Uncharted : Drake's Fortune*

Isn't every FPS game you've ever playd after Doom...too familiar? (1) I find this argument completely lacking. In the terms of breadth of this genre - this is one of the most innovative games to come out this year.(2)

1. Some are, yes. Some aren't.

They don't always have to be, especially if a game becomes a kind of 'best-of', taking the best of its predecessors and executing that near perfect (something like, say, Resistance which didn't have a lot of originality, but did do some things very right).

In the case Resistance (ignoring the multiplayer) it was fine, because I hadn't played FPS games for a long time. But for Uncharted, that's a genre I've played a lot more of.

Therewith I'm not saying that Uncharted is a bad game. It's just that right now it's not exciting me.

2. Why?

1. Some are, yes. Some aren't.

They don't always have to be, especially if a game becomes a kind of 'best-of', taking the best of its predecessors and executing that near perfect (something like, say, Resistance which didn't have a lot of originality, but did do some things very right).

In the case Resistance (ignoring the multiplayer) it was fine, because I hadn't played FPS games for a long time. But for Uncharted, that's a genre I've played a lot more of.

Therewith I'm not saying that Uncharted is a bad game. It's just that right now it's not exciting me.

2. Why?

Because this genre is so underdeveloped. It's mix of Gears of War gunning mechanics, and Tomb Raider exploration and puzzles - is, in my eyes, innovation. The fighting (read shooting) has always lacked in Tomb Raider...and so to form a game that has both...as you say a "best-of" would be innovative...if not innovative then at least extremely exciting.

This is the kind of game I've been waiting for. First Heavenly Sword and then Uncharted to dilute the horrible saline waters of gaming (for this metaphor salt=fps/tps) :p

I'm not really excited about this one yet. I haven't watched too many gameplay videos, but the combat looks pretty simple and a bit slow. The platforming, or Tomb Raider, element doesn't look like it's bringing anything new to the table either. It has some nice stylized graphics, and the slo-mo bits in hand to hand and acrobatic jumping is a nice touch, but the effect will wear out pretty quick. It is nice to see someone try to make a game that's good in both areas.

Assassin's Creed, Uncharted and Heavenly Sword are my type of games. They all are unique and exciting to me, but it can be hard to see by simply watching trailers.

For example, Heavenly Sword's acting + embedded action (or is it gameplay + embedded movie ?) has a lot more impact and power in-game than in trailer.

I hope Uncharted (and AC !) has an equally engaging story, level design and pace. Their visual and environment is already top notch.

Assassin's Creed, Uncharted and Heavenly Sword are my type of games. They all are unique and exciting to me, but it can be hard to see by simply watching trailers.

For example, Heavenly Sword's acting + embedded action (or is it gameplay + embedded movie ?) has a lot more impact and power in-game than in trailer.

I hope Uncharted (and AC !) has an equally engaging story, level design and pace. Their visual and environment is already top notch.

Ditto :)

AC looks a lot more interesting to me than Uncharted. The free running and climbing looks really incredible. The ability to climb just about any surface will add a new dimension to sandbox gameplay. Uncharted's platforming doesn't seem to be a great departure from anything we've seen before.

AC looks a lot more interesting to me than Uncharted. The free running and climbing looks really incredible. The ability to climb just about any surface will add a new dimension to sandbox gameplay. Uncharted's platforming doesn't seem to be a great departure from anything we've seen before.

I think they serve different purposes. It's like comparing Zelda and GTA. The former is more deliberate about building up certain ways to progress the game, while the latter is more free form but generally less intense. As for environments, I like Uncharted's attention to details and AC's openness (and their NPC AI pitch).

Eitherway, they will be able to bring happiness to me. I believe level design, story and pace will have a larger influence over the final experience -- compared to game archetypes.

I'm a bit uncertain about AC as well. The fighting doesn't look that much fun, and the free running and climbing looks nice, but seems to be almost free of gameplay. I know that sounds weird, but it seems to be a simple matter of pushing where you want to go and if you can go there, he will. No timing or skill necessary. But the crowd interaction and such could well offer a nice alternative. I'm sure they've thought of something to keep skill involved. ;)

Does every game have to be innovative? I'd be happy if Uncharted does everything real well with high production values and interesting gameplay.

What I'd like to see out of this genre is some kind of online component. No I don't want to have death matches with other Drakes.

Maybe you control the girl pictured in some scenes and you work co-op to solve some puzzles -- have her stand on some switch to activate it, which would otherwise take a single player much longer to solve. A little LBP action would not be a bad thing.

So far Uncharted looks fine to me. The graphics are very good. The animation is fairly good, too. And it seems like a combo of Prince of Persia + Hand to Hand Combat + guns. Surely, it's not the most innovative combination, but if it has a refined gameplay with good controls, what is there not to like about it?

BTW, is it a free-roam gameplay with missions ("tasks") or level-based? I'd really would like it to be the former. It'd be cool to explore the island rather than linear level running.

Only thing so far I really didn't like is the "camera motion blur" when the camera moves / is moved rapidly. Completely unnecessary and it looks just awful.

Does every game have to be innovative? I'd be happy if Uncharted does everything real well with high production values and interesting gameplay.

I think people are using that I word loosely. As long as it's different or have some unique feel/identity, people should be able to relate to it.

What I'd like to see out of this genre is some kind of online component. No I don't want to have death matches with other Drakes.

Maybe you control the girl pictured in some scenes and you work co-op to solve some puzzles -- have her stand on some switch to activate it, which would otherwise take a single player much longer to solve. A little LBP action would not be a bad thing.

"Co-opetitive" treasure hunt would be cool. Sometimes you collaborate, sometimes you compete for items.

So far Uncharted looks fine to me. The graphics are very good. The animation is fairly good, too. And it seems like a combo of Prince of Persia + Hand to Hand Combat + guns. Surely, it's not the most innovative combination, but if it has a refined gameplay with good controls, what is there not to like about it?

BTW, is it a free-roam gameplay with missions ("tasks") or level-based? I'd really would like it to be the former. It'd be cool to explore the island rather than linear level running.

Only thing so far I really didn't like is the "camera motion blur" when the camera moves / is moved rapidly. Completely unnecessary and it looks just awful.

Yeah... I forgot about controls.

I am under the impression that it will be level-based with platforming. You probably progress linearly as opposed to choosing which mission to take, and in what order.
Personally, I am with wco81 -- Some new form of online component. But I think it's already confirmed that this is a SP only game ? Or am I mistaken ?

Is 6million polygons a lot for a level?

"Kill, when you speak of GT5 and polygons, I say to data here of the game ........... the level to you of the water with jetski it is of but the great ones and it has about 6 million polygons but the reflection in real time of the models in the water with bump mapping, refraction, to jitter, shades, etc ........ aside from personages, physical, AI, volumetric explosions, bla bla bla smile_:)......."

Jetski level 6million polygons.

"Winstrol, I can assure to you that the game goes fluid to 30 fps .............. at some moments up to 45 smile_:) activated yet. But the idea is not to lower of 30 fps." No lower than 30fps :) Sweeet!

(Q & A from DarG, a Naughty Dog spanish designer in a forum.)

We haven't seen a great deal, but everything shown so far suggests a standard laid-out level fare. I don't think you'll have the chance to wander at will through the jungle.

I think uncharted will have one or perhaps several big location(s) with linear paths which you can always backtrack through.

I totally agree. From the vids the platforming and combat look ok, but neither looks exceptional. If it can do one of the two very well, I'd be happy.

Em... can someone kindly translate the text in this link pretty please ? It's supposed to be a Q&A with an Uncharted designer: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8067141&postcount=2023

I tried to use google translate: Don't waste your time.

I don't read spanish very well (that I read it at all is because I know a number of other foreign langauges) and it took me very long to work through. I did get most of it. It's a moderately interesting interview, relatively informal and open. I think it'd be worthwhile if someone translated it. Key things I got out of it were that the framerate will never drop below 30fps (it reaches 45fps often already), that you'll have jet-ski sections, and that they are using a lot of effects, which means they won't push as many polys as say GT5 (which they mention together with 6 million polys ... ). Also they are 720p only, as they don't think the current generation of consoles have enough memory to have good enough textures for 1080p.

I totally agree. From the vids the platforming and combat look ok, but neither looks exceptional. If it can do one of the two very well, I'd be happy.

Personally I like the combat. The transition between hand to hand and shooting fights is highly well made. The animation and progression of hand to hand fights is probably the most incredible work I ve ever seen in a game of its type.

I dont know much about the other elements though.

Is 6million polygons a lot for a level?

"Kill, when you speak of GT5 and polygons, I say to data here of the game ........... the level to you of the water with jetski it is of but the great ones and it has about 6 million polygons but the reflection in real time of the models in the water with bump mapping, refraction, to jitter, shades, etc ........ aside from personages, physical, AI, volumetric explosions, bla bla bla smile_:)......."

Jetski level 6million polygons.

"Winstrol, I can assure to you that the game goes fluid to 30 fps .............. at some moments up to 45 smile_:) activated yet. But the idea is not to lower of 30 fps." No lower than 30fps :) Sweeet!

(Q & A from DarG, a Naughty Dog spanish designer in a forum.)

Thats a lot of polygons, wonder if it is the sum for several redraws of a frame. Remember SP:CT with ~5x100k polys per frame or with SM3.0 ~3x100k per frame.

But yeah from what has been shown from videos this game runs silky smooth. :smile:

Ok... gotta love the Internet. Someone over at PSINext translated the spanish interview: http://forums.e-mpire.com/showpost.php?p=1702058&postcount=1281

VG Aficionad said:
- They're still optimizing the frame rate, will end up running at constant 30 fps. Sometimes it goes up to 45 fps with all effects on, but they aim at constant 30 fps as already mentioned. Less than 30 fps is considered a bug.

- All textures have been drawn, there are no scanned textures. That's why it looks somewhat cartoony.

- Jetski level has 6 million polygons + water reflection + refraction + bump mapping + jitter + shadows + a good number of characters + physics + AI + volumetric explosions + etc :p

- It should take 12 hours to complete.

- The AI will learn your behavior and react accordingly. Experienced gamers will have a hard time. They're proud of the AI.

- There are no scripted events when you fight with the AI. You'll never see the same situation twice (to some extent, of course).

- No auto-aim.

- The effects still aren't final. They'll improve close to the very end of the project for optimization's sake.

- There's a lot of stuff we haven't seen yet. It's like a movie where a lot of things happen, and it will have lots of varied action: shooting, fighting, platforming, puzzles, enigmas, races, treasure hunting ("you'll be finding things"), etc.

- Real time HDR lighting: if there's a sunset, everything on screen will have a reddish tone. Everything will be real time.

- 720p allows better geometry. We might not see anything better than Uncharted geometry-wise at 1080p.

- PS3 devkits let them know all the game stats when they're developing it (duh): GPU load, texture memory, level memory, shadow memory, buffers, how is streaming affected, frame rate, etc.

- "I love the AI. The fact that it learns from the player's actions and that it adjusts the difficulty itself is awesomenage. We haven't even exploited half of what the Cell can do. Besides the CPU power, we've got the GPUs (sic) inside the PS3, where you can send some tasks to spare Cell from "digesting" them, so that you get more free CPU time. PS3 still has a lot of untapped power."

- They didn't have the time to include a co-op mode and getting the game finished in November. Tons of ideas left out of it, might make it to Uncharted 2. (This is usual in game development)

- Nathan Drake has 3000 animations.

- Real time cutscenes, no prerendered stuff. It's all real time, in-engine.

Back