budget game ? Its not even an unconventional game like Heavy Rain. (which ironically sold shitload more than what was expected)

What possibly could be the reason for such low sales of such a big budget game ? Its not even an unconventional game like Heavy Rain. (which ironically sold shitload more than what was expected)

Well releasing the game too close to Red Dead Redemption, the lower than expected scores/reviews and the not so good marketing from MS are some of the reasons I guess.

Also a game like Heavy Rain might be an unconventional game but it's a game that even a casual gamer or even someone who has never played a videogame before can easily play.

There was a pretty heavy smear campaign against this game in most online forums that started long before it came out. Maybe they generated enough negative word of mouth to affect sales. The game is very good. I imagine being somewhat short and lacking multi-player hurt it quite a bit as well. People tend to buy the multi-player games and borrow or rent the single-player games. In the case of xbox360, piracy could have been a bit of a factor as well, though I don't know how big piracy on the platform really is, since you have to mod your xbox and everything. People tend not to pirate the multi-player games, since they don't want to mess with their gamertag being banned. Huge expectations might have also been a problem, since this game was hyped for many many years. Early announcements and perpetual development can hurt titles, in my opinion.

Alan Wake reviews were generally very good. It average 83 on metacritic, with user reviews at 87. It's not an all-time great, but reviews are good.

How long is the playthrough of the DLC?

Took me about an hour... and a half or so on first pass. I was trying to be very thorough with the environments though and I died a lot. Second time, I busted through it in ~20 min but that's running for it and also knowing what to do in certain situations. Skipped a lot that way though.

Like others have said, it's very heavy on the shooting aspect, so I suppose it's hit or miss *cough* if you like that. I enjoyed it.

I imagine being somewhat short and lacking multi-player hurt it quite a bit as well. People tend to buy the multi-player games and borrow or rent the single-player games.
Yes lacking multiplayer would be the biggest reason I think (*), there is hope though, look at uncharted 1.
when uncharted 2 came out (with multiplayer) so many ppl enjoyed it that they went out and brought uncharted 1.

Yes its a bummer that games need multiplayer to boost sales but its a fact of the market today.

(*) another title is god of war 3 it sold only 3or4 million, big hyped title but its not gonna sell 10+million unless multiplayer is added somehow

I wanted to buy it, but I only had enough to purchase one game at the time and that game was Red Dead Redemption. Probably my best decision ever. RDR is my game of the year. I love Halo, but there's no way I can see Reach ever coming close. I'll pick up Alan Wake when it's at about $20(new or used).

Tommy McClain

Yes lacking multiplayer would be the biggest reason I think (*), there is hope though, look at uncharted 1.
when uncharted 2 came out (with multiplayer) so many ppl enjoyed it that they went out and brought uncharted 1.

Yes its a bummer that games need multiplayer to boost sales but its a fact of the market today.

(*) another title is god of war 3 it sold only 3or4 million, big hyped title but its not gonna sell 10+million unless multiplayer is added somehow

Hm, isn't it quite understandable that multiplayer mode boosts sales?

You have a SP game only, gives you about 15hours gameplay.
Add MP mode, you can get additional 15hours+, if the game is good and the MP as well...in Uncharted 2, my online playtime is about 1,5 days up to now!

I think a lot of people simply expected something different from this game. I know I was incredibly disappointed when I found out that the game was basically a run of the mill tps at its core (and a rather basic one at that). This was the second big disappointment after the ambitious open-world design was scrapped. I expected more brains than brawns. (I still bought the Limited Edition) Then the PC version was canceled, and that made a lot of people really angry and vocal on message boards.
Review scores were good, but they weren't great, and when disguised PR outlets like IGN or Gametrailers score something lower than a 9 it just stops being noteworthy in people's minds. After all a 9+ from GT is like candy from a pedophile. After 6 years the fans expected nothing less than the second coming of Christ I guess.

I don't think lack of mp is a huge factor in a game like AW, or most games for that matter. At least on forums the notion of tacked on mp features tends to gets way more bad than good responses from gamers. Sure, Uncharted 2 may have a quality mp component, but that didn't stop a sp game like Assassin's Creed 2 from selling about a bajillion more copies.

RDR was obviously another big factor, and seriously, who the fuck releases a horror game in late spring?

Played the signal dlc and dam the monster encounters are intense but nothing to sweat about. Like how this boss was a bit more challenging without flaregun i wasted mine shots.

A screeny from the new upcoming xbla Alan wake release.
Q2QwR.jpg

Interesting. They've either bumped up their framebuffer quality three notches, or... this is not what the game will look like.

Back