Diablo III - It's official

BTW - How good are Amazon.com at their release date delivery thing?
Regards,
SB

They've never missed it for me yet, but it's going to depend on your carrier. Amazon may get it out of their warehouse on schedule, but if the carrier in your area is inconsistent. . . .

I've had the Diablo 3 collector's edition pre-ordered since last Oct, but as of today they still haven't put release day delivery on it and my order says a delivery of May 18th. Unacceptable to this nerd. That either changes or I'll buy it from a local brick 'n mortar.

I went ahead and ordered with the release day option so it should be here May 15 (that's what the order page says anyways :p). If they use UPS that means it'll get here sometime around noonish. If it's Fedex it'll be earlier than that by a couple hours.

Perhaps cancel and reorder or give them a call to swap shipping. I don't think they'd change shipping without buyer input.

[edit] Or heck, I just noticed on the Open Orders page in your account you can manually change the method of shipping (button for Available Actions). That's probably what you should do.

Regards,
SB

I've had a pre-order on the books for months for the collector's edition at the UK multi-national chain "Game", and now they're busy going bankrupt and selfdestructing over there... :???:

It's a bit muddy, but from what I can tell the swedish branch isn't as badly affected as the UK parent company, but I'd be mightily PO'd if I'd have to go out hunting to secure a new source for my collector's edition boxes at the last minute... (I have WoW Panda and Starcraft II expansions on pre-order there as well.)

I think TXAA should come to 500 series cards too.
What's with 256-bit memory bus ? Is nVIDIA specifically targeting people with low resolution monitors ?

I've had a pre-order on the books for months for the collector's edition at the UK multi-national chain "Game", and now they're busy going bankrupt and selfdestructing over there... :???:

It's a bit muddy, but from what I can tell the swedish branch isn't as badly affected as the UK parent company, but I'd be mightily PO'd if I'd have to go out hunting to secure a new source for my collector's edition boxes at the last minute... (I have WoW Panda and Starcraft II expansions on pre-order there as well.)

You might want to check on that. Game wants to sell stuff but some of the suppliers won't give them stock without being paid up front. It's a downward spiral, as you can't make any money if you can't get the likes of Mass Effect 3 into your store (EA refused to supply them any copies).

However, one of the big banks have taken a chunk of their (now penny) shares, and there's a couple of electrical retailers sniffing around the corpse of the company. Unless something dramatic happens, Game will go down or be sold off when their rent is due next week, so I wouldn't assume any pre-orders are going to be honoured.

Yes BZB, but like I said, the Swedish subsidiary looks to be in better shape and might not go down with the rest of the company. ...Maybe. I just don't know at this stage. Fortunately D3 isn't due until may, and the other releases are even further off than that.

Diablo III will be open beta for everyone with a valid Battle.net account over the weekend, starting tonight friday at 21:00 CET, until 19:00 CET on monday.

The game client is already available for download from Blizzard ahead of schedule, but failed to actually download and install the game when I tried to run it. Maybe the servers are kinda...choking, I dunno.

Anyhow, here's a heads-up for you guys. Maybe one or two who aren't irrationally angered by the forced always-online DRM cares enough to actually want to try out the beta version. ;)

I kicked off the beta d/l this morning before coming to work. Once I'm home tonight and can verify it's working I'll be glad to PM my Battle.net account so we can co-op it.

Hah... From the looks of it I can pretty much forget to play D3 on my Macbook... Even the title screen chugs like...err...hell. It's far from 60fps running on Sandy Bridge integrated graphics at 1280*720, I may have to knock the rez back even further than that. Blizzard isn't even using a hardware cursor on the Mac I'm sad to report. They're gonna have to fix that or controlling the game at low-fps situations is gonna be a real chore!

The title screen looks really nice and rich on my PC though! :D

Hah... From the looks of it I can pretty much forget to play D3 on my Macbook... Even the title screen chugs like...err...hell. It's far from 60fps running on Sandy Bridge integrated graphics at 1280*720, I may have to knock the rez back even further than that. Blizzard isn't even using a hardware cursor on the Mac I'm sad to report. They're gonna have to fix that or controlling the game at low-fps situations is gonna be a real chore!

The title screen looks really nice and rich on my PC though! :D

D3 is surprisingly demanding, especially when you're in the middle of physics heavy situations, destructible environments, 20 monsters on your screen. My friend has a pretty solid rig and during those scenarios his FPS would plummet. I was surprised to see that I get FPS spikes, here and there with my system, as well. I blamed lack of optimization, though.

It looks great, though, if you're playing it full detail at 1900x1080.

If you watch some of the video's that have hacked in wireframe, you can see there's physics interactions for pretty much everything in the world that isn't just background scenery. Everytime you hit something there's a spray of physics particles and objects for example. As well as physics on the clothing I believe. Spell effects, etc. all generate physics interactions.

So if you get into a situation with lots of destructable objects with lots of enemies and you can have things flying all over the place that have to be calculated.

Regards,
SB

I've played a mage now for several hours. I reached to the end of the graveyard, and the game isn't exactly super easy. The unique monsters in particular are actually quite tough, much harder to kill than any uniques you encountered in ol' Diablo II. Well, short of the mslebs and teleporting/healing mobs that Blizzard patched out of the game eventually, that is...

The game plays very differently from D2 as well, and I'm not entirely sure how to feel about that. I'm not entirely convinced the skill system is all that great, and the way it automatically unlocks new skills and runes for you without you having to actually do anything doesn't really appeal that much to me either. It feels a bit messy and disorganized, the way things are separated into left mouse button skills and right mouse button skills, and then number key skills that all seem to be cooldowns. I only have one unlocked so far so it's difficult to tell how they're all supposed to work.

I guess they did this to accomodate fucking console players, mapping primary and secondary skills to the shoulder buttons and the number keys to the front face buttons. Well, that's what I assume anyway. I could be wrong. :p

I'd enjoy the system more if I was allowed to remap buttons to something that feels more comfortable for me, but that's not allowed unfortunately. Guess I need to buy a fucking Xbox controller to play the game properly. :devilish:

Graphics look really nice. The Cathedral dungeon is quite remeniscent of Torchlight, with the way you see distant scenery that resemble rooms and catwalks and whatnot. Everything's way more detailed than anything in Torchlight of course. The music is quite muted and doesn't stand out quite the way it did in the previous games, but maybe that's just because the visuals distracted me.

There's some occasional choppyness in graphics, like the game isn't triple buffering when you enable vsynch. No other bugs or wonkyness that I was able to spot though, despite its beta status. Well, as much beta as it can be, mere weeks from final release.

Only US realms are available to test on from what I understand, even so lag was minimal. A couple times I snapped back a few steps, and sometimes a mob would whack me even though I wasn't near it, but it didn't seem like a very big problem. Certainly way better than the game ever was back in D2 days when I was playing on Euro battle.net realms. Heck, D2 could become desynched when you played locally! So, the netcode certainly seems quite stable and robust, even during a stresstest. Doubleplus good for Blizzard! :LOL:

The inventory system is mostly the same as it was in D2, except most items only take up 2 slots, meaning you won't have to play inventory tetris anymore to fit as much junk as possible. Some interface clunkiness still exists, you have to click the "accept" button when switching skills on your mouse buttons for example or else the change won't register. Oh well. Nothing is perfect, and maybe the rough corners will become ironed out in a couple patches...

The game looks quite promising on the whole though - I'd say it's dark and bloody enough to deserve carrying the Diablo name despite peoples' fears some years ago. There's certainly plenty of blood and puke flying about in act one at least, and I don't expect things to get any better later on either. :)

Even so, there's some hilarious voice acting also in there just like in the previous games also, the comments on the skeleton king from the shirtless guy standing at the bar in the inn made me lol.

D3 is surprisingly demanding, especially when you're in the middle of physics heavy situations, destructible environments, 20 monsters on your screen. My friend has a pretty solid rig and during those scenarios his FPS would plummet. I was surprised to see that I get FPS spikes, here and there with my system, as well. I blamed lack of optimization, though.

It looks great, though, if you're playing it full detail at 1900x1080.

Have you tried seeing how many cores it benefits from?

SC2 seems to only have used 2 cores, which really "hurt" older/slower quad cores, hoping D3 won't suffer from the same issue on my PC

Trying to decide whether or not to test the beta...Too long to download and too few days to play;)

Have you tried seeing how many cores it benefits from?
Seems to use two cores only.

Looking at the graph in Task Manager, its threads bounce around on the physical cores only (leaving 4 graphs entirely untouched), loading them to roughly 50%. It's fairly spiky graphs and I haven't done any in-depth analysis, but from the looks of it the game only really use 2 cores at a time.

game is gauntlet not diablo, while i love gauntlet thats still disappointing. Dont like the enclosed feel of it even when outside. I think its a little hard to judge game mechanics at only level 10-13.

Hm, can't really say the game feels more enclosed than D2 did. While overworld levels could be quite large they were also often very empty (act 1 and 2, I'm looking at you...) and very uniform in general appearance despite the supposed randomization; I feel the levels I've seen so far strike a good balance between exploration and level design-driven progress; you don't have to run back and forth TOO much to map out the whole area.

I enjoy the skill system more now that I've hit level 10 and unlocked more stuff. It looks like the game might actually be a lot of fun. I have a mercenary now too, and I enjoy the repertoire the hero and the merc share between them. Overall there's a LOT of speech in here, much more than I expected. The lore is very enjoyable too. Graphics is great on the whole. Could perhaps have been even more detailed, but shit, it's been long enough of a wait as it is! :D

Only played mage so far. Well, alright then, wizard! The freeze beam is quite effective early on, then it sorta loses its punch once you gain the exploding orb thingy. It's simply a lot more effective to damage several foes at once. The spark spell gets very effective too when you are able to rune it, but before then I prefer to stick with magic missiles.

Overall difficulty goes up and down a lot IMO. When you get towards the graveyard I felt the game was quite hard, but then after saving and quitting for the day and relogging the next day, suddenly I was almost wading through monsters. I'm wondering if my skills hadn't been scaling up properly in strength as I dinged new levels or somesuch! Anyone experienced anything similar?

Anyway, after hitting level 10 and gaining the mercenary, regular monsters became total cake. The skeleton king guy whacked off half my health initially, but I was able to heal up with orbs without too much trouble. That was on the second attempt. First attempt was rudely interrupted by me getting thrown back out to the menus; first time ever that happened. Fortunately there's a checkpoint right outside his chamber, so I hardly lost any progress at all.

His uberdrop contained a yellow polearm, which neither I nor hireling could use... Meh/bah! :D I pulverized it and got a Fallen tooth (and some dust or whatsitscalled, I think) out of it.

Mac Diablo 3 is just hopelessly impossible to play on my Macbook. Too friggin' slow! This game absolutely needs Ivy Bridge graphics, or maybe even better to run decently. I whacked all the settings down to lowest except for shadows and clutter, which I kept at second-to-lowest to not turn them off entirely and at 800*600 (lowest rez would go on my Thunderbolt Display at least) screen updates still chugged BAD.

I got some desynch issues too which did not happen on the PC, making me wonder if the game isn't weirdly CPU-constrained too with just a laptop dual core CPU. Could of course just have been a bug with the Mac client; who knows or maybe issues with disk paging. From my experience, OSX is just horribly awful at anything involving disk I/O, and me running full-drive encryption on a 2.5" 5400RPM HDD surely doesn't help either.

Safe to say, I did not play long on the Mac. Just to confirm that it works, and it did; sorta. PC is where it's at, though, with this game. For sure. Still, game drops frames for no apparent reason. Disabling vsynch doesn't help, I just get tearing on top of the drops. Poor optimization I assume, as it happens even when there's absolutely no on-screen action whatsoever. *shrug*

Very much looking forward to the final release, I must say. This game looks like it can REALLY rock, and will probably kill off any wish for me to play WoW for quite a while. ...As well as any other game I suspect!

I have a mercenary now too, and I enjoy the repertoire the hero and the merc share between them.

Play through again with the same character and Mercenary. When your current mercenary meets his double the conversation becomes highly amusing. :) It was a nice touch that Blizzard foresaw this happening and included dialog for it.

I'm wondering if my skills hadn't been scaling up properly in strength as I dinged new levels or somesuch! Anyone experienced anything similar?

Your spells/skills basically scale mostly with your weapon damage. Attributes modify them somewhat but not nearly to the extent that weapon damage does. Hence in the early levels it can pay off to focus on vitality if you find the game somewhat challenging.

Even after the changes in the past few patches to increase difficulty, I still find the BETA extremely easy in most cases with no bosses offering much of a challenge. That's why I'm looking forward to the retail release and higher difficulty levels. My plan is to blitz through the game once in singleplayer in order to unlock a higher difficulty level before starting multiplayer.

The alternate plan is to buy 2-3 more accounts so I can have them sit in town doing nothing. That way at least monsters will become slightly more difficult. :)

Regards,
SB

Yeah, I played with my sister twice over and never even near dying. The final boss has a lot of health but hi summoned minions provide enough health orbs to keep our health high enough.

I played three different classes: wizard (solo), barbarian (with my sister playing witch doctor), and demon hunter (with my sister playing monk). Personally I think demon hunter seems to be the weakest (although I only played him to level 9). Overall I enjoyed barbarian the most, with leap, frenzy, etc. The female barbarian model is quite nice :)

Back