Are you going to get GTA4?

Are you going to get GTA4?

• Total voters
I ended up going with the 360. After a long debate I chose the higher res and AA (would have most likely made a noticeable difference on a 65" 1080p tv). Hardest purchase decision in 2 decades of gaming (lol).

I find it odd that so many sites are recommended the PS3 version to have the graphical edge when it is running approx. 20% less resolution and no AA. Ultimately it makes one wonder if the same compromises "should" have been done for the 360 version given the methods for the PS3 seem to be gaining more acclaim.

As far as the "slightly more" pop-in on the 360, could this be an issue of the 360 streaming more data due to the higher resolution??

It's probably a design choice. May be they thought they could do it without the pop-ins and screen tear, may be the 360 team wanted to target 720p regardless (The Halo 600p incident might also reaffirm their decision), ...

I am glad they make different versions for different hardware anyway.

It's probably a design choice. May be they thought they could do it without the pop-ins and screen tear, may be the 360 team wanted to target 720p to meet the HD specs (The Halo 600p incident might also reaffirm their decision), ...

I am glad they make different versions for different hardware anyway.

I havent noticed screen tear in over 2 hours of playing. Is this something everyone with the 360 version is claiming??

i recall dot50cal mentioning it over at GAF (he obviously has both versions). some people notice it more than others. also depends on the display. from the videos i've seen, there is some slight tearing.

the more videos i see, the more tempted i am to buy it.

I cant wait to see what GTA4 looks like on PC. If this game would have had more AA it seriously would look incredible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got my copy today (PS3) and had a chance to sample it on a nice 50 inch pioneer plasama. On that TV (with limited ranged applied like require for that TV) it looked pretty incridible, all things considered of course. Later tonight i will have a chance to check it on my 720p PJ and in a few days on my new 1080p.

Did anyone try and play with the different resolutions and notice if the game does the upscale itself and if, how the framerate adjusts.

DOt50cal, as usually the job you do on videos and gifs is acclaimed as unbiaised, could you do here a resume on your feel about both (between hurt as a lot of people seem put put words in your mouth).

This is the first game that utilizes the Euphoria.. Have you guys seen any large differences in animations (the ones in fights, as most probably the cut-scenes use motion captures) that looks different than what we have seen in previous games?

Edit: most->motion

After reading the PS3 is at 620p with no AA but less texture pop-in I'm completely torn on which platform to buy. 720p + 2xAA but more pop-in on the 360...Argh.

After reading the PS3 is at 620p with no AA but less texture pop-in I'm completely torn on which platform to buy. 720p + 2xAA but more pop-in on the 360...Argh.

After reading impressions on gaf, doesn't seem like pop in is much of an issue on the 360.

We just got both versions here at work and did a/b comparisons on an lcd tv. Lighting seems more or less similar on both, but the resolution difference is glaringly obvious. the PS3 version is clearly running at a lower resolution. We looked at similar locations back to back and the stair stepping on the PS3 version is much worse, so much so that I couldn't help but notice it everywhere. I seriously doubt the PS3 version is running at 720p, it appears to be significantly less. Anyways, I'm glad I did the comparison myself instead of trusting the magazine reviews. After seeing both in action its a no brainer to me, getting the 360 version today.

We just got both versions here at work and did a/b comparisons on an lcd tv. Lighting seems more or less similar on both, but the resolution difference is glaringly obvious. the PS3 version is clearly running at a lower resolution. We looked at similar locations back to back and the stair stepping on the PS3 version is much worse, so much so that I couldn't help but notice it everywhere. I seriously doubt the PS3 version is running at 720p, it appears to be significantly less. Anyways, I'm glad I did the comparison myself instead of trusting the magazine reviews. After seeing both in action its a no brainer to me, getting the 360 version today.

Yeah, the best way is to experience the game yourself. I'll be tracking down to the nearest GameStop during lunch to check out the PS3 version.

EDIT: Just noticed your post says 620p, Mize. Should be 640p.

Back