So, do we know anything about RV670 yet?

Most people plan their upgrades. They will have a window where they can decide what to purchase.
Huh, the vast majority of upgrading I've seen people go though is simply because their current hardware doesn't run whatever they play or would like to play as well as they would like it to, and they want to resolve that issue as soon as possible. I've watched that happen on the forum of pretty much every hot new game; people come in asking what to upgrades they need to get the game running smooth, look at the benchmarks, and then as soon as they can manage to acquire it, they do. Believing something significantly better is just around the corner can give them pause, but otherwise most people I've seen tend to just pick from what is on the market as long as will get their game running how they want it to.

IMHO why should anyone expect that AMD will have faster middle card? Better price/performance is possible altho not very likely, cheaper with close performance definetely is possible, but faster ?
They are unable to beat 1y old G80. And anyone who wants to pay 250$ for gaming card will give 20-30 more and get the faster one. No reason to think AMD will be faster.
If they are - its time to start jumping up and down and screaming loudly about that.
What? No AMD PRs jumping&screaming? Case closed, whatever OEM deals they'll get it'll be cause of better/lower price + useful features like UVD+ useless "features" like 10.1 , game enthusiasts will go for NV, again.
Remember though that (educated) enthusiasts are still a small % of the market. At most retail stoes, average joe will still go with what ever thats cheaper (price is king) and/or DX10.1 (o_O) ..

I hope we aren't seeing ATI settling into upper-midrange performance targets because that's what OEMs want most and what OEMs want most was certainly a large concern of the old ATI but apparently is nearly mantra-like at AMD these days.

Sure, I want them to make money too, and the big bucks are in the $150-$250 range. I just want them to make money and bid for performance leadership.

Probably too high an expectation for a refresh tho.

i was able to pre order the 8800gt from buy.com for $236.54, not available anymore though. also clubit had msi version up for 229 + $6 shipping. seems to be $250 will be the maximum one should look to spend on the 8800gt, and perhaps invest in a better after market cooler.

i was able to pre order the 8800gt from buy.com for $236.54, not available anymore though. also clubit had msi version up for 229 + $6 shipping. seems to be $250 will be the maximum one should look to spend on the 8800gt, and perhaps invest in a better after market cooler.

Yeah. Price has been mentioned at $229-$249. The 256MB at $179-199.

Pretty impressive you found a pre-order for the MSRP, and not jacked up as is the norm.

My quess:
hd3850 512mb 169$
hd3870 512mb 199$

Well, the rumored price on Rv670XT was $229-279 (Yeah, an oddly large spread). They may cut it down, but I doubt it. Even if they lose the performance race to the 8800gt they still have 10.1, size/heat/power/OEMs to fall back on. That being said, A nice $149-$200 spread for 3850 (256/512mb) - 3870 512MB would be a pretty enticing line up, and not entirely out of the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't the HD3850 going up against the 8800GT 512mb while the HD3870 against the new GTS?

I.e HD3870 MSRP of $249~299
and HD3850 $199~249

My quess:
hd3850 512mb 169$
hd3870 512mb 199$

I heard, that final prices are:
hd3850 256mb $199
hd3870 512mb $249

But I think, they will not stay long at these. ;)

And D3D10.1 could not so be useless as some people think.
I heard shadow-algorithm of UE3 and maybe some other upcoming engines, will only work right under D3D10.1 with MSAA, because under D3D10 you could not read AA-samples from Z-buffer.

I hope we aren't seeing ATI settling into upper-midrange performance targets because that's what OEMs want most and what OEMs want most was certainly a large concern of the old ATI but apparently is nearly mantra-like at AMD these days.

Sure, I want them to make money too, and the big bucks are in the $150-$250 range. I just want them to make money and bid for performance leadership.

Probably too high an expectation for a refresh tho.

I think the new naming scheme is a big hint that this is the direction they are going.

Something like ATI Radeon 3870 is easier to sell to large businesses and corporations than an ATI Radeon HD 3800 XTX. Things like GS/GT/GTS/GX/XT/XTX, etc. all appeal to younger people who feel that things like this denote an innate ability to go fast. Just look at the glut of cars in the 80's and 90's using those same monikers to appeal to a young crowd that wants to think they can go fast.

Also, looking at this release where the high end will follow the mid-range/performance mid-range by a few months. Almost a complete 180 from the past few years.

And this is most likely driven by AMD management feeling the pressure to return to profitability or at least come close. The best way to do that is to gain traction in the OEM market. If you can get contracts with multiple large OEM's, that'a guaranteed money in the pocket for however many units the contract calls for.

As opposed to retail market volatility. Where you may end up holding onto large quantities of stock if the product doesn't sell well.

IE - OEM market you have a target you know you have to meet ahead of time. Retail market, you take a big guess on how much you think you can sell and hope it's not too much or too little. Too much, and you have a lot of money sitting there depreciating. Too little, and you have to spend extra to try to ramp up production even more.

Regards,
SB

I heard shadow-algorithm of UE3 and maybe some other upcoming engines, will only work right under D3D10.1 with MSAA, because under D3D10 you could not read AA-samples from Z-buffer.
I heard that you can force AA in UT3 on every GF8 out there with latest drivers.

A compact view of the additions and requirements for DX10.1, straight from an AMD document:

56342428cg4.png

43549145rv8.png

Looks like the main emphasis on this DX iteration is to deal with the deffered rendering issues and promote GI implementation.

So does that document *finally* confirm DP for HD 3800 series? Specifically "increased precision for floating point operations"

It's about the rounding precision, as far as it seems.
DP will be an architectural dependent implementation for custom purposes.

does this mean 3800 will not have problem with AA like 2900 did?

A new feature of DirectX 10.1 allows all AA buffers to be accessed directly by shaders.Previously, it was only possible to access multi-sampled color buffers; it was impossible to access information from a depth buffer for each sample individually This allows developers to implement more advanced custom AA techniques using a combination of shaders and dedicated
hardware, much like ATI Radeon HD GPUs do today with CFAA.

Back