Resistance 2

R2VSGEOW1.jpg

Is it just me? Or anyone else finds RE2 to be a bit.. underwhelming :cry:

So what?

Implementing effects when you dont have to care about performance isn't particularly hard.

Plenty of games that have "in-engine" prerendered cutscenes that uses techniques that are simply impossible to on current hardware in a game at a decent framerate.

It doesn't mean that the engine will utilize this tech in realtime in the future. (mostly because with new hardware we usually build new engine, and because we develop "smarter" rendering techniques all the time.

Again, it means nothing at all.

I didn't say anything about whether its easy or hard, I just said its there.Why do I care if it was easy for the dev or hard? Where does this come from? All I am saying that,eg., They have put DOF in the cutscene, but the DOF is not optimised enough to be used in-game right now, but maybe, maybe, in the future they'll optimise it enought to be used in-game.
Also, it shows what the devs like and would like to implement further down the line, even if the hardware changes. It also shows the line of thought and their priorities about what they beleieve will make the game look more cinematic. There is no competition going about what will bw hard to and what won't be. Its pure speculation about what is on the way to become achievable and whats on their mind.

http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/R2VSGEOW1.jpg

Is it just me? Or anyone else finds RE2 to be a bit.. underwhelming :cry:

Well it looks better than the first game but that one didnt stand out (that much in contrary to this one].. but had a decent amount of fighting characters.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "excuse" they keep bringing up that they pre-render them only for loading purposes is pure BS and it is just a poor excuse for their lack of time/talent, or even worse - lack of interest, to optimise the cutscenes to run in realtime.

But factor in the HW, what if they just cant optimize it more to do that in real-time hence pre-rendered with the engine?

Its seen in other games to where effects and more is enhanced over the ingame play graphics. Would the ingame play have had that graphics it would probably be a slide show.

Slideshow cutscenes and increased loading time or pre-rendered cutscenes and shorter loading times?

Please tell me I didn't just read a complain about these vids being "pre-rendered".

I hardly think something rendered using in game assets (models and textures) could be included as "pre-rendered" in the sense that we are used to..

Pre-rendered simply means its not being rendered in real time....

As long as the pre-rendered cutscenes does'nt have as big of a difference as e.g gameplay vs CG in Final Fantasy games it's fine.

Besides, going by the pre-rendered scenes in Ratchet & Clank versus it's gameplay and the same in R1, it won't be a big difference.

However, I always prefer the realtime scenes where you can control the camera somewhat or that your unlocked skin and gadgets is included in the scenes the second playthrough.

Pre-rendered simply means its not being rendered in real time....

Yes, except traditionally, individuals use the term "pre-rendered' to describe something that is absolutely impossible to render with the hardware.

Your assumption that this couldn't be done on PS3 in real time is REDICULOUS.

It's done ONLY to mask the load times, just like it was done in Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank Future, etc. All of that is EASILY attainable when you script everything (as it is) and remove the necessity for heavy physics, AI, and you can literally control what is on screen at any given moment.

Edit: Spelling isn't my strong point, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
It actually is a big deal from various reasons. First, like a fellow forumer said (-bobobologna- ):

So what if they use in-game assets? I'm talking about real-time rendering. They can have as many characters/effects/sounds/physics simulations going on if they don't have to worry about how long it takes to render a frame. But for actual gameplay, there obviously is a limitation as to how much you can do in a single frame. I'm just skeptical that the cutscene was rendered real-time, not that the art assets used aren't the in-game art assets.

Second, a pre-rendered cutscene (because as long as it is a video file it is pre-rendered in the full sense of the word) will eliminate any kind of interaction (like zooms or camera/depth of field control ) and will make extra costumes or weapons or characters or any kind of character customisations completely usseless as they will not appear in the pre-rendered cutscenes.

Third, HD video files take huge amount of space, space that could be used for other things, space that is literally wasted.

The "excuse" they keep bringing up that they pre-render them only for loading purposes is pure BS and it is just a poor excuse for their lack of time/talent, or even worse - lack of interest, to optimise the cutscenes to run in realtime.
I don't think any sane person would give up all the benefits of the realtime rendered cutscenes for a few extra seconds worth of loading time. It is unconcievable.

Actually, no.

I think it depends on the situation. If doing interactive cutscenes takes up too much gameplay development time, I'd rather the developers focus on gameplay development. The custom cutscene benefit you mentioned is interesting but I don't play the game to play "dress" (There is a separate game for it).

If a dev has other interesting gameplay ideas that take time and resources to implement, it is well worth it to do pre-rendered cutscenes. Afterall, R1 has slideshow cutscenes and it's still my favorite PS3 game. I consider MGS4 cutscenes the best yet, even so, I like the gameplay even more.

In short, it has nothing to do with talent or lack of interest; it has something to do with scope, purpose and focus. To put things in perspective, Insomniac releases 1-2 games every year. All of them look great. R2 is the most impressive so far. No other developers I know are this productive.

As long as the pre-rendered cutscenes does'nt have as big of a difference as e.g gameplay vs CG in Final Fantasy games it's fine.

Besides, going by the pre-rendered scenes in Ratchet & Clank versus it's gameplay and the same in R1, it won't be a big difference.

However, I always prefer the realtime scenes where you can control the camera somewhat or that your unlocked skin and gadgets is included in the scenes the second playthrough.

Yeah, I think people are jumping the gun. We only saw one cutscene and some went berserk. :)

It's not like R2 is made entirely up of cutscenes. Even in R1, part of the story is illustrated using gameplay.

The R2 cutscene gives us a fresh look at Nathan Hale (He talks now !). It also gives us some background about one of the leafy levels. We can also catch a glimpse of improved technologies such as mo-capped animation and improved lighting. We are almost misled by the soldiers' inability to move while firing :)lol:).

The pics in the scans are really good and some of the enemies make me wonder whether it is Resistance at all ;) ! But innovation is appreciated, especially after having had too much fun with R1 , I am sure Ted Price will decide on the right things again!

BTW, when is the game going to look like this ;) !
2ltkbig.jpg

Roughly.

So far, I have not taken a detailed look at the visuals while in-game.

Sometimes, the enemies hid in the shadow during sunset (and then I just die). I hated it when that happened in a particular area rather frequently. Sometimes, we got mixed up with the enemies in the forest. I can't tell what's what because everyone was running around so quickly. Most of the time, the enemies and us put up shields that block our view partially.

It was clear that the game's still under development but it was also obvious that lighting has changed for the better. We have not seen the final visuals though.

Roughly.

So far, I have not taken a detailed look at the visuals while in-game.

Sometimes, the enemies hid in the shadow during sunset (and then I just die). I hated it when that happened in a particular area rather frequently. Sometimes, we got mixed up with the enemies in the forest. I can't tell what's what because everyone was running around so quickly. Most of the time, the enemies and us put up shields that block our view partially.

It was clear that the game's still under development but it was also obvious that lighting has changed for the better. We have not seen the final visuals though.

Uh...breaking NDA? I think there will be a significant difference between online graphics and singleplayer.

Uh...breaking NDA? I think there will be a significant difference between online graphics and singleplayer.

Ha ha, what I described have already been seen in public gameplay trailers.

The MP games implied lot's of head room in SP scale, interactivity and dynamism. So yes, I think SP levels will be stunning in comparison.

I think it's Gears 2. Wherever it's from though, I think the big difference is just the extremity of texturing - art style and not engine. Model detail doesn't seem much different at a casual glance, while the lighting in the R2 pic looks better. The only downside I notice seems to be texture resolution, a little bit fuzzier on the R2 monster. If that R2 critter had more pronounced normal mapping and messier textures, it could probably be swapped into that other game just fine!

I think it's Gears 2. Wherever it's from though, I think the big difference is just the extremity of texturing - art style and not engine. Model detail doesn't seem much different at a casual glance, while the lighting in the R2 pic looks better. The only downside I notice seems to be texture resolution, a little bit fuzzier on the R2 monster. If that R2 critter had more pronounced normal mapping and messier textures, it could probably be swapped into that other game just fine!

It's just that the titan doesn't have a lot of sharp angles and the texturing doesn't have as much contrast to it, makes things look smoother and less hostile, which is a bit of a problem. Whereas the beserker looks look like something the player shouldn't go near, the titan looks like something that I would try to run towards and try melee in the ass. I think it's a good looking monster though, just not as menacing.
Indifferent2.gif

Back